• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#11 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

It was mounted just ahead of the big window on the passenger side.  Just a single small can. 

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#12 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

Yes, it has been done. 

Here is my install that I finished a few days ago.  It went smoothly for the most part.  I removed the left upper step that I never used once.  I used the hardware from the step (bolts, nuts and washers, I bought two additional washers to finish the job)...I used putty (perhaps too much) between bracket and siding to make a water tight seal.  Most of the 7"x7" bracket is flash with the aluminum siding, except for the left and right sides of the bracket which is lipped.  This lip keeps the can approx. 1/4" away from the siding.  I also painted the washers black to blend in.  The bracket is tight and secure, and I am confident it will support a full can.

Thanks Kilroy for your impute.   

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4711.JPG
  • IMG_4712.JPG
  • IMG_4714.JPG

#13 deethe

deethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

i have a gas/oil mix mounted on the lower rear passenger side for the chainsaw and a locked storage box for saw tools on the rear upper left side.  the Vertical model SawGrip chainsaw mount will go on the driverside rear jack bracket when they are removed

Edited by deethe, 20 January 2015 - 12:10 AM.

2014 FWC Hawk powered by a 2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 4WD

#14 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:34 PM

I think it looks cool and professional. It gives the camper that extra "I'm living life and I can go anywhere and doing anything look".
I know a lot of us are practical, so from that standpoint, I like the fact that you can easily access it and keep an eye on it (ie. leaks).

#15 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:43 PM

Great job Kilroy.  I plan on copying you but I am a bit confused on the bike lock need.  Looks like you have a locking rotopax handle. Why the need for a bike lock?

2014 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins TD2021 FWC Hawk<p>

#16 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:19 AM

I have used stacked rotopax cans for years and using their locking handle, there's no easy way to get them off.  Believe me, Ive tried.

#17 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:24 PM

I have had mine stacked on an Aluminess cook box and driven many, many miles down bad roads and they never move at all.  When I first mounted them, I twisted and turned them to make sure they were secure and could not budge them.  Adding a bike lock is certainly additional piece of mind. I look forward to your video.

Cheers

#18 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:42 PM

Hey there ... For what its worth ... I tried to do the Rotopax on the back of the Eagle... found they vertical support was a couple inches off center so decided to try something different.... I made a lightweight rack on the Yakimas so that they are below bars. 3... 2 gallon tanks. I have a 5 gallon plastic tank on the back as well sitting on a shelf on the ladder steps... works good too... but where I go I need the extra gas... at time we are over 75 Miles "in" and there are beaver dams and trees down that make back tracking sometimes necessary... I like the insurance. Here is a link to the other string that shows the install photos.

http://www.wanderthe...k-on-fwc/page-3

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#19 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:42 PM

That spells it out pretty well. Thanks for the video. 

#20 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:51 AM

Interesting.  I just tried to replicate what you did in the video and the top can does not spin at all.  I wonder if I have an older/newer version.  Thanks for the video.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rotopax, Hawk, Four Wheel Camper, FWC, Gas Can, 3Gal Rotopax, LoxMount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users