4 replies to this topic

#1 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

dollie.jpg

Ordered our FWC Hawk in early July and used the time since to put new tires (Firestone Destination ATs), and a backup camera (wireless) on the truck. Then just waited... and waited. Decided to turn my distress into productive effort yesterday and built this dollie for the camper I have yet to obtain. I think when pregnant women do stuff to prepare for the soon-to-come baby it is called "nesting". I nested.

About 4' x 6' x 3' made from 2x4s and a sheet of plywood plus some 4x4 to help mount the casters. Did pretty well on planning except I made the width beams 4' and so when dropped the plywood on the top it came out 3" short. Oops. Rather than take it all apart and correct it, I added a 3" strip of plywood to the short side  As a former mechanical design engineer, it agrieves me to make this kind of mistake because I didn't bother to make a proper layout of my design. On the other hand, it's liberating to just scrawl something out on a scrap of paper and go out and build it.

Alan

#2 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:15 AM

Nice job. Somewhere I saw one like that where they had put plywood on the lower part also to make a shelf to store camping stuff under the camper. I like that idea but I don't have enough ceiling height in my garage for a tall dolly like that. I wanted to be able to pop the top during storage so I had to make my dolly low to the floor. I hope your camper arrives soon.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

Good to channel all that anticipation related energy. Congrats on your new camper. And, remember once you get it, don't sit around and admire it. A dirty camper is a happy camper.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

Congrats on pulling the trigger on the Hawk. Be sure to post a pic of it sitting on its dolly. Better yet, we'd all love to see pics from the inaugural voyage.   :)

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

Congrats on pulling the trigger on the Hawk. Be sure to post a pic of it sitting on its dolly. Better yet, we'd all love to see pics from the inaugural voyage.   :)

Do you have an update for us? Is it sitting on its dolly? Inaugural voyage?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dollie, camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users