95 replies to this topic

#11 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

You're too kind, Mark.  I've spent a great deal of time in the southwest corner of Montana, starting with an 8 week field mapping school in '78, so despite the distance from home base, I know the area well.  And it's more like 2,400 miles from central NC, but who's counting?

Some ideas for short (or long) day hikes and drive-bys:

Sawtooth Lake--  About 8 miles north from the southern terminus of the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway lies the Grasshopper Inn, the only motel, restaurant, bar, and fuel supply for many miles.  Across the road from the Inn is a side road to the Sawtooth Lake trailhead, just  a mile or two off of the Byway. The trail is a foot and horse trail of but 4 miles in length but picking up nearly 2,000' in elevation, reaching Sawtooth Lake, a tarn, at around 8,500'.  Several segments of the trail are along or in view of classic lateral moraines. I would say the lake is perhaps a couple or three dozen acres in area and is surrounded by above-timberline peaks and scree slopes. It should be a perfect spot to take a pair of binoculars and scan the higher country for sheep. I don't know because I can't stop fishing it long enough to look around a lot.  In addition to native cutthroats, there are brook trout, rainbows, grayling, and California Golden Trout in Sawtooth Lake. Given the distance from a trailhead, and the abundance of vehicle-accessible fishing in the area, Sawtooth Lake gets but little pressure. The trout, then, are poorly educated and voracious. 

Tower Mountain-- This is a drive-up accessed from the Birch Creek basin along the east side of the East Pioneers (off of I-15 north of Dillon).  Views along the road leading in are awesome and include many of the vast Beaverhead River valley north of Dillon.  A nearly 360 degree view from the summit includes the east sides of Comet, Torrey, Tweedy, and other glaciated East Pioneer crags. The road from Birch Creek connects to Argenta, thus allowing a through route, but we were blocked by a huge snow bank in mid-July 2011 when last there, so we had to double back to Birch Creek Road to exit. The entire drive is on FS roads and I would not hesitate to take your rig along it.

Comet Mountain-- Comet is accessed from the Byway just above Elkhorn Hot Springs. A road, very steep and fairly rocky, leads up a number of switchbacks to an exploration adit and drill pad above timberline at 9,600'.  The last 3 or 4 pitches are pure shelf road and are thus a ton of fun to drive on. Over the decades, I've driven several vehicles up to the adit, including my current truck, a Crew Cab long bed F350.  There were a few 7 to 13 point, spotter-assisted turns on the switchbacks, but the big rig made it to the top in 2010.  We had to cut away about 80' of snowbank at 9,200' and were the first full-size truck to reach the adit that year.  The view from the adit area is stellar, and if you can scree-hop the additional 600' of elevation to the summit, you'll be blown away.  The north and east side of Comet is shorn off as if it were a melon with a quarter section cut out of it. The drop off is nearly vertical and drops 1,400' to two tarns below.  You're looking at another glacial geology classroom with cirques, tarns, and aretes in abundance. The aretes are knife-edged ridges where two cirques back up to one another or are beside one another.  If you don't care to pound the truck up to the adit, and I'd be fairly reluctant to do so bearing a truck camper, you can park below and hoof it up the road. You'll make about the same time walking as driving, anyway, due to the switchbacks and slow-going over the rocks. 

Trails of the Rock Creek area--In the northern, lower part of Rock Creek Canyon lies the Welcome Creek Wilderness and a small network of foot trails.  The area is accessed by a suspension bridge over Rock Creek at The Dalles.  Further upstream (south) another network of trails encircles the Hogback Homestead Cabin and picks up 4,000' of elevation to reach Hogback Point in the John Long Mountains, then loops back to Rock Creek Rd a couple of miles south, near Wyman Creek.  This is a long day's hike and I'd be stunned to see anybody on the trail, particularly during the week. 

