15 replies to this topic

#1 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

I received about six spam emails from WtW this morning.  I hope the tech guys are on it.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

Stew-

Were these spam emails notifications of new posts on WTW?  Spammy new posts on a topic to which you'd posted before and were subscribed?

Several -- a lot -- of spammy posts were made in the wee hours of the morning and the night before.  The posts have been deleted and the posters stopped.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

More than likely Mark.  Al though some of the topics did seem familiar.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for reporting these at any rate.  I received similar emails last night/this morning, but only because I was subscribed to those threads.  Spam posts on topics to which I and other Moderators are not subscribed can slip through so we need members to report anything weird they see.

A good way for members to report something weird/bad is to click on the "Report" link, which is visible dimly at the bottom of every post, and it becomes visible strongly when your cursor hovers over it.

Report-01.jpg

A "Report" will trigger a notification to an Administrator (Janet) as well as to us Moderators, so that makes it more noticeable by the people who NEED to know about problems with our site.

Thanks. :)

#5 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, Calif

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

Thanks for the "report" location Mark,

I had a question regarding Spam...and policy regarding link postings...Doug knows about this one....the stainless link on the Alaskan forum......

I was just looking for the site policy regarding commercial link postings and stumbled on this thread....

before anything erupts on the Alaskan board

Edited by Rusty, 06 November 2013 - 06:09 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

I don't think the Administration has an OFFICIAL policy regarding links to commercial sites, but the Site Team is currently discussing it after looking at the Stainless posting.

The policy may take the form of "OK to post text about -- with a link to -- commercial sites but not OK to copy/paste-post ads from commercial sites".

Like, it's probably OK for a member to post text like, "I just saw that Camping World has Fantastic Fans 50% off this week!" with a link to the CW page, but maybe not OK to post the Camping World ad itself.

I made use of such a "Fantastic Fan on sale" tip myself as well as tips about solar panels on sale.

As I said, we're discussing it...

#7 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

I have a small forum just for my jetboating/fishing buddies (20 of us) and it's amazing how many registrations I get a day from spammers.  I had to lock the forum down tight, create some instructions on how to register and have to approve anyone that tries.  It's not even anything special but the spammers keep coming.  I wish I was more savvy on this stuff and I don't know how the bigger forums keep them off the site.  :( 

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for the "report" location Mark,

I had a question regarding Spam...and policy regarding link postings...Doug knows about this one....the stainless link on the Alaskan forum......

I was just looking for the site policy regarding commercial link postings and stumbled on this thread....

before anything erupts on the Alaskan board

I don't think the Administration has an OFFICIAL policy regarding links to commercial sites, but the Site Team is currently discussing it after looking at the Stainless posting.

The policy may take the form of "OK to post text about -- with a link to -- commercial sites but not OK to copy/paste-post ads from commercial sites".

Like, it's probably OK for a member to post text like, "I just saw that Camping World has Fantastic Fans 50% off this week!" with a link to the CW page, but maybe not OK to post the Camping World ad itself.

I made use of such a "Fantastic Fan on sale" tip myself as well as tips about solar panels on sale.

As I said, we're discussing it...

This forum is and will remain a friendly spot on the web. From what I've read, members have experienced the "other side" on different forums and that is one reason this forum is appreciated. As MarkBC says, we are discussing it. I believe the original poster only wanted to share where he purchased items. Many of us have done the same and many of us have benefited by picking up on deals. I think only a link to a website would be more appropriate.

We're discussing it.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

I have helped the original poster edit the thread. We appreciate that the general membership of this forum understands we site team members are participating members also. We volunteered to serve this role. We shy away from any kind of appearance as overlords or heavy handed action.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, Calif

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

Awesome job...moderating can be a difficult position

yous guys are doing great

thanks for the cleanup

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users