• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#11 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

I have a 2010 F250.  I removed the camera from the tailgate.....drilled one small hole in the center of the metal panel below the camper.....and remounted it there.  Works just like it always did. 

The camera has been there for 4 years now with no issues.  I also enjoy the dotted lines that the factory Ford camera has. 

camera1 - DSC_24190001.JPG

camera2 - DSC_24170003.JPG

Works just like factory....just slightly lower angle.  You can see the guidance lines still work great....lined up perfectly with my ball hitch.  The camera comes on only when the truck is in reverse....exactly like the factory set up.

Just like factory - DSC_24210002.JPG

When it comes time to sell the truck, I can remount the camera in the tailgate....put a small plastic plug in the hole.....and everything is back to factory. 

Cost for this mod was zero.  I had some old pieces of sheet metal laying around....and mounted the camera to one of them....I then used industrial strength velcro to mount the camera perfectly.  It looks just like the factory mounted it there to begin with.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#12 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

As a side note, I hated losing my standard rear view mirror when the camper was mounted......trying to get a good rear view through the tiny opening in the camper door window was a bummer.  Besides, I prefer to leave my rear window curtains closed to prying eyes.

So, I mounted a second camera to my license plate...that had a nice video display that mounts over your standard rear view mirror....and I have it wired to work with one of my "outfitter" Ford factory switches.  Here is the license plate mounted camera.

license mounted camera - DSC_24220002.JPG

Here is the factory rear view mirror with the video screen mounted over it.

second rear view camera1 - DSC_24290001.JPG

second rear view camera2 - DSC_24270007.JPG

Here is a picture of the Ford "Outfitter" switches with the rear camera switch.  I leave this camera on all the time....but wanted it switched for those rare times when you want it off.....like when some bozo is tailgating you at night and his lights are blinding bright.

Ford switches - DSC_24240004.JPG

That gave me back my standard rear view mirror with the camper mounted.  This camera has a 110 degree wide angle lens.....so there are virtually no blind spots behind me. 

Best of both worlds....the Ford factory backup camera is still factory wired to come on only when the truck is in reverse (displays on GPS screen, just like factory).....and the "full time" rear view camera is mounted to the Ford factory Outfitter swiches (displays on video screen mounted over factory rear view mirror).  I run this camera all the time just like a real rear view mirror.  Note that for this application I got a camera without any dotted lines so it will look just like a standard rear view mirror...only with better viewing angle (110 degrees).

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#13 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

Leadsled9, thanks that is exactly the kind of feedback, solution that I was looking for. Thank you all. I will post the final solution.

#14 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

I forgot to mention that the video screen mounted over my rear view mirror has two video inputs.

I also mounted a camera above the license plate of my trailer.  I switch the input to that camera when pulling the trailer so I always have rear view then too.

trailer rear view camera - DSC_24300001.JPG

#15 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

Lead, source for the camera system that you added? I'm liking your "rear view mirror" solution.

Edited by ntsqd, 20 July 2013 - 12:05 AM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#16 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

It was the Boyo VTC461R Rear-view System.  I don't know if they still make that model.  It was installed in my Tundra for a couple of years and has been in the Ford now for four years.  Still works great.....no complaints.

The camera that came with this system is on the back of the trailer.....the additional camera installed on the Ford is

Boyo VTL422C.

#17 Marshfly

Marshfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

There is a much cleaner solution for this. There is a product called a lockpick.
http://www.coastalet...ynclockpick.htm

It allows you to plug in any aftermarket camera to the factory harness and use it on your display. It also does all sorts of other cool stuff. But it does what you want without cheesy tacked on monitors or remounting the factory camera.

2014 Ram 3500 Crew 4wd Cummins, 2013 Lance 855

#18 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:23 AM

I took a brief look (not study) and it appears to do what I am after. Thank you much for your reply. My camper install is on the 15th. I am going to wait to get ti on board before I proceed further. Whatever, I end up doing, I will take pictures and get back here to advise all who have helped.

#19 jlrray

jlrray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:30 AM

Not sure if they have a Ford version, but I am planning on using NAV TV http://navtv.com, Adding a second camera and the automatic switch.  When the camper is connected, it will use the secondary camera, when its not -- it uses the default camera in the tailgate.  It has also an added benefit of allowing my wife to input destinations in the onboard GPS without giving us grief.

#20 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:08 AM

I have a 2013 F150 with the tailgate video camera on the ford emblem. When the Hawk is installed on the truck, the tailgate comes off, so no camera. The solution is to mount a second camera on the license plate but latched into the existing harness. As you know, removing the tailgate involves the disconnect of the camera by disconnecting the plug for the camera harness. You can purchase a camera harness from Ford for around $20-25. This is the harness that is inside the tailgate that is connected to the camera and exits the tailgate to be connected to the harness on the truck going to the front of the truck. I figured out the wiring for the video+ and video- and 12+VDC and hooked up an inexpensive license plate camera to this harness. When using the Hawk, I plug in this second license plate camera into the truck harness and the camera is now activated like the original. (not as nice but much better than no camera).

When I'm done with the camper and the tailgate goes back on, I disconnect the license camera and put the OEM tailgate camera back on. Seems to work great.

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2011, Ford, F-250, camera, backup, tailgate, remove tailgate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users