• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:32 PM

don't know if anyone has brought this up .our tacoma has rear sliding window and we have a cat that likes to be able to roam at will between camper and truck so we have always added a boot so it stays open.the added benefit is that when we are on dusty,silty roads we close all the windows in cab turn truck vent fan set to high on outside air which in turn builds up pressure keeps dust in the camper and truck from being overpowering,also have noticed that in winter with heater going it keeps the chill off in the camper.easy to make if you use lite weight naugahide which is easy to sew on a reg sewing machine if you use a heavy needle ,just a idea for all you people with time on your hands and need a project!drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

#2 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationCentral California Sierra Nevadas

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:13 AM

Any pictures?

#3 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:21 AM

i had the one fwc offered years ago but never used it...actually sold it to a member of wtw. i'd love to see pics of this one though...

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#4 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:55 AM

i had the one fwc offered years ago but never used it...actually sold it to a member of wtw. i'd love to see pics of this one though...

I have that boot now. A great addition. However, I recently bought a new truck that doesn't have a rear slider, yet. I suspect it will be put back into service in a month or two.

#5 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:48 PM

The boot described works ok but will wear paint off the truck and camper over time. Another option is the round boot that looks like a children's play house tunnel. This boot goes inside the window opening of the camper and truck to create a sort of tunnel between the two and will not do any damage over the long run. You can usually find the boots at camping world or any large RV supply store.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#6 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:04 PM

i guess i should of explained the boot a little more.i also got the boot with camper when i picked it up at riverside factory.the one they give me did not fit so i took it apart ,rebuilt ,and i also made a second boot as ben talks about that is hooked to frame of truck sliding window and also the frame of fwc.no wind or water leakage,when i took fwc off of 2002 and moved to 2008 i noticed that the only rubbing was on window frame ,which leads me to this next comment.when i looked at my truck the first time (pick what ever truck,camper motorcycle,etc)it was new but as soon as i bought it became used,as such i use it as i need maintain it ,do not worry about brush stripe's, rock dings,etc, its a tool to take us on our journey,if it gets damaged so be it the same with our fwc it was sold to us as a tough camper and it is a very tough basic home on the road or trail.i'm always changing items on the camper also and if i end up with a screw hole,scrape,it just reminds us of the great times.just my thoughts on equipt and trucks,it's what i like about wtw site every one has different ideas on usage,just my 2 cents worth ,drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

#7 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:54 AM

when i looked at my truck the first time (pick what ever truck,camper motorcycle,etc)it was new but as soon as i bought it became used, as such i use it as i need maintain it ,do not worry about brush stripe's, rock dings,etc, its a tool to take us on our journey,if it gets damaged so be it

Well said. I've owned 4 vehicles for camping - a VW rabbit and 3 trucks. Usually within the first month of owning them I have brush stripes, dings, etc. I've had people ask "how can you do that to a new vehicle?" My answer is "I bought it to get me someplace special, and if getting there results in some minor appearance flaws, I'm okay with that." I've also been told I should fix this scratch or that dent, to which I reply "Why? It's not rusting and I'll only have to fix it again the next time I go someplace special (i.e. someplace without people who are more worried about the appearance of the vehicle than the special place)."

On the other hand, because I know a boot of this type will eventually wear through the paint, I clean the truck and camper before putting in the boot, and take it out for the really hard core, rockin' and rollin' off road stuff, which causes more flexing between the cab and the bed/camper. After all, the truck is a tool, but there is no reason to wear out the tool prematurely.

#8 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:53 PM

here are some sample pictures of the front sliding window boot we offer ...

Attached Thumbnails

• boot 2.jpg
  • boot 3.jpg
  • Boot.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users