• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 742 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Forgive my presumption. This first post takes information from a number of "off-topic" posts from the original thread: Dual-purpose rear floodlights started by JHanson

The discussion started with how to modify the OEM back-up camera in Toyota Tacoma's tailgate, but some of the solutions are general purpose and can be used for any truck.

Add your own post to forward the discussion - all trucks, all solutions are welcome. I tried to copy the previous posts exactly and give everyone proper credit. Message me to add to this first post or to correct my errors. Thanks.

====================================

steelhead asks:

[D]id you do anything with the rear view camera in the JATAC? I find myself using it more than I thought I would but can't figure out a place to relocate it so it is usable with the tailgate removed.

====================================

steelhead provided me with this link to takesiteasy's blog Travels with Rocky from June 2012 on Relocating the OEM Tacoma camera

=====================================

camper101 replies:

I got a new one and screwed it to the wood under the camper. You can't tell it's there unless you're looking. It's not an OEM camera (I wanted to leave the original in the tailgate, and I couldn't find a way to secure an OEM camera to the camper easily, but you could if you build your own bracket). I also got another Tacoma camera/tailgate wiring harness and spliced into that so it still displays on the rearview mirror (so basically I didn't mess with any of the original parts).

The old camera is still good to go if I put the tailgate back on. The wiring harness has a plug that you just pull out when you remove the tailgate (they call it "quick release" or "plug and play" or something, it's very easy to unplug), and I got an extra one of those for maybe $40. So the original camera/harness is unharmed. I wasn't sure how the splicing would go, so I got the extra harness to be safe and left all of the original stuff alone.

FYI the extra wiring harness I got is the tailgate harness.

The camera is a cheapo off ebay for like $15, but I guess you could spend more and probably get a little more. Mine has worked since October, and it's been through plenty of weather so far. I have an identical one sitting around for when this one dies (for $15 why not?). Actually I think this is it: http://r.ebay.com/JsgKPY, maybe the price went up a few bucks.

To make the camera work with the rearview mirror, you have to splice into the Tacoma's system somehow -- unless you run wires up to the cab. I wasn't comfortable messing with my brand new truck (I'd never done anything like this before) so I got an extra wiring harness. An old email says that it's part 82182-04010 from ToyotaPartsZone.com, price $30. When you take off the tailgate, you easily unplug this wiring harness from another set of wires in the frame of the truck (instructions are in the owner's manual for removing the tailgate -- it's so easy that even I got it on the 1st or 2nd try...). I believe this part is the same for all 2nd Gen Tacomas, but I'm not sure.

The camera is a 12v camera, so I powered it from the reverse light. Then, you've got to connect the camera's video to the wiring harness. There are 4 wires in the harness, 2 for power (which I didn't use -- the Tacoma camera is 5v or 6v as opposed to most backup cameras which are 12v) and 2 for video. My camera's output is Yellow Video or RCA, so I snipped off the yellow plug and connected the two wires inside to the appropriate wires in the wiring harness. Plug in the harness, put it in reverse, and ideally you've got video. I got the colors of the wires off TacomaWorld.com:
http://www.tacomawor...amera-help.html

You can also get an OEM Tacoma camera and skip the splicing, but I didn't know how to mount that as easily as the eBay camera, and I wasn't sure if it'd stay dry if it wasn't in a well-built housing. And those cameras cost $60 or so, so I didn't want to learn with more expensive parts.

Note that the gridlines are in the Tacoma's mirror (in my case at least) so if you buy a camera with gridlines, you'll have 2 sets. They also won't be perfectly straight unless you are perfect at installation.

I don't know which RCA wire goes to which wiring harness wire at the moment. I can try to dig that up if you have a hard time finding the answer. Basically one is positive video and one is negative video, and I had no clue what that meant at the time, but I probably made a note of it somewhere and could figure it out.

Posted Image

Bosque Bill replies:

I also didn't know the grid lines were in the mirror (or the mirror's video interface, I guess.) Maybe there is a similar camera without gridlines as the one you link to has. How did you deal with the double grid lines?

Here is the wiring list taken off the TacomaWorld post you linked to:
1- CY- (WHITE) CAMERA VIDEO NEGATIVE
2- CY- (RED) CAMERA VIDEO POSITIVE
3- CGND (BLUE) CAMERA GROUND "SHIELD"
4- CB+ (BLACK) CAMERA POWER

If I remember my electronics correctly, standard composite video is a 1 volt signal, so it probably doesn't matter what voltage the camera requires, so your solution probably works very well.

