• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TravisandMarla

TravisandMarla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:16 AM

We left Oklahoma on August 3rd, heading off towards Oregon without much of a plan or time schedule. It was a great trip but we would have loved it more if we had a four wheel camper. Here's how we camped......see first pics
The Columbia river gorge/ Hood River valley & Mountain was the first stop and it was a treat. Our trip took us to Portland, up to Brementon, over to Seattle on the ferry then on to Anacourtes. We boarded the Washington State Ferry for a trip through the San Juan Islands exploring San Juan, Lopez and Camping at Moran S.P. on Orcus Island. After heading back to the mainland we explored all of the Washington Coast, two favorite places were Neah Bay, Cape Flatterly and Pacific Beach (the town). We then explored Astoria, Ft. stevens state park and the entire Oregon Coast favorite places were Brighton Marina at Nehalem Bay, Sunset Bay S.P. and all points south of Coos Bay. At Smith River, California we stayed at the Ship to Shore motel right on the smith river after spending the day on Pelican Beach a very lovely day. We enjoyed Crescent City and the Redwood National Forest, spent Labor Day weekend at a free national forest campground right on the Smith River, beautiful and relaxing.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_3379 (Medium).jpg
  • 100_3156 (Medium).jpg
  • 100_3768 (Medium).jpg
  • 100_3316 (Medium).jpg
  • 100_3626 (Medium).jpg

#2 TravisandMarla

TravisandMarla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:03 AM

We left northern California and headed up Hwy 199 to Grants Pass and on to Crater Lake which was beautiful. After that we headed east through the Oregon high desert on dark two lane roads, we found a rest stop just as the rain started and crawled (and I do mean crawled) in the back to sleep. The next day we drove through Idaho heading towards The Tetons and Yellowstone. A mud slide closed Hwy 26 so we camped at Palisades Dam Campground. We spent 3 days at Yellowstone then headed out towards Cody and Mount Rushmore. That was another drive on a dark two lane road (hwy 14), through the big horn mts. it started sleeting but we finally made it to Sheridian where we overnighted in the Wal Mart parking lot. We took a well deserved break in a motel in Keystone, South Dakota visiting Mt. Rushmore and taking several scenic drives. Then we started on our long drive home. We loved the way we traveled but decided that a pop up camper would make things sooooo much better and a four wheel fits our needs perfect. Hope we find one before out next trip....

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4155 (Medium).jpg
  • 100_4232 (Medium).jpg
  • 100_4463 (Medium).jpg
  • 100_4285 (Medium).jpg
  • 100_4417 (Medium).jpg

#3 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:40 PM

Wow... Great Pictures!

I especially like the the 2nd picture with the two "wine flasks" to the left of the Adidas bag. :rolleyes:

Mike

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

#4 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:55 PM

I remember camping like that and it wasnt so long ago ('05). Great pix.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#5 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

Nice pics indeed ...especailly love that area of Washington, never made it to Neah Bay and have always wanted to...I've heard great things about it. A campers heaven when the weather cooperates.

#6 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:42 PM

great pics!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#7 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationCentral California Sierra Nevadas

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:49 PM

Nice pictures. I think many of us had your same set up before we got the FWC, the shell is not a bad way to go, light, low, & simple but when the weather hits it's nice to have the FWC.

Are you camper shopping while you travel? It seems like your best chance to find one will be while you are out West.

Good luck with your search.

#8 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:01 PM

Great trip and great post!

We've travelled some of the same great places. I'm enamored too with the Coos Bay area. I've joked to several friends if I ever have to go into hiding or a witness protection program, Bandon would be my first choice. Neah Bay is spectacular and well worth the drive out there.

My very first night in my FWC was on the Palisades Resevoir ( I found mine Sun Valley, ID) and I do a Cody & Yellowstone tour every Memorial Day. You two sure saw a lot of great country. I hope a FWC finds its way to you soon.

What's the scoop with the bus in the crevice photo?

But I think your way of travelling is great for stealthy, non-attention getting wanderings. And you've given me an idea for a new thread.....

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#9 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:56 PM

Great pictures and trip report, thanks. A FWC would be an excellent way to take that trip, Good Luck.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#10 TravisandMarla

TravisandMarla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:58 PM

I thought someone might pick up on the "wine flasks" and get a kick out of them. We purchased "them" on our honeymoon 29 years ago in an antique shop in Shawnee, OK. They have came in verrrrrry handy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users