#11 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:15 AM

:lol:

No sleeping bag-that's good, no keys or as they say" stupid is, stupid does! stupid better learn or stupid is no more!!" Yet somehow we survive. Anyway, the key thing we all have learned about the hard way, but for at least the last thirty years I've always carried a spare key in my wallet for those emergencies :lol:(don't remember who told me to do that but it saved me so much grief over the years) and a couple a months ago a friend of mine (who is 60 and a fellow out doorsman) stopped by my house and was bitching about locking himself out of his car and I said " did you ever think about keeping a spare key in your wallet?" and he looked at me like God had come down off the mountain and said "what did you say-why have I never thought about doing that before?" And a new convert was born! That still was a worry though when I was using my gov't rig and "officially" not being able to get a spare key made, so those keys always went somewhere where in my field pack or front pocket-walking out of allot of the places I worked in wasn't a real good option. On the same Idea, stopping your truck and saying "Hey, wonder what's on that hill over there and off you go, no canteen,no nothing and several miles later there you are, no water no nothing and the truck is a little speck in the distance-I think we a had a thread about these "miss-thinks" (is that that a word?)a couple of years ago! No Stupids here!

Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#12 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

I'm not trying to brag or say I'm perfect, but I have never done anything stupid in my life. Not once. Zip, zero, zilch. Nada, not at all.

Posted Image

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#13 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

I'm not trying to brag or say I'm perfect, but I have never done anything stupid in my life. Not once. Zip, zero, zilch. Nada, not at all.

Posted Image

Story?

Smoke:lol:
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#14 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

Story?

Smoke:lol:

Yellowstone, I believe...though I can't find Ted's original report of it.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#15 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

Looks like the Lamar Valley between Slough Creek and Pebble Creek.
Boy Ted sure got himself in a bit of a bind.Or is that the "Ted" way of parking.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#16 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,253 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

.................Or is that the "Ted" way of parking.
Frank

Made my lunch break, thanks Frank! :D

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#17 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

Looks like the Lamar Valley between Slough Creek and Pebble Creek.

Frank knows Yellowstone! Pegged the location exactly. not the "Ted" way of parking, just have my anti-theft device deployed. :D If anything, it is the "Ted" way of getting into 1000+ tourist's photo journals. Buses were literally stopping on the road so everyone could hang out the window and get their photos. :angry:

Story?

Sigh, ok. Grizzly and wolves on a carcass in Lamar Valley. Cars parked along both sides of the road. Saw an opening and pulled into it. It looked no different than any other part of the ditch other vihicles were straddling. Suddenly we're looking up. A culvert was low and hidden by grass. Must have just straddled it with the front wheels when I pulled in. But the rear right dropped in the hole. I was told I wasn't the first. After photos show they coned it off once we were out of there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#18 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

Battling stupidity with OCD:

After leaving important stuff at home a number of times (including my sleeping bag, Mark, don't feel bad), and in particular after some locking of keys in the truck, but only at the most inopportune of times/places, I started an admittedly OCD exercise to assure it wouldn't happen again: I carry two sets of truck keys EVERYWHERE I go. A small key ring with just the door/ignition and a camper shell key stays in my pocket AT ALL TIMES. The main set, with house key, office key, other essentials, etc, etc, stays in the ignition until I've gathered up my stuff at a stop (wallet, cell phone, etc). I then open the door, remove the key from the ignition, step out, hit the automatic locks, look at my main keychain in my right hand, hit the locks a second time, look at the keys a second time, and only then do I close the door. Yes, my wife thinks I'm crazy, and maybe she's right. But I don't lock my keys in the truck any more.

I also came close to breaking a window about 33 years ago. I was working solo, out of Crystal Falls, Michigan, way up on the UP. I was a good 15 miles from US 141 and two or three "tributary" turns off of a former main logging road/rail trail. I hadn't seen a soul all day. I know, I know, one would think "why lock up". I had sensitive prospect location maps in the truck and leaving them unsecured would get a guy fired in a New York minute. As I swung the door closed, I saw my keys in the ignition at the instant the door slammed. It was a 1980 Chevy LUV 4WD and had old-style lock buttons on the door, just inside the window. I had a spring of some sort in a bin in the bed, so I popped open the camper shell window and got it, plus some Vise Grips and Channel Locks, and managed to re-work part of the spring into a coat-hanger configuration. By the way, spring steel is REALLY hard to bend with just pliers and a rock hammer. The whole thing took me two hours and I boogered up the paint on the door, the body, and ruined the foam seal, leaving me with wind noise for the 4 more years I had the truck. Didn't have to break the window, however.

Foy

#19 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

Speaking of keys, since I may have locked myself out once I now have a spare camper key hidden in a difficult but not too hard spot to get. Then I have a truck key hidden inside the camper. I have used it a couple times so far but oddly enough, not once when camping\traveling.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#20 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

Look Carefully.

Posted Image

Pre-ATC days and post Class C RV days (camping was supposed to be more "basic").

Where are the ten poles? Aren't they in the same bag as the tent?
Nope they are vacationing at home.

Good thing I took that Rube Goldberg engineering course at Cal Poly, SLO, back in the day, and had a lot of spools of mason line with me. Both the tent and the rain tarp are held up with line. It rained and snowed on us (lightly), and this photo was right before we left (after two days of sun).

Tent poles, don't leave home without them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users