#1 jlrray

jlrray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:14 AM

My FWC Kestrel has an icebox that I'm about to ditch.  When I owned my sportsmobile, I used a tiny built in 3 cu ft DC Norcold fridge all the time and found it invaluable.  At this point, I've read numerous posts regarding the ARB / ENGEL / etc line of top loading fridges and I almost picked one up -- but I would have to sacrifice the little space between the counter and the back of the camper.  With space at a premium, I've begun thinking about replacing the built in icebox with a WAECO front loading fridge / freezer.  Although probably not as efficient as the top loaders, I'm thinking Id' like the convenience of the front loader vs pulling the basket in and out - plus I can get a much larger unit like the 110 and remove the drawer that sits above the icebox.  If everything works out well, the wiring should already be there behind the icebox.

Conversely, it appears there is a huge trend towards the top loader.  I totally understand the portability issue, and while nice -- i'm thinking I could do without moving it around, especially if its full.  I could even pick up a small one for inside the truck...but I'm not sold either way.

Has anyone found a front loading fridge they like?  What model is the one that is sold by FWC?  Any recommendations for or against would help me.  I wanna put this thing to bed so to speak.  THe fridge needs to hold food for my family of 5... (kids are 6/18mo / 1 in the oven)

If I buy the top loader, I'd probably gut the icebox out and put in a pantry as I missed having that from my SMB.

Thanks

photo.JPG

#2 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

Our FWC came with the Waeco 110. It surprised us how much it can hold if you think out how you package things. The freezer is convenient. We can get 4 to 5 days of food in it including 12 beers. There's 3 of us (son is 5).

#3 jlrray

jlrray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

Does your 110 make any noise? My old norcold would hum pretty much all the time when the temp was set at 3 or 4 out of 5.

Edited by jlrray, 23 June 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,293 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

You might look into the "truck fridge" brand.They are resonable in cost and very quiet.Ted has a front loader,you might check with him.I have a top loader "truck fridge" brand and love it.Doesn't make any noise.I carry it behind the front seat of our Tundra AC cab.Works well there.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

Our FWC came with the Waeco 110. It surprised us how much it can hold if you think out how you package things. The freezer is convenient. We can get 4 to 5 days of food in it including 12 beers. There's 3 of us (son is 5).

2x

I have the same one from FWC. Plenty of room as mentioned and quiet as a mouse.

Personally, I think the Waeco front loader is the way to go.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#6 jlrray

jlrray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

Frank-

I saw the "TruckFridge" brand on another post and I'm really leaning heavily towards that.  I have a small dometic / Waeco CF-25 for the cab of the truck and that should suffice for keeping cold drinks and snacks while on the move.  I just need to find that "post" on here that describes the wiring that is already in place for the fridge.  I think Stan said one is for the solar controllers or something like that.  There also appears to be what looks like the hot water line for my sink?

Edited by jlrray, 24 June 2013 - 02:41 AM.

#7 jlrray

jlrray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

At this point, I'm thinking of putting in the TF130 Truck Fridge.  Any thoughts on AC/DC vs just DC?

Joe

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,018 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

I have the truckfridge front loader. I much prefer a front loader over a top loader. I can't see any reason for needing ac on a built in fridge. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:34 AM

As Frank mentioned, I have the truckfridge 65 front loader, same as Craig. Very happy with it. Do check the power usage. It pulls about 25 amps a day which is more than some of the top loaders. No problem if you have solar or are not staying put for several days on end. The truckfridge 130 is the fridge used in all of the XP campers, and Marc only puts the best of everything in his campers. AC/DC vs. DC only depends on how you camp. We rarely have a place to plug in so the AC is useless to us. If you will have hook-ups regularly, go with AC/DC. If you are usually primitive camping, go with DC only.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#10 jlrray

jlrray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:44 AM

Pretty much mirrored what I'm thinking.  I'm gonna put an order in today or tomorrow for the fridge.  Anybody know of a good place or deal to buy it other than from the manufacturer itself?  Its already a pretty good deal, but I thought I would ask.

Anyone know which wires are for the fridge vs for solar?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waeco, fridge / freezer, ARB, Icebox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users