Photo
- - - - -

Camper Shell Mod for sleeping (add yours)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 iame58

iame58

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:36 AM

Here is my camper shell conversion. 
I first tried the standard bed platform, it did not work well for either storage or headroom given the fact that I have a small Ranger pickup with a cab high Leer shell. My latest attempt is working well though! Rather than storage underneath that is hard to get to, I am using shelves for storage above and sleep on the floor. I built 8"w hardwood shelves for both sides mounted above the bed rail and secured with the 4 canopy shell bolts, then one 22" deep removable shelf for the front that hangs on the side shelves. 4) 4" cushions store well under the front shelf and using a Bedrug on the floor. The front shelf and cushions pop out in seconds leaving the pickup for hauling and other purposes. LED lights, 12v outlet, window fan switch all in one pod unit in the rear. I also added a simple awning that is easy to set up or take down in a couple minutes. Couldn't be happier with this set up for simple camping. 

Please, feel free to post your camper shell mods.

Attached Thumbnails

• 9230543847_3c61031ddc_b.jpg

#2 iame58

iame58

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:37 AM

9233330900_f73a295355_b.jpg

#3 iame58

iame58

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:38 AM

9470238420_5fb5b945ec_b.jpg

#4 iame58

iame58

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:40 AM

7476820350_2cd495ffba_c.jpg

#5 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:48 AM

Prior to our camper we used a Toyota pickup with a carpet kit. Fortunately our shell was higher in back so we had more room than a cab high shell. I like your set up. But with the bed between the wheel wells and shelves above it, it seems like it would be crowded for two people. You must be traveling solo or have a very friendly/tolerant partner. ^_^

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#6 iame58

iame58

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:15 AM

Thanks....yes, I was concerned about the narrow wheel wells too, but it seems to work okay for the two of us and it is nice to be able to sit up. It is just for an overnight or two now and then, not an extended vacation.

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

Hey,if it works for you and it looks like it does,than the most important thing is spending time out in the "wilds".

Makes a simple easy to deal with camping unit.

Your "awning/tent" cover on the rear gives you at least some weather protection.Have you thought of using a pop up shade/rain shelter,like the ones used at farmers markets?

You could get carried away and add a small 50W solar with battery and a Truckfridge cooler.

Just some thoughts.

Have fun Frank.

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 iame58

iame58

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:35 AM

Some good ideas, Frank. Thanks. I had not thought about using one of those shelter tents, inexpensive, easy to set up and provides a good place to put things (always a problem storing stuff!) while camping. We are headed out to the Olympic Peninsula (WA) next week for a couple of days, might have to grab one of those tents at Costco.

#9 Edgewood

Edgewood

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationBellingham WA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

We use a Kelty Carport on the back of our truck and back of our Four Wheel. It works better then a awning in the snow and provides protection to the door from the weather. 

When I spent a lot of time in the back of my truck I used a simple shelf board that spanned the truck bed rails. It could slide close to me when sitting up to make a great cooking surface or a place for a light and book. Just slide it away when more room is needed.

#10 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationExploring the western, USA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:27 PM

Looks like a nice platform setup.

I wanted to share what my wife and i did for our TACO (now sold) as far as a camp setup. We used something called a Sportz Tent (link to their website) Here is an image of our TACO with the tent (we slept on a platform similar to yours under the canopy) :

TACOtent01.jpg

TACOtent04.jpg

Lastly, a link to a page on my domain that details our platform bed setup . . . a sample:

TLFtaco03c.jpg

Cheers,

Thom

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon USA
2010 Chevy Express AWD Light Overland Vehicle
"You don't have to understand here, to be here." Charlie Crews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users