Photo
- - - - -

Camper Shell Mod for sleeping (add yours)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:38 AM

When on base camp trips in my '84 Xcab with a tall shell I take a cheap Big 5 "Two Person" tent (yeah, right!). Set up the tent and everything that doesn't need to go out on the day's exploration goes in the tent. I sleep in the rear of the truck. On point to point trips that vintage Toyota 4wd sits tall enough that I can stash the plastic boxes, that have to come out for me to sleep in the back, under the truck. Anything that might not want to get drizzled/dripped on goes in the cab.

I long debated enclosing the fenderwells with storage compartments that were vertical to the height of the top of the wells, and then sloped towards the bed rails.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#12 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:51 AM

A.R.E. Camper Shells make blow up mattresses designed to fit in pickup beds.

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#13 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:02 PM

I remember thinking about do something like this when I was several years younger. I never got it done but if I had belonged to a site like this back then I am sure I would have. So cool to see the clever ways our folks manage to make the best of their equipment :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#14 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:44 AM

I had a few action packer totes with all my gear in it. I carried a couple sleeping bags and enough camping stuff for me and my son or my wife. When I was alone I could store the packers on the other side where I slept. It worked but was not great. My wife didn't like to sleep in it unless we were way off the beaten path, no curtains. 

#15 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:10 AM

Best thing I ever did was to make some curtains out of some of those cheap bunting lap blankets. Dramatically increased the heat retention and my wife's comfort in sleeping in the bed.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users