2 replies to this topic

#1 sjelmes

sjelmes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationThe Bubble, CO

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster. Guessing I'm not the first guy to use that opening line.  ;)

I own a 2006 Toyota Tundra (4x4, Access Cab, Regular bed) and am looking at a 1999 Palomino Bronco 600 that is for sale locally. My truck is leveled and that includes an add-a-leaf in the rear and I plan to install Firestone Air-Bags, so I am feeling good about the weight which I believe to be 1000lbs. previous owner used a 95 Tacoma.

My question is about the tie-down points. I was curious if anyone has experience with a similar setup and if a system like this might work (Trying to avoid permanently installing a set of mounts):

http://www.etrailer....acc-onlyreviews

Those are the Brophy Camper Tie-downs for those who don't want to click the link. 

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm still searching and it will either end up being a Palomino 600 or a Four Wheel Campers if I can find an affordable used model.  :D

#2 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:39 AM

I've seen a few people use the stake pocket tie downs.

I think most manufactures are staying away from them these days because the truck beds are getting wimpier.

Edited by Stan@FourWheel, 28 January 2014 - 03:41 AM.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#3 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:07 AM

Before my FWC I used those with my old Caveman, a hardsided camper.  The Brophy's were popular in the 70's and early 80's.  I actually used 3 a side, one up front and two rear, one each side of the campers eye bolt.  They worked quite well actually.  Like Stan mentioned above avoid the stake pocket style.  I used the clamp style simular to the video.  I also used them on a 73 Dodge and have no idea how that bed compares to your Tundra.  Remember too that they stick out several inches from the sides of your truck.

Best wishes with your choice.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users