williak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUtah, Inc.

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:04 AM

JHanson,

I can't take credit for the idea of storing a solar panel on a bracket mounted under the cab-over. There are several folks on the forum who have fabricated brackets for panels and seem to be using them with success. I just like the idea of using the front runner z brackets for a solar panel the way you did with the table. Looks bomber, and for 60 bucks, not much more than buying aluminum angle and associated HW, drilling holes, etc. 

williak

#13 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 19 June 2020 - 12:06 AM

The original link is dead, but this is the table: https://www.frontrun...amp-table.html.

Not cheap, but well worth it.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#14 Chadx

Chadx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSW Montana

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:49 AM

Jack, that link doesn't work. Looks like you have a period at the end of the link. I'll just link to the entire table and chair menu to see if that works better...there are three different tables.
https://www.frontrun...irs-tables.html

Edited by Chadx, 02 July 2020 - 03:52 AM.

#15 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:45 AM

Here's the original article

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#16 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 04:24 PM

In reference to the original post and the mounting location: I hate to be the "internet safety guy with no experience about what he is warning people about", but I have always been nervous of putting anything in that space as a little bit of bed flex on the trail could crunch that item into the roof of the cab.

#17 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 04 July 2020 - 01:15 AM

In reference to the original post and the mounting location: I hate to be the "internet safety guy with no experience about what he is warning people about", but I have always been nervous of putting anything in that space as a little bit of bed flex on the trail could crunch that item into the roof of the cab.

Andy, with our combination at least (2012 Tacoma Access Cab, FWC Fleet), there was zero chance of any contact. And I've had that truck up on three wheels so far the doors wouldn't open.

50073389618_b9b53531f1_c.jpg

Edited by JHanson, 04 July 2020 - 03:12 AM.

#18 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:14 PM

JHanson I agree.  With a 2011 Tacoma and Fleet I have locking drawer pulls under the overhang for my outdoor shower that pull out and also store a 160W portable solar panel between them when it is not attached to roof rack and have had 0 problems.  Have a lot of miles off road, although not technical rock climbing or anything like that.  It is a great storage place for those type of items.

#19 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 06 July 2020 - 03:36 PM

Overall a good plan for storage...but I have a tray on Yak mounts and store stuff in it below the overhang; might mention that what I store are flexible items that in case I really misjudge the overhang will never contact anything "hard"....got to agree with Hanson that the chance of the Hawk or Tundra frame flexing enough to hit my tray is very, very close to zero...I have a roll up aluminum table that serves us well.....just me, but so far I have also avoided puncturing the skin of the Hawk; already too many through hull fittings....

Love to see this thinking outside the box!

Phil

#20 WillTheThri11

WillTheThri11

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:44 PM

Andy, with our combination at least (2012 Tacoma Access Cab, FWC Fleet), there was zero chance of any contact. And I've had that truck up on three wheels so far the doors wouldn't open.

50073389618_b9b53531f1_c.jpg

This is a good data point for me. I have an access cab as well and was very nervous about doing serious wheeling based on having the doors rub when doing this without the camper while on 3 wheels.  I see you also have an ARB steel bumper and winch so that's even more weight.  I'm curious what you did for suspension.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users