32 replies to this topic

#21 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

anyone find LEDs for the fluorescent, double ended two prong, replacement? 

There's a great question. What are the options with these fixtures to go to LED?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#22 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

There's a great question. What are the options with these fixtures to go to LED?

x2

I went with the fluorescent as a compromise between incandescent and LED. I didn't like the price or harsh blue light of the FWC LED and the power use of the incandescent. I wonder where the fluorescent falls as far as power usage? I thought it was a lot less than incandescent?

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#23 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

anyone find LEDs for the fluorescent, double ended two prong, replacement? 

The fluorescent runs on ballast, I think you could just pull the unit find the 12v leads and wire in a square LED. 

This is what I use with an adaptor.    I have double side tape holding it in place.

diy_48_2.jpg

#24 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

Thanks Bill!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#25 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:57 AM

The old LED's were efficient, but the color was awful.  Some newer LED's, such as the 5050's, have 3 chips per "light" and the color can vary.  The light is so good I have to wonder if fluorescent bulbs will survive.  Camper lights need to evolve and take advantage of the features of LED's.  It seems once LED's become affordable (cheap), they could be built into the ceiling and bathe the camper in light.  The light above has 48 modules.  Spread them out and they could light a larger area with more consistent light...but we're not there yet.

#26 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:13 AM

x2

I went with the fluorescent as a compromise between incandescent and LED. I didn't like the price or harsh blue light of the FWC LED and the power use of the incandescent. I wonder where the fluorescent falls as far as power usage? I thought it was a lot less than incandescent?

I checked my fluorescents and they draw 2 1/4 A each.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#27 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

Couple of pics of the LED's at night.

p352507560-4.jpg

p175411821-4.jpg

Light wasn't harsh or too bright to me.  Seemed like there were a perfect replacement.  Need to get one for the porch light next.

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#28 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

Re: fluorescent - 2.25A seems like a lot compared to LED and not better than incandescent, although likely more light per Amp.

Riverrunner -  The light color/temperature looks very good.  Is this picture representative of the actual light color inside your camper?

#29 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:54 PM

Riverrunner -  The light color/temperature looks very good.  Is this picture representative of the actual light color inside your camper?

I would say yes.  The led was a "warm" color which I wanted to get as close to OE as possible.  I think it's great and am very happy with them.  

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#30 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

The LEDs I used were the base type,I think 36 "dots".The light from them seems about like Riverrunners.

I purchased 4 LEDs and have 2 in each light fixture. Most of the time we only use one LED to read by and that seems like enough.

I went from stock bulbs to the LEDs.
After thought should have gotten one for the outside.Next time I pass the camper world by me I will stop in.Not worth it to order one the shipping would be half the LED price.

Thanks for the pictures.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users