13 replies to this topic

#1 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:08 AM

After reading pvstoy's trip report on the Eastern Sierra's Fall colors, we had to go! Thank's to all of you that made suggestions on where to stay. Our route went up Hway 50 to Tahoe, over 88 and 89 to 395, and then south. Fall colors were past their prime but there were still a lot of yellows. Around Markleeville the colors were still very good.
First photo is of our lunch stop on the Walker River. 395 follows this for a ways so there are a lot of good spots to take a rest. Tomas Tierra and Kcowyo recommended what sounded like nice spots but were a bit too far south for us. Followed Simimike's advice and went up Rock Creek Canyon. There are about a half dozen campgrounds along this road, all on the creek. Some were already closed for the season. The camping at the lake is nothing more than the parking lot so we went back down to the next lowest campground (possibly Big Meadow, don't recall now). Got a great site right on the creek.
I was looking forward to photographing the fall colors in the morning light but woke the next morning to about 5 inches of snow (2nd photo). Drove back up to Rock Creek Lake (3rd photo). Beautiful scenery and the fish were jumping like crazy. Should have taken the time to do some fishing. Oh well.
For our second night I was hoping to go up Tioga Pass and out to Saddlebag Lake. But the pass closed because of the snow. Along the lower part of the pass there are a number of campgrounds following Lee Vining Creek. We checked them out and ended up staying at one called Big Bend. They all have sites right on the water but this one was more forested than the rest. A decent waterfall is at the entry to the campground (4th photo), right next to Site #1.
Finally, a couple of shots of the fall colors (if they fit in this post, otherwise they will follow. First is on Tioga Pass, second in Lee Vining.
A fantastic area with interesting geology, beautiful mountain scenery,wide open expanses, and a number of hot springs. We will definitely be making more trips to this area.

Attached Thumbnails

• Walker River.JPG
  • morning snow.JPG
  • rock creek lake.JPG
  • waterfall.JPG
  • Tioga Pass.JPG

#2 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:09 AM

Here is the last photo - max of five per post.

Attached Thumbnails

• Lee Vining.JPG

#3 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:14 AM

great pics! how is it traveling with the jacks on the camper? just curious...why not remove them?

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#4 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:59 AM

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the post and some nice pictures.

Glad you had a good trip. I can't get enough of the Eastern Sierras.

I was in the area that weekend but up around Conway Summit and Twin Lakes out of Bridgeport.

Saturaday evening I ate dinner at Virgina Creek Settlement just south of Bridgeport. When we left and was heading back toward Bridgepot there was a FWC that looked like yours. I could not get thier attention. They were driving with the passanger side latches were not on and that side was being lifted. Done that before:mad:

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#5 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:06 AM

Those are some really nice photos.

Curious....how did your camper hold up in the snow? Haven't had a surprise like that yet.

Man, how I miss that 395.

Dave

#6 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:34 PM

Ted, Really nice pix...thanks for posting. I am looking forward to more time spent in the Sierras at some point...
Brian

#7 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:42 PM

Glad you found some nice spots Ted.

I have yet to wake to snow either. Hope I have plenty of propane for the heater if and when I do!

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#8 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:46 PM

Ted,

Nice shots, thanks for posting. We take about the same route to 395 as you did, much prefer going over Monitor Pass than through Carson City with all the lights and traffic. We camped a few nights last September high up in the Rock Creek area but got chased out by very cold temps which led to installing the heater we didn't buy with the camper. Now we stay nice and warm. I will keep the Big Bend camp ground in mind for the next time we're in the area. Thanks again for the info.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#9 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:56 PM

Hi All,
Thanks for the nice comments on the photos. I will try to answer all the questions.
Erod, we like to use the legs for leveling the camper. We have also noticed it keeps it steady as we move about in the camper. I used to take them off between trips, but that got to be a hassle. We go camping once or twice a month and it added a lot of prep time to mount them each time. Since my daily commute is only seven miles, I just leave them on now. The extra weight and wind resistance may detract from the gas mileage, but I doubt it is a significant amount.
Patrick, we were in camp by 1:00 in the afternoon on Saturday so must have been someone else. I didn't leave the buckles undone on this trip but have in the past also. Fortunately the weather was good enough to have the windows down and the noise of the buckles rattling in the wind clued me in. We must have missed you but did see a FWC on a red Dodge near Woodfords, on a frontage road near the intersection of Highways 88 and 89.
Dave, the camper held up well. We have a heater so the cold was not a problem. The only thing we noticed was when clumps of snow would fall off a tree branch and hit the roof of the camper, it was loud enough to wake us up. Because of other threads about dropping the roof with snow on it, I thought I was ready for the heavy load when it came time to go. Because we were partially covered by trees, only about half of the roof had snow on it. I didn't think it was a significant enough amount to wipe off before dropping the roof. I was wrong. It came down hard and fast, and I was unable to lift the corners to tuck in the folds on the outside before latching the roof. So when you, Kcowyo, and anyone else do wake up to snow on the roof, take the time to knock it off before leaving. And yes, Kcowyo, you do want to have plenty of propane and a good battery to keep that heater running!
Brian, good to hear from you. We followed your trip on here after you left. Glad it went well and hope to see you again soon. Have you become used to the gray canvas yet?
Hey DLN, our usual quick weekend runaway is Sagehen just a few miles from you. We'll have to keep an eye out for you. We have done the route through Carson City a couple of times and regretted it also. Last time I was in the area it looked like they were building a freeway that would bypass the city. That would help. We still have to get through Placerville on Highway 50 and that bogs down with traffic, especially this time of year with Apple Hill going full bore and when the ski season is on. So there is no perfect route for us, but you forget that once you arrive.
Happy camping to all, Ted

#10 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:08 AM

Hi guy,
Yes I got used to the gray fabric and in fact, like it very much, it seems very much heavier than the old tan stuff as well....I love the outer flaps and am right now making the flap/awning stick supports. I think Kit is going to take the camper on a solo trip sometime in mid or late November and will meet her Mom in Laughlin, NV for a several day visit. While she is doing that I will take the Beemer on a ride to Lafayette, LA for a BMW rally and to eat some Cajun chow.:D I am sure we will meet up again.
Happy trails,
Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users