• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:44 AM

I have a Hawk FWC scheduled for delivery in a couple of weeks. It will go on my 2011 F-250 Lariat 6.7L Power-stroke Diesel 6 3/4 truck bed. I am told that the tailgate will need to be removed. Because the factory backup camera is located in the handle of the tailgate, so goes the camera. My preference is to try the camper first with the tailgate able to close in back of the camper, but the inside space available to do so is just an inch or two shy of allowing that to happen,....Or so told by FWC Rep? So, the tailgate must go away. The existing camera height is about right in the middle (lower third) of where the new camper door will be. That height functions well. I would also like to preserve the interface with the existing system so that it automatically comes up on screen when the transmission is placed in reverse.

Okay, so question is,.... Do you folks have any creative solutions for an alternate camera type and location? Does anyone have any thoughts on if in fact the camper can be mounted inside of the tailgate of the 6 3/4 F-250 truck bed? I am all ears!!!

#2 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:29 AM

Sounds like your going old school .... like my dad used to yell at me when I was trying to back up with a trailer ... use your mirrors boy!!!!

Sounds tricky t me

Good problems to have though Congrats on your new camper. Be sure to post photos .. I am tire kicking an F-250 for my Hawk.

#3 wetcoast

wetcoast

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

Amazon has some nice backup cameras for under $40 and they are well reviewed. I have one but have yet to install it.

#4 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for the help. I was just hoping someone here would say, oh yeah just buy this camera and it plugs right into the ford plug and go hook up your boat. I would think it to be a pretty common transition that some third party could make a buck doing. How many truck campers and/or fifth wheel trailers go on F-250s? The answer is quite a lot and all are faced with this issue.

Has anyone mounted a Hawk FWC inside of the F-250 tailgate?

#5 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

You might check out some forums that are specific to your truck.  Or what I would do is call a reputable car stereo shop in your area.  They will likely be your best resource and if they are any good, they will have a solution. 

My truck is old and I so all I did was replace the head unit and mount the camera on the bumper over the license plate.  I use it for hooking up trailers and it's one of the best mods/accessories I've added, even more so with the camper. 

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#6 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Riverrunner, thanks did that. There are options, but all require either tapping into the rear wiring loom, which will negate the navigation/audio/video system warranty, or mounting another monitor in the cab so the system is separate and apart from the ford system. That being the case, will need to turn it on as a separate action every time I want to use it instead of it just coming up when in reverse. Waaaa, waaaaaa, waaaa,... I know life is tough. I will just have to suck it up butter cup. Life is good! My preference would be to just get the camper inside of the tailgate, give it a slam, use it to hook up my boat and go find another river whenever I want to. Thanks again!!

#7 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

Gotcha...  I don't think a new Hawk is going to allow you to close the the gate on a shortbox. Not from what I have seen and researched.

Can you remove the camera from the gate?  or will that still void the warranty?  I think I'd just bite the bullet and tap the feed in the rear and call it good.  Being an '11 you probably don't have a lot of warranty left.  But then I've never been one to worry about that stuff.  I need and want my rig a certain way and I'll do what I need to.  If I void a warranty...oh well... gotta pay to play.  :)  

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#8 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:39 AM

Or perhaps you can buy a second Ford camera and install it where ever you need/want it to be?

Thom

Where does that road go?

#9 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

Or perhaps you can buy a second Ford camera and install it where ever you need/want it to be?

That's what I'm going to do. Either by a new GM camera or try and find one in a junk yard.

#10 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:00 AM

Thanks everyone. I am going to get the Hawk put to bed and then figure out the best answer. Right now, based upon what I know, I am thinking that I will purchase a replacement Ford camera, rig a different mount just above the license plate and then make a ford plug to ford plug connection, then bundle up the extra wire and call it a day. Bam,schhhwwweeet. It is probably better to not mount it on the camper so that if I jack the camera free for an extended stay somewhere, the camera is attached to the truck and it is one less connect/disconnect. It will not be at the same height as the existing camera, but we can't have everything we want, not in this world anyhow. Thank you all again. I will post a picture of whatever I finally come up with.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2011, Ford, F-250, camera, backup, tailgate, remove tailgate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users