Sounds like the Toyota harness is not really needed, if one could find the appropriate connector.

camper101 replies:

I just ignore the extra set of lines -- so far they haven't blocked out whatever I'm about to back into. I was a little disappointed when I first saw that I had 2 sets, but I really don't notice. I only pay attention to the set from the camera since they're colored and they seem to line up with where the camper ends.

========================================

BobD posts:

For the Tacoma the backup camera part number is 86790-04010 GP-KD5301RC and they can be found on EBay for around $30-40, supposedly the dealer is charging $700. The wiring harness part number is 82182-04011 and you can get that from Olathe Toyota for $40 (includes shipping). I'm still figuring out how/where I want to mount it, but having a complete second unit is a nice option. Hope that helps.

Bosque Bill adding links for BobD's post:

The eBay listing at the Round2Store now seems to be $50 + $5 shipping. That's the only seller that google turned up, though lots of results pointed back to the same seller.

Several places with names that claim to to be selling genuine parts, such as toyotapartszone.com and toyotaparts.com, are selling the wiring harness for just over $30 + shipping.

========================================

PeterV posts:

I just finished installing my aftermarket backup camera last week, works great so far.

I used this camera:
http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with this LCD i mounted in the center console (in the little "hole" the nissans have that is the size of an ashtray):

i also had to get an extra long RCA cable:

i ran it alongside the stock harness all the way to the front / zip ties on the frame etc... then up through a hole I found in the firewall.

Wired the monitor power to an ignition source + a little custom switch.
Wired the camera power to the license plate light in the back (easy source to find power). It's always on when the lights are on (so during the day I flick the switch when I'm backing up). I chose to do this instead of the back-up lights because 1) it was much easier to access/do it this way and 2) now I can use it on demand and not just when I'm in reverse... (oh also, I put my camera inside the trailer hitch, as I'm not using it right now, but it can be easily relocated)

Just another experience/way to do it if people find it interesting..

==========================

steelhead adds:
I looked at the camera in the link below at a car stereo store today. It flush mounts in the bumper and comes with its own drill bit. I plan to take a closer look to determine if it can be connected to the 2nd gen Tacoma wiring to the rear view mirror. I really liked the sample mount in the store - secure and out of the way.
http://www.bossaudio...w-camera-cam22/

==========================

Here is a post on TacomaWorld that shows getting to the OEM camera and how one fellow modified the placement.
(hat tip to steelhead)

=========================

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#2 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

I have been using my lazy man's approach (written up in the blog linked above and in my signature) to relocating the camera for about 9 months. Two observations:

1. The major benefit of my approach is the ease of doing it- very simple solution. I don't notice the difference in view from the stock location anymore. It works fine for backing up and quick checks for obstacles. It is no substitute for using mirrors and a spotter in tight situations.

2. I haven't put the tailgate back on even with the camper removed because of the slight bit of work involved in moving the camera back into the tailgate. I'm just driving around without the tailgate currently. I anticipate putting the camper back on as soon as the weather improves. Having a second camera and harness would be a good solution to my laziness factor except that I think the camera in the new location will interfere with the operation of the tailgate and would have to be removed anyway. The camera's view would for sure be obscured by the tailgate. But at least with another camera, the camera would not need to be reinstalled in the tailgate- that would save the major amount of work involved in putting the tailgate back on.

Still looking for the permanent fix. I haven't priced the OEM cameras lately. Maybe the price is coming down.
2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#3 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

I have been using my lazy man's approach (written up in the blog linked above and in my signature) to relocating the camera for about 9 months.

Thanks for your observations, takesiteasy. It's good to get input from those who've been pioneers :)
As another "lazy man," I like the approach of getting a second camera & harness and not trying to open up the tailgate. Looks like about a hundred bucks will get a Tacoma owner an OEM-style camera & harness online, though cheap 3rd party cameras and even making up one's own harness would save some bucks. I like the idea of mounting under the camper overhang and by fabricating a properly angled bracket the view should be about as accurate as the stock set-up.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

#4 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

By the way, if you're going to splice into anything, I suggest splicing with an "extension" wire -- not the wires that are directly connected to your camera. That way when the camera dies (as I hear happens easily) you can just unplug/replug (using the yellow video plugs, etc) to swap in a new camera.

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

#5 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

By the way, if you're going to splice into anything, I suggest splicing with an "extension" wire -- not the wires that are directly connected to your camera. That way when the camera dies (as I hear happens easily) you can just unplug/replug (using the yellow video plugs, etc) to swap in a new camera.

Speaking of splicing, camper101 - can you explain exactly how you spliced into the back-up lights for your camera's 12v?

