8 replies to this topic

#1 oxnard111

oxnard111

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationVentura/Oxnard CA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:55 AM

I've been looking for a pop-up for a while now. I am second in line to purchase a used 1996 Phoenix pop-up to put on my 2006 Double Cab Tacoma.

The camper does not currently have jacks. I would like to add some. Does anybody know if these Phoenix models can accommodate bolt on jacks? When you go their website they don't even list jacks as an option on their newer campers.

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

Our Phoenix, vintage unknown due to sun faded ID tag, came with jacks. We are, I believe, its third owners.
Oxnard, huh? There's a number of us around, and several expatriates too.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

In the pictures that Rob at Coyote/Phenoix posts up on Expo the campers often are equipped with normal jacks/brackets.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#4 oxnard111

oxnard111

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Good to know guys. Thanks.

Yes I'm born and raised in Oxnard.

I'm still waiting to hear this afternoon if the other guy came and bought the Phoenix yet.

If I get it, it needs a bit of work, but I think I can get my truck equipped air bags and camper tie downs, buy the camper, make repairs, but the camper jacks and buy a new mattress for for around $2,200-$2,400.

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

Good luck with getting your camper, hope it works out. Just make sure the camper has the standard jack brackets mounted on all four corners, then it is just bolting on the jacks when you need to use them. If by chance, the camper doesn't already have brackets mounted, then it is a bigger deal.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 oxnard111

oxnard111

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

Good luck with getting your camper, hope it works out. Just make sure the camper has the standard jack brackets mounted on all four corners, then it is just bolting on the jacks when you need to use them. If by chance, the camper doesn't already have brackets mounted, then it is a bigger deal.

Well that is the problem I was worried about the one I'm looking at. It doesn't have the corner brackets on it currently. The corners are rounded and don't have any obvious places to mount them in the pictures I have been provided thus far.

This guy keeps it on his truck 100% of the time. He said when he purchased it the previous owner had it on portable/non-connected style jacks that you just leave at your storage spot.

#7 oxnard111

oxnard111

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:23 AM

I went and saw the camper. Man this thing was super rough. I told the guy I would only pay him $500 and he said he'd take it. I told him I needed to think about it over night.

Basically all of the corners are starting to split. There has obviously been water leaking between the aluminum siding and the fiber board. The canvas was in surprisingly good shape. Stove fired up, as did the water heater. But fridge wouldn't fire off of propane, but did start to get cold when he plugged it in. All of the cabinetry was crazy rough.

Overall I think I'm going to pass. I think it might be more of a headache in the long run. I might have a lead on another super super clean Phoenix, but I have to wait 2 more weeks to see it until the guys brother brings the rig back into town.

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:45 AM

Sounds like a good decision to pass on this one. It can be hard to be patient until a good one for you comes along. Good luck.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 oxnard111

oxnard111

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

Sounds like a good decision to pass on this one. It can be hard to be patient until a good one for you comes along. Good luck.

Ya me too.

I've primarily been looking for a pop up because of a lack of vertical clearance in my storage spot, but this morning I just realized I can drive around the back of my house to get to the same storage location thus bypassing my vertical obstacle.

I am now going to broaden my search to also include to hard sided cab overs. There is a really nice 2007 Six Pac about two hours away from me. He said he would take $6,000 which includes the Tork Lift tie downs w/ turn buckles for my Tacoma.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users