79 replies to this topic

#11 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

Bosque Bill,

Sorry if I missed it, but what monitor are you using? Do you know if your method would work with an older model Tacoma? Thanks.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#12 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 742 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:40 AM

Sorry if I missed it, but what monitor are you using? Do you know if your method would work with an older model Tacoma? Thanks.

Nathanael, I'm using the monitor built into the late model Tacoma's rear view mirror. So if that doesn't describe Hadley, then probably a third-party monitor, such as K6ON describes might be better for you. If Hadley has the touch-screen radio, those can be swapped out with a front end that will accept video.

If your rear view mirror is not wired, there are third-party kits that include mirrors with integrated monitors, but I don't know any other details; just recall seeing them offered somewhere.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#13 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:37 AM

Nathanael, I'm using the monitor built into the late model Tacoma's rear view mirror. So if that doesn't describe Hadley, then probably a third-party monitor, such as K6ON describes might be better for you. If Hadley has the touch-screen radio, those can be swapped out with a front end that will accept video.

If your rear view mirror is not wired, there are third-party kits that include mirrors with integrated monitors, but I don't know any other details; just recall seeing them offered somewhere.

Thanks Bill, that is what I was wondering. Hadley is an 07, so no monitor wiring or touch screens.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#14 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

While my truck isn’t a Tacoma, here’s what I did for backup camera on my old Dodge. I have a Grandby on a short wheelbase Dodge so I worried a lot while backing the rig with the tailgate down and camper on. A backup camera was in order. I picked up a couple of the cheap cameras on ebay ($14.99), and a dual input 7” TFT monitor, also on ebay ($35.00). I always complained about having no visibility looking over the hood of the Dodge, so I mounted a camera up front also. The backup camera is wired to come on when the truck is in reverse, with a manual override so I can turn it on any time. The front camera is also wired to the override switch and comes on when the switch is on. The monitor has two inputs, with the default to input one, which is hooked to the backup camera. Input 2 is manually switched on the monitor when I want to use front camera. The system is simple and works great.

Here’s a schematic of the camera wiring and pics of the cameras in case anyone would like to try something like this:

Next time I'm in the neighborhood I gotta see this. I like it!

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#15 hpcbmw

hpcbmw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cal

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

K6ON, i'm pretty interested in what exactly you used, since I'm a cheap bastard!. The "cheap camera on ebay" are those the little webcams? I found this $33 monitor on Amazon - is this the same idea as what you used? http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B007SLDF7O

I guess my only question is - is it hard to get connectors or cables that are long enough to run from the rear of the truck up to the monitor? What kind of connectors did you use? I'm in Sac area also, maybe I could stop by and take a look at your setup one of these days.

1997 4 wheel Camper Granby model on 2000 F250 extended cab 4x4 diesel.

#16 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

That is the exact monitor I purchased, dual input 7" TFT.   Looks like Amazon also sells the same camera: http://www.amazon.co...a_os_product    The camera comes with about 25' of video cable which was more than enough to get from the back

of the truck to the monitor, and also a short power cable which is long enough to get to your back-up light.  RCA and power connectors are already on the cables.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#17 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

Oops...I forgot, I'll PM you my phone number if you'd like to come by and take a look at my setup.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#18 hpcbmw

hpcbmw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cal

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

Thanks K6ON for the great info, I'll be in touch.

1997 4 wheel Camper Granby model on 2000 F250 extended cab 4x4 diesel.

#19 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

The simplicity of this set up makes it tempting. 

http://rear-view-cam...era-review.html

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#20 bryanmichaelmeyer

bryanmichaelmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts