21 replies to this topic

#11 nostromo68

nostromo68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:39 AM

I am new to the forum but have dealt with a similar issue. I have a 2006 Tundra Crew Cab and purchased an 06 Kestrel for it. After looking at fit check info from FWC, I learned that the Kestrel was made for the 00-04 std and AC Tundras with the lower sidewalls. After adding about 2.5 inches of base to the bottom of my camper, it fits great on the top of the bed rails and only a few inches over the top of the cab. Good fit IMO.

20121108_150132.jpg

Happy Trails...

Eric

#12 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:59 AM

This is my Tundra 2002. (attached photo) Added 4" PVC pipe on both sides which works well to store my awning and poles or other items that are long and bulky, such as fishing poles, tarps and hiking poles, etc. etc. When I ordered my "Hawk", I do so with the idea of upgrading to a full size truck within a year or two. I have been been happy with my current set up. However, my mpg did decrease 2 mi/gal. ugh! Next year I plan to buy a new truck and I'm leaning toward a Dodge. Heard they might be coming out with a light duty diesel in a half ton...?

Tried to add a photo, but didn't go through. Too large of a download. Sorry, don't know how to fix this and share my photo. UGH!

It looks like I got it. Happy trails to all.

Attached Thumbnails

• 003 (6) (800x600).jpg

#13 Rick NV

Rick NV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:53 AM

Explorer- good job with those pvc pipes - it really balances out the look to fill in the gap - that is a really nice looking set-up- thanks for sharing ...

#14 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:04 AM

Explorer- good job with those pvc pipes - it really balances out the look to fill in the gap - that is a really nice looking set-up- thanks for sharing ...

Thanks Rick NV

#15 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Can you see past the pipes with the side mirrors?

Hello,
Yes, I can see them pactically. As Look in my side mirroes I seepart of the end cap near the cab and along the length of the pipe. I always know they are there, but as you can see there tucked under the camper. They are basically directly above the top of the truck bed. I added another pic for you to see.

Happy trails,

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4033 (800x600).jpg
  • IMG_4037 (800x600) (2).jpg

#16 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

Hello,
Yes, I can see them pactically. As Look in my side mirroes I seepart of the end cap near the cab and along the length of the pipe. I always know they are there, but as you can see there tucked under the camper. They are basically directly above the top of the truck bed. I added another pic for you to see.

Happy trails,

Another shot of 4" tubes.

Attached Thumbnails

• 002 (10) (640x480).jpg

#17 Roger

Roger

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:46 AM

Hey folks, DD's post was in 2006....He's been through 2 trucks and campers since then. Today he has a custom ATC mounted on a flat-bed Ford.

Beware! Zomebie Thread!

Zhooo, Zhaaa...
Still interesting.... Sooo. do you use pressure treated wood or do you just paint with exterior paint like I do?

By the way what kind of bed liner do you use?
Spray on or roll out?

Thanks

Roger, brains, brains, water, solar, brains!

#18 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Another shot of 4" tubes.

I apologize for my spelling errors...not sure how that happen because I proof read my typing? Thanks to all for your kind remarks regarding my camper modification with the PVC tubes. Great place to store long items...

#19 funemployed

funemployed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 12:01 AM

Hi, great idea with the PVC pipe! How did you attach then? Want to do the same for fishing poles and ski poles. Thanks!

#20 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:01 AM

If you don't hear back in a reasonable time, you might check the date on the post previous to yours.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users