#6 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Speaking of splicing, camper101 - can you explain exactly how you spliced into the back-up lights for your camera's 12v?

I think I used this thread as guidance on how things will look and which wires to use: http://www.tacomawor...no-peasant.html

You basically take off the whole set of rear lights and tap into the reverse light. Removing the taillight set isn't that difficult, even for a non-technical person... I probably watched a YouTube video or something on how to change a Tacoma brake light bulb to figure it out, but it may be intuitive to you.

I just stripped maybe 1/2 inch of wire, did a military splice, and taped it up. I didn't solder because I don't know how, but you probably should if you can. Once you've got a wire attached to the reverse light, there are plenty of holes/spaces you can run it through to get under the truck and near the wiring harness hookup.

I also put everything in split loom under the truck to try to protect the wires a little bit. Basically I copied what they did with the wiring harness: stuff the wires in split loom and run tape around it.

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

#7 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

You basically take off the whole set of rear lights and tap into the reverse light. Removing the taillight set isn't that difficult, even for a non-technical person... I probably watched a YouTube video or something on how to change a Tacoma brake light bulb to figure it out, but it may be intuitive to you.

Thanks for the info. I did notice that one cannot remove the taillight assembly with a camper installed - hopefully I won't burn out a bulb anytime soon. If I decide to go your route with a 12v camera I need to decide that before installing the camper. The OEM style can be added anytime.

#8 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

I purchased the Tacoma OEM camera from the folks on eBay and the OEM wiring harness from the dealer in Kalamazoo (links in a previous post.)

I'd temporarily mounted it in the square hole that the harness passes through in the tailgate-on position, a la, takesiteasy. This worked adequately until I could get the camper and mount the camera in a better position.

This mounting scheme works great! The view is centered and works well with the original guide lines in the mirror display. The red line in the display is positioned about 2 feet behind the rear of the camper. Good visibility to either side and above too, if I'm trying to avoid branches, etc.

Here is the camera, mounted to the bottom of the floor supports, centered just behind the rear edge of the camper.

center_800w-IMG_4468.jpg

Here you see the one inch corner bracket holding the camera using one of the camera's mounting holes. I bent the bracket until I achieved the desired angle. The bracket is mounted to the bottom of the floor with a wood screw. I tested the view before mounting the other side and got it right the first time. (Ignore the temporary strap & red thumbtack holding the wiring harness.)

rightside_800w-IMG_4469.jpg

On the left side I fashioned a bracket using a metal strip left over from a car stereo install about a zillion years ago. I couldn't find a corner bracket that would line up with the hole. This metal strip featured a long slot on one end and I used that for the mounting bolt for the camera so it could stay perfectly lined up.

leftside_800w-IMG_4471.jpg

The OEM harness came with all the grommets, and attachment pieces of the original harness. I removed all those and wrapped the connections and split loom with electrical tape to (hopefully) keep moisture out. I used one of the square grommets in the original hole to protect and dress the harness where it goes through the under bed bulkhead.

grommet_800w-IMG_4472.jpg

I need to add the final wiring straps and probably replace the fasteners that I had on hand with stainless. I should also probably paint the brackets, too, for rust protection. I'm thinking about finding a plastic container that I can trim into a splash shield, though I don't want to enclose the assembly completely lest that backfire by locking the moisture in rather than exclude it.

When it comes time to remove the camper for the winter, there are only three screws to remove the brackets. I then will unplug this harness and plug in the original tailgate harness, and I'll be good to go.

#9 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

While my truck isn’t a Tacoma, here’s what I did for backup camera on my old Dodge. I have a Grandby on a short wheelbase Dodge so I worried a lot while backing the rig with the tailgate down and camper on. A backup camera was in order. I picked up a couple of the cheap cameras on ebay ($14.99), and a dual input 7” TFT monitor, also on ebay ($35.00). I always complained about having no visibility looking over the hood of the Dodge, so I mounted a camera up front also. The backup camera is wired to come on when the truck is in reverse, with a manual override so I can turn it on any time. The front camera is also wired to the override switch and comes on when the switch is on. The monitor has two inputs, with the default to input one, which is hooked to the backup camera. Input 2 is manually switched on the monitor when I want to use front camera. The system is simple and works great.

Here’s a schematic of the camera wiring and pics of the cameras in case anyone would like to try something like this:

Attached Thumbnails

• backup cam.jpg
  • front cam.jpg
  • rear cam.jpg

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#10 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:57 PM

Here’s a schematic of the camera wiring and pics of the cameras in case anyone would like to try something like this:

Very clever, Bob, thanks for your contribution to the topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users