Very nice work, thanks for sharing!

#62 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:40 AM

I guess that I should add this back seat storage and dog platform to my build thread.

I met a WTW lurker who calls himself "Silent Bob" (which makes sense for a lurker), and he commented on this part of my build.

I built this removable unit for both storage and a top platform for the Jack Russell and the Min-Pin.

Behind%20Seat%20Storage%20Ranger%201_zps

Notice open cut out on top of unit in above photo and in the below photo a cover panel to make a flat platform. I wanted access to the storage where the stock screw jack was located. I removed the screw jack as I carry a bottle jack and a Hi-Lift.

Behind%20Seat%20Storage%20Ranger%202_zps

When designing this unit I just measured the angle of the front seats and the distance back of the front seats that I normally have them at and calculated distances for my scale drawing plans. When this storage unit is in place the seats can't recline any farther or go back any farther. 

Behind%20Seat%20Storage%20Ranger%204_zps

Behind%20Seat%20Storage%20Ranger%205_zps

The very bottom of the storage unit goes all the way across, side to side, for long items.

Behind%20Seat%20Storage%20Ranger%206_zps

The dogs get a nice view, all around from their platform. I drive very conservatively, i.e., I go slow and don't follow anyone closely. I'm in no hurry and want the best gas mileage I can get. I've been thinking about making some "clip in" attachment points for the dogs as they are always wearing their body harness, however, I haven't either thought up the right concept or found what I'm looking for yet.

Behind%20Seat%20Storage%20Ranger%207_zps

Center section open to the front for things we might want to get at while driving, or at least don't want to exit the vehicle and open the rear doors, like see-mores, dog water bowl and water, etc.

Behind%20Seat%20Storage%20Ranger%208_zps

Storage of items in the area where the stock screw jack was previously stored by Ford (cover removed to see items).

Behind%20Seat%20Storage%20Ranger%209_zps

Edited by Alley-Kat, 13 August 2016 - 02:45 AM.

#63 TacomaJeff

TacomaJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationTroy

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

This set up is awesome. I'm in the middle of deciding between a ATC bobcat shell or a FWC fleet shell. Love how you eliminated propane. Heater and cook top are perfect.

#64 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for the kind words.

I can vouch that the ATC guys are the best, they do great quality, stand behind their product with excellent customer service, and they will work with you on what you want.

Some basic considerations for me were;

1) Having ATC use screws on the bottom of the interior panels, instead of staples which both FWC and ATC do normally. Screws are used at the top and down the sides of the interior panels by both FWC & ATC, however, not on the bottom. This allowed me to completely remove the interior panels for any 12 VDC wiring I wanted to add. No dice with FWC.

2) Ability to deliver to ATC components that I desired, such as; 2A) - a 12 speed Fantastic Fan, 2B) - Marine fireproof headliner material, 2C) - Interior LED 12 VDC lights, and 2D) - Floor covering. All were my purchases which they installed at the time of construction. No dice with FWC.

3) Having ATC not carpet the floor pack above the floor, it is just painted plywood, so I can add the cabinets I built directly to the plywood. No dice with FWC.

Edited by Alley-Kat, 31 January 2017 - 06:54 PM.

#65 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

This set up is awesome. I'm in the middle of deciding between a ATC bobcat shell or a FWC fleet shell. Love how you eliminated propane. Heater and cook top are perfect.

One more vote for the ATC team, they are great!   We love ours.

I am haunted by waters

#66 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:55 PM

great build-out Twice !   i see your last post was in 2017, i suspect there have been some changes  :)

i like your idea of having panels screwed in.  i saw where a fellow put some L-trac horizontally on the outside - i am putting that on a list of questions for atc, when i get them my deposit.  i was thinking i could use the L-trac to mount a table(s) for outside cooking under the awning.

thx again

go

Oregon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users