The Lolo Motorway--The Nez Perce Trail followed high ground north of the Lochsa River since the river's canyon was too difficult for travel on horseback. That being the case, it is the exact route taken by Lewis & Clark on both the outbound and homeward legs of their journey. It is also where the Nez Perce came to their aid on the outbound leg and saved their lives by generously providing food and assistance.  Today the route is called the Lolo Motorway and is something like 90 miles in length from near Lolo Pass to near Pierce, ID.  There are a number of historical markers and viewpoints along the way. This would be another must-see for students of the Lewis & Clark journies.  There are downloadable brochures for the Lolo Motorway, too.

Foy

Edited by Foy, 21 July 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#12 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,282 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

Foy's last route the Lolo byway,would be a good way for you to start from your home in Bend.Take US 26 east pick up US 95 north and work your way over to US 12 east,the Lolo byway.From Lolo pass east if you were going to Glacier that is a nice route to the west side.There are a lot of camp sites along the Lochsa River.With all the fine scenery and history that would be a good way to start your trip.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#13 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Bowman Lk campground on the west side.There are some nice, less used lake campgrounds on the NW side of Glacier.

Going to the Sun Hwy.has a nice trail to some great vistas.

enjoy

Frank

Agreed.

This is the Glacier no one goes to, must be the gravel washboard suicide 1 1/4 lane track. Just got back from there and add Kintla Lake to the list, just to the north of Bowman Lake. Glacier views without the people.

You've seen pics of lakes and mountains....how about food and drink?

First stop on the way to the lakes, Polebridge Merc for Huckleberry Bearclaws....ymmm spent $60 here on baked goods.

Don't miss.

JihoMIV.jpg

fHGjLzz.jpg

Walk 50' to the bar and the end of town.

HcnAVC8.jpg

If passing through Kalispell, MT stop at Mooses saloon on main street for pizza..... bring a knife or a chain saw to carve your name into the wall or table. Don't worry about all the sawdust on the floor.

RyIbPbC.jpg

I was born and raised in Montana and love it.....you will too.

Oh, one more thing.....buy bear claws in Polebridge NOT gas.

RU36eJz.jpg

Edited by rotti, 21 July 2013 - 09:37 PM.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#14 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,282 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:02 AM

Rotti I've heard about the bear claws from Polebridge.When we went through there in 09 it wasn't open,but spent two nights at Bowman Lk.Even over Labor day weekend there weren't many other campers there.

The day hikes from there are great.You can hike to a small lake,Lower Quartz Lk. I think is it's name.

Enjoyed our time there.Definitely recommend a stay there if in the area. 

Actually the road isn't that bad.I saw regular cars driving it,but it has a lot of washboard,and loads of dust.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#15 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:56 AM

I would highly recommend the Magruder Corridor. There are excellent short to long hikes off the road, to lookouts, lakes and rivers. Parts of the road are fairly rough, especially coming down into the Selway River drainage, but that's what granny gear is for. Running down the road to Paradise Guard Station on the Selway and hiking and out and back down the river (especially if you like fishing for cutthroat) is very nice. For a great history of this area and north to Lolo Pass, read Bud Moore's book The Lochsa Story.  Traveling though this section of the SBWilderness also lets you see (and maybe experience!) what the most natural fire regime left in the lower 48 looks like - a 40 year history of managing fire in the wilderness.  Foy's list is excellent, especially if you have a few years!

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#16 ACEBLACKDOG

ACEBLACKDOG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSOUTH LAKE TAHOE

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

TOTALLY AGREE ... u ha00ve to go to bowman lake in west glacier...road in will beat the crap out of u -- GO SLOW !!-- take a kayak if u have one u will not regret it...

#17 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

Some of this might complement what Foy has mentioned.

Idaho scenic byways:

http://idahoptv.org/...s/scenicbyways/

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#18 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:54 PM

Wow, lots of great info in this thread! Makes me want to head that way.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#19 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:16 AM

Wow, lots of great info in this thread! Makes me want to head that way.

And I think there's plenty of room for all who are interested. :D

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#20 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,282 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

Mark your trip sounds inviting,but for us about a month too early.

Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users