33 replies to this topic

#21 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

Although this is an old thread, I thought I would toss my two cents in.  I have a Palomino Bronco on a long bed king cab F250.  I have it because the person who sold me the truck told me she wasn't going to take it off. So from a spartan camper on my old truck 2004 Ford F350 Diesel, I now have hot and cold running water, a commode, a shower inside and a shower outside, furnace, threeway fridge and  AC.  Pretty plush for me, a long way from the granite mountain ledges and small tent out in the Sierra with Doug Stewart and other wanderers. 

My All Terrain Camper shell is way plusher than that mountain ledge but only slightly fancier than that small tent.  The nicest thing is getting out of bed by standing up!

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#22 Greatbasinguide

Greatbasinguide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast California

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

I am glad that you can get up by standing up!  My process is a bit different, I crawl to the edge of the bed, dangle a foot until I find the settee, brace myself on the kitchen shelf and sort thunk to the floor, Don't know what I will do as I age into further crikityness.

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in wild places, or boats:)."

#23 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:18 AM

I am glad that you can get up by standing up!  My process is a bit different, I crawl to the edge of the bed, dangle a foot until I find the settee, brace myself on the kitchen shelf and sort thunk to the floor, Don't know what I will do as I age into further crikityness.

We call that process our morning yoga. Made more challenging by sleeping north/south with our heads toward the inside. :lol:

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#24 Texan76

Texan76

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:31 PM

Thought I'd revive an old thread to comment on some of the 2014 Palomino changes I've noticed.

Looks like they have got rid of the problematic leaky two piece door and went to a one piece rounded door similar to the FWC style. They also have gone to a Reico-Titan electric roof lift. Also, not sure, but they might have gone to aluminum framing. I saw a pic of the underbed storage, and it was framed with aluminum instead of the wood used in the past.

Obviously, the palomino is no FWC, but if you are not doing any serious off-roading and want all the creature comforts, it may be worth a look. It seems they are trying to address some quality issues with their new product.

#25 Texan76

Texan76

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

Also just noticed that the Palomino has an external battery trickle charge connection. This would allow you to attach the popular solar-in-a-bag easily.

#26 Texan76

Texan76

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:02 PM

A few pics.

announcements-2014-soft-side-nose.jpg

announcements-2014-Rear-door.jpg

announcements-2014-Charge-Port-and-Furri

#27 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:32 AM

I actually really like the way they look, but durability and quality would be my concern.  I'd rather pay $8,000 more and get something that will last.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#28 JCMatthews

JCMatthews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:58 PM

I looked at Palomino a year ago before the new campers came out.  Their build quality was poor.  The interiors of the new ones look the same.  The exteriors look better.  I just looked on their website, and it appears that the backpacker series has aluminum framing and the smaller one piece rounded door.  The SS800 which is designed to fit a short bed full size truck, comes in at a whopping 1447 lbs. Not sure why so heavy, they don't even have hot water as an option on the short bed model. Maybe the fridge is made of lead.

Jared '05 Tundra

#29 hmt

hmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationWest of East

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:15 PM

I just looked at a few new Palomino over the weekend and was hopeful with the recent changes. Unfortunately, what I found were five different campers with interior or exterior flaws. Staples pulling out, moulding separating, etc. I was really surprised the dealer had them where a customer could see the issues (one did not have to look hard, at all).

#30 park

park

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • LocationWickenburg, Arizona

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:19 AM

I also looked at the Palomino prior to buying my Fleet FWC.  No regrets on spending the extra for the FWC.  In my opinion, the Palomino is poorly made.  I would stay away from it unless someone gives you one!

Blogsite:  http://www.nowhereto...ur.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/parkkitchings

Instagram Account @parkkitchings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users