#1 Central Toast

Central Toast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

Just joined the forum--proud new owner of a much-abused and neglected 2003 hawk.  I'm unburying my 2003 Tundra from the Northstar that it's been carrying.  We had some great Baja and Sierra trips over the last ten years, but it's going to eventually crush my truck and/or fall apart in a very inconvenient locale.  

DSC00264.JPG

I've been envious of FWC's since day one.  Stoked I found one and the Northstar is sold!  The Hawk is much better for the truck and for the 'froading trips that we take.  And the extended cab-over bed in the Hawk is much bigger and has more head room than the Northstar.  Looking forward to some epic siestas up there.

So, now I have a few projects on my hands to get the Hawk in working order, with a Southern Sierra trip on the near horizon.  I can't believe how the original owner treated this thing. The good news is that the roof doesn't leak and the canvas is pristine. But every plastic piece that could break is broken.  He said he never cleaned it.  I believe him.  There is a porta-potti full of something...gee thanks guy.  That goes straight in the trash to make space for  gear and toys!

020reduced.jpg

Before I attempt to extricate the Hawk from the trailer to which it is bolted (anyone near San Luis Obispo want to buy a nice flatbed utility trailer?) and place it on the truck, I'm trying to get the electrical system in order.  All electrical components in the camper are working after having exorcised a demon in the ground-to-converter-box connection.   The remaining questions are related to wiring the camper to the truck and other miscellaneous items. I found the wiring diagram PDF and lots of good intel on this forum, thank you forum members!  But I have several remaining questions:

1. Wiring to truck:   Why not splice into the tow package/brake/turn signal wires that run down the left side of the truck frame, right below the camper's wires?  It makes a nice short run.

2. What is this third wire for?  The Hawk has no running lights.  This third wire comes out of the driver side of the camper about one foot aft of the charging leads and goes to the batter compartment, and it's not a green wire.  Sorta dark gray. Neither end is attached to anything.

017reduced.jpg

3. There is no plastic battery box in the camper, just the remainder of a hold-down strap starboard of the water tank.  Was there originally a battery box here? (I just bought a new AGM battery due to no venting; the guy had a standard marine battery in here with no box or vent).

4. The shore power plug has been cut off.  Here is a picture of the compartment where the plug was. Can anyone send me a picture of this setup as it should be from the factory?  The pic is of the compartment between the fridge and the front of the camper.

021reduced.jpg

5. Anyone know of the manufacturer or source for the rear swiveling flood lights?  One is missing.

6. Anyone know where the center of gravity is on a Hawk with the extended cab-over option?

7. Anyone have a manual for the 2003 Hawk? It's not on the the FWC site.  I get the impression that this was a transitional period for the company...is that accurate?

Thanks for the help!  I'll post more as the camper comes back to life.

Dave

Free advice...you get what you pay for!

1988 Toyota 4x4 with a Skamper that almost fell out of the back!

2003 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 with a Northstar TC-800

2003 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 2010 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 with a 2003 FWC Hawk

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

Abused and neglected is right. Congrats on the score nonetheless, i'm sure you got a good deal. I will leave the electrical questions to the experts. I also have a 2003 and have seen the floodlights at northern tool but don't see them there now. These are probably close to what you have:  

http://www.ruralking...ight-503ht.html

Recognize your central baja spot, plan to be southbound again soon. Good luck on your quest.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#3 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

1: The stock wiring is usually undersized to reliably charge an auxilary battery.  I always advocate running some decent gauge dedicated wiring.  Do what works for you though.

2. No clue from pic/description. 

3.  You don't need a box, just a way to secure the battery(s) down.

4. The shore power plug would be on the outside of the camper, not sure what that picture is of.

2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#4 Central Toast

Central Toast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

Thanks pods8--the picture with question #4 is from the inside of the camper, looking at the back of the shore power access area, which is sited between the fridge and the front wall.  I you looked from the outside, through the shore power access door, you would see the same hole in the plywood box, filled in with resin.  The hole looks about plug-size, but I don't know whether a shore-power plug was in fact mounted there, or what.

#5 SLOJET

SLOJET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo, CA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:04 AM

I do know the CG point for the cable jacks is 31.5" +/- an inch or so from the front. That should get you in the ballpark. If you need help with anything, I'm in SLO and am on my second Hawk. How much for the flatbed?

Edited by SLOJET, 01 June 2013 - 04:57 AM.

2001 Hawk on a 2009 4WD Dodge 2500 Diesel.

#6 Central Toast

Central Toast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:36 AM

Thanks SLOJET...I'm looking to get around $1000 for the trailer but don't have any specs for you right now; reach me via messenger if you are interested in it and I will take measurements and photos, etc.  It is a stout trailer.

King Taco--Nice rig! from your posts I would expect that we may cross paths.  Any chance you could shoot me a photo of the cabinet area between the fridge and front wall, and also the shore power access with the little door open? Trying to figure out how it was configured in there before the prior owner destroyed.  Thanks!

#7 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

That pic does not make sense to me. I had an ice box which has since been removed with the space turned into a pantry so I have full access to the area and there is no space between there and the front wall other than the under sink storage. My shore power is buried forward of the sink and would be aligned with and behind my circuit breaker panel. Trying to envision what the PO has done to your camper to allow you to see that or is it a pseudo shell model?

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#8 SLOJET

SLOJET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo, CA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

That pic does not make sense to me. I had an ice box which has since been removed with the space turned into a pantry so I have full access to the area and there is no space between there and the front wall other than the under sink storage. My shore power is buried forward of the sink and would be aligned with and behind my circuit breaker panel. Trying to envision what the PO has done to your camper to allow you to see that or is it a pseudo shell model?

I was thinking the same thing. Looks like a modified shell model.....  

2001 Hawk on a 2009 4WD Dodge 2500 Diesel.

#9 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:40 AM

Bump...

How goes the project CT? Did it end up being a shell model with mods?? Curious...

TT
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Electrical, hawk, tundra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users