#251 bj40

bj40

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 28 July 2018 - 03:08 PM

Ski,

I can't believe that I finally found this build documentation. Been lurking more than anything for nearly a year. Great work!!. Thanks for all the posting you do on so many topics and your blog posts as well. I just recently took possession of a new ATC Ocelot Shell. Hope to begin a buildout in mid August. Yes, I too, am very happy with the work that Marty and Jeff and their crew do at ATC. I will probably borrow on a few of your construction details. I am sure it will be a challenging and rewarding process.

#252 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:46 AM

Ski,

I can't believe that I finally found this build documentation. Been lurking more than anything for nearly a year. Great work!!. Thanks for all the posting you do on so many topics and your blog posts as well. I just recently took possession of a new ATC Ocelot Shell. Hope to begin a buildout in mid August. Yes, I too, am very happy with the work that Marty and Jeff and their crew do at ATC. I will probably borrow on a few of your construction details. I am sure it will be a challenging and rewarding process.

Thanks for the very kind comment. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#253 carld

carld

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationDecatur Texas

Posted 30 March 2019 - 02:29 AM

Ski, 

Great build documentation, its very helpful.  I'm still analyzing it.  Hope it's more fun using it than making it. Working on my build and it's a nightmare.  Every time I cut into the shell it hurts.  Hopefully I don't mess it up too much.  Yours looks great, very clean. 

Carl.

2002 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2015 Ocelot

2006 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2018 78" Ocelot

2011 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2010 78" Ocelot

#254 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:36 AM

Ski, 

Great build documentation, its very helpful.  I'm still analyzing it.  Hope it's more fun using it than making it. Working on my build and it's a nightmare.  Every time I cut into the shell it hurts.  Hopefully I don't mess it up too much.  Yours looks great, very clean. 

Carl.

Carl, thank you! So many trips to so many places, well over 380 nights in it thus far. It just keeps doing its job and we love it. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#255 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:16 PM

Excellent documentation.

When you had the camper built, did you ever think to not have the interior walls on the sides installed?  in that way you could connect your cabinetry directly to the aluminum structures.

I am looking for a used atc/fwc, and am wondering how i am going to find the aluminum to attach things to.  i am thinking i may go with some 80/20 to make internal structures, as i don't quite have the cabinet making skills you have !!   would u happen to know of anyone who has used 80/20 in a pop up?  I see it all over the van conversions.

thx for your excellent reporting, and i enjoy your trip reports

thx

greg

Oregon

#256 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:46 PM

Maybe you could use a "stud finder" like in wood construction.

Just a thought.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#257 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:48 PM

Greg, I believe a lot of the ATC campers, especially the shells, were built with the interior walls screwed in, so you can get behind them for running wire, etc..

I am haunted by waters

#258 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:16 PM

I unscrewed the top of the side panels and pulled them back. Small pencil mark to let me know where the alum tube was.  I then ran a 1x4 on the side to attach the cabinets to. 

Edited by billharr, 08 August 2020 - 08:17 PM.

#259 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:16 PM

I did not attach my cabinets to the walls at all. Built the cabinet shell from 1/2" plywood attached to the floor and the icebox cabinet. Have had no issues in seven years and 100K miles. I like the idea that the shelves can flex with any movement and temperature changes.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#260 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:15 PM

Excellent documentation.

When you had the camper built, did you ever think to not have the interior walls on the sides installed?  in that way you could connect your cabinetry directly to the aluminum structures.

I am looking for a used atc/fwc, and am wondering how i am going to find the aluminum to attach things to.  i am thinking i may go with some 80/20 to make internal structures, as i don't quite have the cabinet making skills you have !!   would u happen to know of anyone who has used 80/20 in a pop up?  I see it all over the van conversions.

thx for your excellent reporting, and i enjoy your trip reports

thx

greg

When ATC built our camper, prior to the interior paneling going in, Marty supplied photos of the inside walls with tape measurements showing all framing and wiring.

As Bill said, the top edge is screwed on allowing opening up a bit of a gap to see down inside.

Alley-Kat here on WTW asked that his paneling be installed with screws instead of staples.

Good luck with your project.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users