Photo
- - - - -

Registering your pickup as "PM" or noncommercial in Ca. to save weight fee?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 hpcbmw

hpcbmw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cal

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

I saw a post recently about taking your truck with the camper mounted on it to California DMV and getting the registration changed from commercial to noncommercial. It's not entirely clear, but it sounds like it would save the
"weight fee" when you pay your registration. On my 2000 F250 the weight fee is $204.00. Does anyone have personal experience with this in California? If you are able to change the reg, it looks like you get a different license plate (apparently commercial plate has a different letter/number combo then non commercial).

If the registration is lowered by the "weight fee" (in my case $204) that's pretty significant. But, what if I take off the camper to move furniture or haul my 5th wheel - am I now a target for a ticket?

Thanks for any input.

1997 4 wheel Camper Granby model on 2000 F250 extended cab 4x4 diesel.

#2 PeterV

PeterV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTruckee, CA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

I registered my truck as such (with the camper on full time). It did save me the entire weight fee and I do not plan to ever drive without the camper on (it's not a daily driver).

Indeed the license plate is different - it's the same format to a car (3 letters). The pickup plate (with fee paid) has only 1 letter in it. So it would be easy for police to spot the difference - and indeed you would be liable in that case. The DMV agent told me that she has seen people go to the DMV after being busted for this; and they were retroactively asked to pay the weight fees for previous years + penalties which added up to thousands.

So my 2 cents: if you plan to drive without the camper on (especially regularly), it is not worth the risk and potential penalties. Even in my case I am a bit nervous of eg. having to repair/temporarily take the camper off and driving around without it...
---- 2007 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Long Bed, 6-speed 4x4 2008 FWC Eagle

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

I registered my truck as such (with the camper on full time). It did save me the entire weight fee and I do not plan to ever drive without the camper on (it's not a daily driver).

Indeed the license plate is different - it's the same format to a car (3 letters). The pickup plate (with fee paid) has only 1 letter in it. So it would be easy for police to spot the difference - and indeed you would be liable in that case. The DMV agent told me that she has seen people go to the DMV after being busted for this; and they were retroactively asked to pay the weight fees for previous years + penalties which added up to thousands.

So my 2 cents: if you plan to drive without the camper on (especially regularly), it is not worth the risk and potential penalties. Even in my case I am a bit nervous of eg. having to repair/temporarily take the camper off and driving around without it...

Peter V this is good info.For my 2 cents I have always heard that if there isn't anything in the bed even a spare tire you can drive around without the com tag.BUT I don't think I would want to take the chance.
I don't take my camper off but I am going to wait until I get closer to my new tag date to change.I am not sure you can get a refund when changing.
I haven't checked with DMV or AAA yet.When I do I'll post the info.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 M1010 Mike

M1010 Mike

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

I was going to do this as well since our camper in on 99% of the time but decided not to for that 1% if I need to pull the camper off for work on it or the truck. It is a BIG fine if you get caught, way more than what the yearly cost would be.

1984 Chevy M1010 Ambulance - Desert Turtle Build Thread
Sold: Build Thread on American Adventurist Dodge Ram and FWC Build

#5 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

HPCBMW,
My friend did this about a year ago lowering his registration from $744 per year to $150 (2009 Dodge RAM 1 ton 4WD)
He has a shell mounted permanently and tows a 25 foot trailer. He researched through the auto club (CA). They said he couldn't haul building materials without the commercial plate and he said if he does he will cover everything with a tarp.

I read somewhere that with an open be you could only carry suitcases.

My Eagle is bolted down full time. I haul lumber for small projects as I have the shell model so I am sticking with the commercial plates. Annual fee for Tacoma is $331. It is not worth the ticket and fine.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

My camper is on 100% of the time but for the hassle of dealing with the DMV/AAA I just didn't want to go there.My weight fee is $80.Yes $80 is a tank of gas but....I could see if your weight fee were several $100's it might be worth it.
Thanks for bringing this to the thread for us to think about.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

I bought my 93 Dodge W250 used in 2000 and it had a stockland bed cap on it. I have always registered it non-commercial. I have always kept the cap or the camper on the truck. If I haul something it is always coverd by the cap or in a few cases a tarp. I have hauled equipment on trailers from the local rental yard to do work around my house from time to time.

I have never had a problem but I do live in a small city in a rural area so maybe lucky as much as anything else.

My advice is to call the local CHP office and ask them about it. I can imagine there are some differences locality to locality. I think they will tell you how they make a decision when they see a pickup registered non-commercial.

Regards,

Craig

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#8 Phil Sergent

Phil Sergent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:02 PM

Went to DMV yesterday to register my 2014 F-350 as noncommercial.  I have a Leer shell on 'permanently'.  No luck folks.  

The DMV was very clear, as was the DMV form (256A) I provided them; it must be suitable for human habitation.  Here's the exact wording "Human habitation is living space which includes, but is not limited to: closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures, and bath or toilet rooms." 

The person at the DMV was very sympathetic to my situation and even went to his manager to ensure he was interpreting the law correctly.  During the process he did ask if the vehicle was with me, so they may check if you exaggerate on what is really there.

In the end I'll live with the situation.  I really don't want to fudge with the DMV, receive the reclassification, and then find myself pulled over by every CHP that wants to see how all of the required amenities fit under my Leer shell.  

#9 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:12 PM

I have not changed mine as I do use a pick up a few times a year and getting a fix it tickets years ago.  

I had a 1969 one ton Ford van to haul my flat track racing motorcycle in. Inside finished with paneling and carpet. Registered as a "house-car" to save the weight fee. Had a CHP follow me for over 30 miles before he turned on the red lights. He asked for my license and registration. It was late at night and he shined his flash light inside.  He then told me my house-car was laden with motorcycle.  Just a fixit ticket but the most expensive ticket I have ever received. If you carry any thing in a shell with non commercial plate I would close your curtains. 

#10 M1010 Mike

M1010 Mike

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:04 PM

I did actually change mine over to an RV registration to remove the $250 weight fee. Haven't been an issue but I also have personalized plates so unless they were ran in the system, no one would ever know there was a change.

1984 Chevy M1010 Ambulance - Desert Turtle Build Thread
Sold: Build Thread on American Adventurist Dodge Ram and FWC Build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users