Photo
- - - - -

Constant running 2 way Dometic 80L frig.

Refrigerator

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:31 AM

I installed my 65L 2 way my self in my ATC and did a rather custom job of it. Every part of the fridge except the fan and coil area is sealed off with about 1" of multi-layer Reflectix insulation material and aluminum HVAC tape. The fan and coil are properly exposed to fresh air and no dust gets in. This simply works really well and I don't draw a lot of power at all. My fridge has been on full time since May and pretty much runs off of solar, no puking CO2 in the air for the sake of recreation. I keep it reasonably stocked so that helps too, always some ice-cream and frozen chicken in the freezer, LOL!

Anyway, that is my take on it...

Edited by Kodachrome, 10 October 2013 - 01:32 AM.

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

#12 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 742 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:32 AM

My compressor fridge seemed to run way too much initially when the weather was warm. I talked to FWC and they assured me a separate fan wasn't needed and to check where I set the temperature control. I bought a refrigerator thermometer and placed it on the back wall under the freezer section - I adjust the knob until it settles in the correct temp zone; I think I had it turned too cold initially. I also keep tupperware containers of ice (frozen at home first) in the freezer section as I don't use it for frozen food. Keeping the fridge full of food, drinks, etc. also helps. With all that the compressor seems to run only as needed and things stay nice an cool inside. I also start the fridge empty about 24 hours before I take a trip with the camper attached to shore power, then add already cold food and drinks. The shelf in the door is the warmest place, only use that for juice or non-critical items.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#13 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

Thank you all for your feedback. I'll just need to observe and readjust the thermostat. I may have had too little in the fridge and the thermostat too low. I'll need to add a better thermometer to monitor.

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

#14 Fitz

Fitz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

I bought my 2012 Grandby with the ice box option.   I then scored on a discontinued Waeco 110L  fridge similar to the Dometic 110L for about half of the price.  I installed  a vent on the side of the cabinet next to the stove with a fan.  I wired the fan to the fridge to only come on when the fridge cycles on.  I also installed a switch in the vent to disable the extra fan when outside temps are below 80 degrees.

My fridge came with a plastic defrost drip tray under the freezer, removing the tray greatly improved the performance of the fridge. Not sure if the Dometics come with this tray,
By accident while camping one day I had pressed my arm up against the door of the fridge and was suprised at how cold the door was.  I removed the door when I got home and slid out the black sheet metal door panel facing and put a layer of Reflex insulation on then reinstalled the panel.  Now the door does not fell as cold to the touch.
Hope this helps

#15 Fitz

Fitz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

I guess i need to work on my picture posting.

gallery_3103_709_2294562.jpg

gallery_3103_709_448538.jpg

gallery_3103_709_1172325.jpg

gallery_3103_709_3741036.jpg

#16 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:35 AM

Fitz, nice job on the installation. How difficult was it to remove the door and panel. I looked at mines and couldn't determine how to dismantle the door. 

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

#17 Fitz

Fitz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:56 AM

It was pretty easy.   I had to slide the fridge about six inches out of the way of the cabinet to access the top 

and bottom swing arm pins that the door swings on.  Four screws hold the top swing arm pin,  I removed  top pin and lifted the door off of the bottom pin.  With the door off of the fridge, mine had  three screws holding bottom frame molding to the door.  I removed the bottom part of the frame and slid the panel out.  Again mine is a Waeco fridge and I'm not sure if Dometic changed the design when they took over the company.

#18 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:12 AM

I installed my 65L 2 way my self in my ATC and did a rather custom job of it. Every part of the fridge except the fan and coil area is sealed off with about 1" of multi-layer Reflectix insulation material and aluminum HVAC tape. The fan and coil are properly exposed to fresh air and no dust gets in. This simply works really well and I don't draw a lot of power at all. My fridge has been on full time since May and pretty much runs off of solar, no puking CO2 in the air for the sake of recreation. I keep it reasonably stocked so that helps too, always some ice-cream and frozen chicken in the freezer, LOL!

Anyway, that is my take on it...

I took my Grandby in today and they basically did this modification.  The area under the passenger side grill was opened.  Originally the grill was installed but a plate sealed it.  They added a lower vent and access door below it.  Now fan and coil are exposed to fresh air.  The fridge is insulated all around with Reflectix and sealed off so dust and wind stay out of the camper.  Looking forward to seeing how it works this weekend.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Refrigerator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users