• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:45 AM

I still remember my first drive down 395. Had truck with a shell on it. I was early November. I froze. The truck froze. Had to stop and buy antifreeze after it unfroze.

Did you get some antifreeze (Hic...) for yourself to unfreeze?:D

When I lived in Mammoth Lakes I saw alot of frozen engine blocks driving a towtruck.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#12 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:39 AM

I love the Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains. They're one reason I like desert camping so much - your pictures are outstanding.

BTW, a Chevy 400 in a Toyota with 33" tires and a FWC? Awesome! To think I was happy with my '87 with the 22RE, 31" tires and a simple camper shell.

#13 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:21 AM

Patrick,

WOW! I guess we should have gone a little farther up 395.
Great shots! We were not one of the five pop ups you saw. We got up behind Lone Pine last night after Death Valley for two nights..Good trip.I'll try to get a trip report together

Funny on the shots with the rig in them. I get a hard time for taking to many:D

TT

#14 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:48 AM

Really good pics. Thanks for sharing. When i see your truck on the road i'll make sure to wave.
Free and Easy Down the Road I Go 2003 Eagle

#15 Mushhuskies

Mushhuskies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:29 PM

Those are some awesome pics Patrick! I noticed that you have installed some sort of air dam between the camper and top of your truck. I also have that gap with my rig ( the perils of buying used vs. a custom fit) and am wondering if thats working for the buffeting and gas mileage? It kinda looks like a modified Yakima rack or something????
Mushhuskies 2005 Toyota Tundra with a 2003 Granby Shell

#16 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:42 PM

Whoooweee, those are some nice photos!

I drove 395 last Thanksgiving from Bishop to Lone Pine and I loved the scenery. Those fall colors and sugar frosting on the Sierras is stunning. Very nice work.

And the newer FWC on the old school 'Yota is a really nice looking set up as well.

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#17 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:43 AM

Those are some awesome pics Patrick! I noticed that you have installed some sort of air dam between the camper and top of your truck. I also have that gap with my rig ( the perils of buying used vs. a custom fit) and am wondering if thats working for the buffeting and gas mileage? It kinda looks like a modified Yakima rack or something????

Hi Mushhuskies,

http://www.wanderthe...hread.php?t=307

This is a link to a past post that should explain it for you.

I just bought a sheet of black HDPE, high density polyethylene 6’ x 1’ x 3/16” for $12.06 + tax and will be shipping to a friend to make a faring just the size he needs.

The before and after is amazing. There is hardly any wind noise above the cab. There are no bugs to clean on the back wall. There is no positive pressure blowing in when the back slider is open. Driving into a head wind the cab is a lot less noisy. As far as gas mileage, for my engine???:D

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#18 Mushhuskies

Mushhuskies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for the link....I was using different search terms and didnt see this thread. As to the mileage...duh:o ...missed the size of the motor. Damn, thats a nice looking toy there! Looks like you've set it up to tackle most anything.
Mushhuskies 2005 Toyota Tundra with a 2003 Granby Shell

#19 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:01 PM

Patrick,

Just reviewed the link you posted on the deflector design, thanks for posting. I'll be building one similar to yours in the future.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users