63 replies to this topic

#1 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

I/We now have a date for our trip to San Ignacio Lagoon and other great places this coming Spring. At least three of us will be crossing at Mexicali Monday morning, March 25, 2013. We found that it's best to get into Mexicali early so we can get our Visas before lunch. Otherwise we'll need to wait until after 2PM. If you live north of Los Angeles going in through Mexicali adds only 20 mile over a TJ entry, and it's a way easier and a much more senic drive to Gonzaga.

We had a wonderful time last Spring and I encourage any of you who have never been to "The Whales" to join us for a life altering experience. One of the really great things about traveling with Gene Rubin and Phil Salazar et al is we have live music every night.

I'm not in charge of any of this ( I gave that up when I retired) so folks can plan their own agenda. As we get closer to leaving I'll give you Pam and my agenda so you'll know where we'll be on specific dates.

If you have any fears I can only tell you that there is safety in numbers and we had absolutely no incidents last spring nor did any of the people we ran into on the trip. Here's a video taste of our trip;

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#2 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

Sigh, if only I could. We will be taking a week off a month before then. Being a working stiff, vacation time will not accrue fast enough to join you. It almost appears this is becoming an annual thing for you? I think 2014 may work out for me if so. No need to reply, just keep in mind if you consider going again then.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#3 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:52 AM

I'm in. Ted, it likely will not be an annual thing. Maybe other trips to Baja but not necessarily the grey whales trip. You might consider rearranging your plans around this trip. I figure you've seen our video already but just in case:

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#4 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:02 AM

One of the really great things about traveling with Gene Rubin and Phil Salazar et al is we have live music every night.

Here is a related quote I came across:

"Life was hard for the pioneers but every now and again, someone would get out the fiddle and make it all worse."
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#5 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Here is a related quote I came across:

"Life was hard for the pioneers but every now and again, someone would get out the fiddle and make it all worse."

......Or even worse a banjo!

Hey Y'all

There were some scheduling problems and the San Ignacio time line needed to be modified slightly. So here is the new Itinerary for those of us crossing at Mexicali;

Early A.M Friday March 29th - Cross into Mexico at Mexicali
After getting tourist cards on the 29th we head for Gonzaga.
We'll spend Friday night March 29th and Saturday March 30th in Gonzaga.
Sunday March 31, after stopping for a $20 beer at Coco's Corners, we'll make our way to Laguna San Ignacio and camp there overnight.
Whales on Monday April 1st.
We plan to leave the lagoon when we get back in from whale petting April 1st and head over to Bahia Concepcion.

Last year we used this operator to go out into the lagoon;
http://www.bajaecotours.com
Because of their location it is a shorter boat ride out to the whales but a much longer drive and difficult to find at night.

When we first went out to the whales over 20 years ago we used Pachico. He and his famed boatman Chema are legend down there. Pachico used to be El Ejido Presidente. It's much easier to drive to his camp and even though the boat ride is a bit longer you still spend the same amoung of time with the whales. So after confering with a few of my fellow travelers we decided to use Pachico this year.
http://www.pachicosecotours.com

After the whales Pam and I would like to stay at Santispac or some other nice beach on the Sea of Cortez side for a few days. I know some folks want to go surfing over on the Pacific side but I think we're going to spend some time kayaking in Bahia Concepcion but we're flexible to all ideas so let me know yours.

Jay

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#6 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

Jay,

I totally agree. Getting into camp in the dark last year was an exhausting travail with all the dirt roads heading off in all sorts of directions. Finding Pachico's campo is simple and an the extra 20 minutes on the boat to reach the whale viewing area is a smooth ride. Plus, I'm happy to support the "real McCoy" rather than the "me too's" who came along years later with their American funding.

Gene

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#7 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

Happy to hear this. We used Pachico's last year and will again. His son "Ranna" runs a good operation. He told us many stories of his father's exploits.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#8 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

Are you guys going to be able to join us?

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#9 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

......Or even worse a banjo!

“A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the banjo and doesn't.”

Mark Twain

#10 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:00 AM

I was going for the cheap laugh and should have chosen my words more carefully and I apologize . You know who you are.

Some of the most beautiful instruments made are banjos and I wish I kenw how to play one .

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users