58 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

I haven't camped in my favorite-place-in-Oregon -- the east side of the Steens, Alvord Desert, in southeast Oregon -- since May of last year...though I've passed through there, most-recently in my Year-End/New-Year Far-Eastern Nevada Trip .
I "cancelled" my planned Sonoran-Mojave-Deserts Trip, which was supposed to happen this month...but I want to get out camping somewhere cool before I head to Georgia in mid-April (a plane-car/no-camping trip).

Weather forecast (as of now) looks good/not-bad for the Fields, OR area:
Posted Image
What's most important in the high desert this time of year is that it gets/stays below freezing enough that the roads stay frozen (to avoid muddy-ness) -- until we hit the dry season a couple of months from now. The current forecast looks cold enough to permit easy travel on dirt roads.

Leaving this Friday morning, the 22nd,. I'll probably spend 5 - 6 days out there..."there" being, at least, Pike Creek (east-side Steens), maybe Alvord playa/area, maybe Willow (aka "Whitehorse") Hot Springs...maybe as far south as the northeast Black Rock Desert area in northwest Nevada. I hear there's a cool area near Battle Creek, with easy access...
Posted Image

Consider showing up out there... Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

:lol:

Mark-like minds think alike-but I think I'm going west not NE from here. I'm waiting for the rain to stop so I can plug in so i can charge up-cleaned the truck out last weekend. I was planning to head up to Eagle Lake on Thursday for a few days to test out another new toy I just picked up and to see how my solar panels and other things have weathered all the snow and ice. The weather is supposed to get sunny up there and from what I hear, no one is up there. I had planned to head either to the Or. or Ca coast (depending on the weather) later on (unless it's so nice at EL and I stay longer up there), but anyway, get back to me here or maybe later on my cell, I could be convinced to change my plans after my EL stop but I'm winging it now, just trying to get out of here and play (no mud running-that's while I was heading to the coast-sand!

Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#3 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

I haven't camped in my favorite-place-in-Oregon -- the east side of the Steens, Alvord Desert, in southeast Oregon -- since May of last year...though I've passed through there, most-recently in my Year-End/New-Year Far-Eastern Nevada Trip . I "cancelled" my planned Sonoran-Mojave-Deserts Trip, which was supposed to happen this month...but I want to get out camping somewhere cool before I head to Georgia in mid-April (a plane-car/no-camping trip).

Weather forecast (as of now) looks good/not-bad for the Fields, OR area:
Posted Image
What's most important in the high desert this time of year is that it gets/stays below freezing enough that the roads stay frozen (to avoid muddy-ness) -- until we hit the dry season a couple of months from now. The current forecast looks cold enough to permit easy travel on dirt roads.

Leaving this Friday morning, the 22nd,. I'll probably spend 5 - 6 days out there..."there" being, at least, Pike Creek (east-side Steens), maybe Alvord playa/area, maybe Willow (aka "Whitehorse") Hot Springs...maybe as far south as the northeast Black Rock Desert area in northwest Nevada. I hear there's a cool area near Battle Creek, with easy access...
Posted Image

Consider showing up out there... Posted Image

Mark-replied to your email, windy here. Talk in a bit.

Smoke

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

OK, after talking to Smokecreek1, I probably should update the title to add, "and NE California".
In fact, I now think that's where I'll be headed first. See ya there, smoke. Posted Image

#5 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:18 AM

Maybe a loop like this...as a rough plan. About 800 miles:

2013-March_Eagle-Black-Alvord_Route.jpg

with the first night's destination determined, marked.

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:29 AM

Sounds like a great trip. I wonder how many "hole in the rock" there are.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:57 AM

Okay Mark, here is a suggestion to save time, several miles past the ca bug station on the right :lol: is the Look Out cut off (a real good paved HW-CR-91 i think), it goes south from 139 to Look Out, Big Valley and Beiber (299) and crosses HW 299 (nice little store there(gas) ) and take the county road to 139. You can turn left on 299 and go into Adin (gas)it might be worth a quick side trip, neat old hardware stores and stuff. Anyway there is no need to go all the way into Canby and have to climb the pass to Adin, it just sort of saves time, plus you drive by the road that takes the back way into Lava Bed NP! Just a thought! Many choices right!

Smoke

#8 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:20 AM

Okay Mark, here is a suggestion to save time, several miles past the ca bug station on the right :lol: is the Look Out cut off (a real good paved HW-CR-91 i think), it goes south from 139 to Look Out, Big Valley and Beiber (299) and crosses HW 299 (nice little store there(gas) ) and take the county road to 139. You can turn left on 299 and go into Adin (gas)it might be worth a quick side trip, neat old hardware stores and stuff. Anyway there is no need to go all the way into Canby and have to climb the pass to Adin, it just sort of saves time, plus you drive by the road that takes the back way into Lava Bed NP! Just a thought! Many choices right!

Smoke

Smoke, you mean like this?:

Lookout-cutoff.jpg

And you say this is a time-saver? Posted Image

#9 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:28 AM

Sure is, less people too and you can go fast. No gas in Canby, only time i go that way is to head into the lava country or head into Alturas.

Smoke

#10 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:33 AM

Sure is, less people too and you can go fast. No gas in Canby, only time i go that way is to head into the lava country or head into Alturas.

Smoke

OK, thanks...and I usually prefer the scenic route anyway. Posted Image I'll be fueling the rig in K-Falls, so that's not an issue for me on either route.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users