• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:03 PM

We made a six day tour from Sacramento to Baker, the Mojave National Preserve, Sedona Arizona, Meteor Crater Arizona, Williams Arizona, and various points in Death Valley.

We really liked the Mojave PReserve. Before we stopped we hit the Mad Greeks and got GYROS! they really are the best in the USA! We found a good camp site and the Coyotes sang to us during the night.

We stopped at the Kelso station as we traversed the preserve on Kelbacher Road. The area is still used by the UP as a place to swap train crews between trains travelling East-West. The two tall water tanks are
leftovers from the days when they would fill a steam engine's water tender with 5000 gallons in about 30 seconds.

Sedona was a beehive of activity. The trip down Slide Rock Canyon on 89A is wonderful...but the traffic is outrageous. Red Rock park and Cathedral Rock are a must see and Schnebly Hill road was really nice...almost no traffic and an easy pleasant drive.

We went to Meteor Crater and then back to Williams where we camped just outside of town in the forest after a mexican dinner at Pancho's. All night there were Elk bellowing...it was very haunting and serene. We arose in the morning surrounded by deer and birds.

The way to DV was via Hoover Dam and Pahrump. When we passed over Hovver dam we realized that they are almost done building a new bridge that will eliminate the need to drive over the dam itself. Must be a homeland security issue. Glad I did the drive now.

Upon entering DV I was surprised at the size of the Furnace Creek complex and the vast numbers of RV's there...it was certainly a small city. The roar of generators and loud music along with the large crowds left a lasting impression. We camped at one of the public campsites and I was surprised at the abundance of potable water spigots throughout the campsite area.

We went up to Ubehebe Crater via the North Highway and then via dirt road to Teakettle Junction and on to the Racetrack Playa. It is qbvious that people are taking the Playa's rocks (that can be lifted) as souveniers. Oh yes...most of the teakettles at the junction are new! from 2007! There was only one or two that were older!

We looked over the "Homestake Dry Camp" just south of the Racetrack but elected not to stay due to the constant noise of jet aircraft (from Edwards AFB ?) hitting their afterburners. The noise was pretty much constant!

We attempted to leave the Racetrack area via Hunter Mountain Pass but got goofed up and ended up taking the safe route, doubling back the way we came in. We camped at Panamint Springs that night. Nice place.

a much too late inspection revealed that 2 turnbuckles had fallen off and one was missing. Washboards! ugh!

On the way out of Death Valley we stopped off at Manzanar, the concentration camp used to imprison Americans of Japanese descent during WWII. You know, the propaganda they fed everyone justifying what they did reminds me of todays "patriot act". Pitiful.....we never learn.

We came up 395 on the way back to Sacramento but did not stop anywhere except for a bit of diesel fuel in Bridgeport. $4.29 per gal. WOW! Most of the 395 towns are closed up in anticipation of the first big storm. Most all of the business from June Lake loop and above are closed as well as public and private campsites.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4778 copy.JPG
  • IMG_4784 copy.JPG
  • IMG_4866 copy.JPG
  • IMG_4808 copy.JPG
  • IMG_4906 copy.JPG

Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#2 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:12 PM

some additional pics:

me at Teakettle junction

my old dog Elmer out on the RaceTrack....the Grandstand is visible.

the Dry camp...where the noise of aircraft abounds!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4936 copy.JPG
  • IMG_4946 copy.JPG
  • IMG_4952 copy.JPG

Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#3 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:07 PM

and another thing....

i saw 4 FWC's on the way back to Sac on Thursday Nov 1.
all were seen between Lone Pine and Bridgeport on 395.....and were headed South.....i was going north.

Fess up if it was you!

#4 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:37 PM

Hi Jeff,

Sounds like a nice get-away trip, and thanks for the story and pictures. Bridgeport is THE most you can pay for gas and try to avoid at all cost. $3.899 for reg. unleaded.:eek:

No, one was not me as I have to work to pay for trips and toys and have to save my time off to go far and enjoy being gone in our FWC. Retirement is coming slowly, but in no hurry as it will mean I'm older.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#5 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:13 PM

Great pix Jeff.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#6 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:57 PM

Great pix and report Jeff.

Thanks for posting up a pic from Homestake Dry Camp. I had recently emailed a few friends with in-depth DV knowledge, about the road past the Racetrack and whether it went led back out to a main road. I've since found out of course it doesn't, just ends there at Homestake. Death Valley is an amazing place.

I'm headed to Vegas next week. So I should drive over the Hoover Dam now? I've never seen it but it seems silly to miss it when we'll be so close.

Got GPS coordinates on that Gyro stand? :D

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#7 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:29 PM

do it now else you wont be able to in the future!

you could use the lippincott mine road to get to saline valley from Racetrack......my wife did not feel comfortable doing it.

they have a big port-o-pottie at that camppsite......but it has been pulled off it's pit......twice.

we left.

#8 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:50 AM

Cool pics and report, nice rig too!

#9 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:27 PM

Jeff,
Great report and shots, Thanks. We had the same experience with gas prices last year. We managed to need gas in the two most expensive towns. Lee Vining on the way down and Bridgeport on the way back. We'll know better next time.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#10 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:03 PM

Dear Jeff-

Wow. There is so much stuff to see out that way. At least we caught *some* of it.

Thanks for the words & pictures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users