• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

Hmmm... Interesting, thanks.  Good to know that there are patches to fix the known problems.  I think I have one or more of that brand of cam.  :unsure:

This sounds a little different than the wi-fi back-up camera issue, since the articles talk about attack via the Internet, and a recommended solution is to not let them be available via the Internet...that is, the vulnerability isn't because they're wireless, it's because they're open to the Internet.  But maybe the risk is worse when they're open to the whole world of bad guys via the Internet, but the same vulnerability could be used by a hacker standing next to your cam directly via the WiFi....I wonder..

Yes, the hacker has to see your camera signal to use it to access the computer so we are talking about needing some proximity. Again, not likely an issue in the desert, but more so in urban areas.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#42 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

Yes, the hacker has to see your camera signal to use it to access the computer so we are talking about needing some proximity. Again, not likely an issue in the desert, but more so in urban areas.

Do you have any links about accessing/hacking a camera via it's wifi signal (rather than over the Internet as those links above describe)?

On the other hand... maybe I should look it up myself.  I'll learn more. :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#43 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

Can anyone help with confirm that this will work with my 2013 tacoma that I took the tailgate off of? 

They advertise plug and play but a year ago this was impossible to find. 

Thanks a lot! 

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2054897.l4275

Bryan 

I bought an OEM camera from eBay last year and the wiring harness from an online Toyota dealer. That was indeed plug-and-play. The camera in this listing looks different from the OEM version, so caveat emptor. It is a different seller, too. I bought mine from round2storedallas who had a one time lot of units.

You might post the question about this particular item over on the TacomaWorld.com forums. There are lots of DIY and mod folks there.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#44 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:46 AM

Do you have any links about accessing/hacking a camera via it's wifi signal (rather than over the Internet as those links above describe)?

On the other hand... maybe I should look it up myself.  I'll learn more. :)

First hand research on your part is probably a good idea. i don't really understand this stuff. I'm just cautious with my web/wireless connectivity based on things I've heard from others.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

#45 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:29 PM

Greetings

As a relatively new member, I wanted to share what I did remounting the backup camera on my Toyota Tacoma.  I recently purchased a FWC Eagle and wanted to avoid having to remove the wring every time I removed the tailgate.  This Tacoma has Aluminess bumpers installed which added their own mounting challenges.

After a fair amount of time looking at options and factoring in the fact that I wanted the camera to be able to survive some moderately aggressive off road-ing, I ended up making a bracket out of some aluminum I had in the shop.  As most of you know, the OEM wiring harness is quite long which made the job pretty easy.

After determining the location, I mocked up a piece of aluminum angle.  The hardest part was making the hole for the camera back tight enough so it would not wiggle loose.  I used the two small screw that hold the camera to the original plastic base and drilled holes in the aluminum.

Image 2.jpg

Some paint and a few stainless bolts, and this is what I ended up with.

Image.jpg Image 1.jpg

The view to the rear is far better than the stock location and the camera is protected from below by the frame and hitch and from the back by the inward slope of the bumper.  It would take a pretty specific hit to dislodge it.  If anyone needs, I can take more pictures.

Cheers

#46 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:40 AM

Here's what I did with our truck -

Back-up Camera Install Ford Ranger

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#47 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:59 AM

Well I finally got around to a permanent location for the camera in the camper. I used an OEM camera and harness purchased from eBay. It was a lot of fussing around trying alternative approaches but I eventually got to a solution. Lots of time pondering at the hardware store. I modified a standard electrical junction box to hold the camera and allow future service. The box conceals the wires and holes in the floor and the wall. The camera plugs in just like the tailgate camera so no issue when the camper comes off the truck. It is well protected from the elements and other hazards. The camera gives a nice unobstructed view behind the camper. I am happy with the result.

You can see larger versions of the photos on the blog: http://travelswithro...-up-camera.html

IMG_2127.jpg      IMG_2128.jpg   

IMG_2121.jpg

Edited by takesiteasy, 04 August 2015 - 03:01 AM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

#48 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:07 AM

I kept my Tacoma camera relocation simple. I remove the wiring and camera from the tailgate, cut, bent and drilled a couple pieces of small aluminum stock and screwed it to the bottom of the center.

56F598D2-E2BB-4FE6-9232-581DA3C3B475.jpg

47874B97-8367-474F-A07A-B9E01BE05923.jpg

BEF12938-9589-460E-B531-BF92C4D4524D.jpg

Maybe some day I'll get another camera and put it back in the tailgate. But it really isn't needed for such a small truck anyway IMO.

#49 dasadab

dasadab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:10 PM

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the backup camera on a Silverado.  I have a 2015 with a tailgate camera.  When the new Hawk comes and I remove the tailgate, I know I will miss the convenience of having the camera viewable through the stock video/information console.  I love the tracking lines.  It seems to me the best solution for me would be to find another OEM camera harness and compatible camera, find a suitable location to mount the camera, and just plug in the new setup when the tailgate is removed.  Because the truck is going to be a daily driver and work truck when the Hawk is not mounted, I want to easily be able to transition from stock tailgate camera to new iteration.  

Thanks for any help and suggestions. 

#50 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:38 PM

Try this:

http://www.wanderthe...a/?fromsearch=1

It has worked great for me.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness