• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:37 AM

I haven't read the following documentation but plan to this coming weekend.

For all of us who have ventured or plan to explore Saline Valley and the priceless environment and history...

http://parkplanning....projectID=39438

http://parkplanning....ocumentID=56823

http://parkplanning...._(1).pdf&sfid=0

http://parkplanning...._(1).pdf&sfid=0

http://parkplanning....2014.pdf&sfid=0

Meetings:
Furnace Creek Alternatives Development Open House

Date Start Time End Time Location
02/04/2014 4:00 PM 6:30 PM Furnace Creek Visitor Center
Highway 190
Death Valley, California
760-786-3243
The National Park Service (NPS) is seeking public input to help inform and shape alternatives development for a management plan and environmental impact statement for the Saline Valley Warm Springs area of Death Valley National Park.

Description:
The purpose of the proposed plan is to provide a basis for managing this remote yet popular area of the park, balancing the protection of unique natural and cultural resources with public health and visitor use at the Saline Valley Warm Springs. Five alternatives have been drafted and the Park Service is asking for comments at three public meetings in February. Comments can also be submitted electronically or by mail.

Meeting Directions/Instructions:
The meeting will take place in the Multi-Purpose Room in the Furnace Creek Visitor Center.

Enter your starting address to get directions from Google Maps.

Lone Pine Alternatives Development Open House

02/05/2014 4:00 PM 6:30 PM Statham Hall
138 N. Jackson St.
Lone Pine, California
760-786-3243
The National Park Service (NPS) is seeking public input to help inform and shape alternatives development for a management plan and environmental impact statement for the Saline Valley Warm Springs area of Death Valley National Park.

Description:
The purpose of the proposed plan is to provide a basis for managing this remote yet popular area of the park, balancing the protection of unique natural and cultural resources with public health and visitor use at the Saline Valley Warm Springs. Five alternatives have been drafted and the Park Service is asking for comments at three public meetings in February. Comments can also be submitted electronically or by mail.

Meeting Directions/Instructions:

Enter your starting address to get directions from Google Maps.

Ridgecrest Alternatives Development Open House

02/06/2014 4:00 PM 6:30 PM Historical Society of the Upper Mojave Desert
230 W. Ridgecrest. Blvd.
Ridgecrest, California
760-786-3243

Description:

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#2 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:59 AM

Sure hope this is not NFS talk to we want to close the area to motorized vehicles. As an old time off road motorcycle rider I have seen this happen too many times.

"Description:

The purpose of the proposed plan is to provide a basis for managing this remote yet popular area of the park, balancing the protection of unique natural and cultural resources with public health and visitor use at the Saline Valley Warm Springs. Five alternatives have been drafted and the Park Service is asking for comments at three public meetings in February. Comments can also be submitted electronically or by mail."

"

#3 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:15 AM

Thank you ETAV8R for bringing this to the Advocacy Forum.

I treasure this place and hope it will remain much the same.

If you want to participate in the process,  public comment  is open until 3/28.

Otherwise there are only three public meetings:  02/04/2014 Furnace Creek Visitor Center,  02/05/2014 Lone Pine Statham Hall, 02 /06/2014 Ridgecrest Historical Society of the Upper Mojave Desert.    I'm a bit concerned those three meetings may be swayed by locals, but not necessarily the actual visitors.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,018 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

If what I've read here http://forum.salinep...g/?forum=244766 is any indication, I don't think its so much about closing roads but doing more active management. That could be good or bad depending.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

If what I've read here http://forum.salinep...g/?forum=244766 is any indication, I don't think its so much about closing roads but doing more active management. That could be good or bad depending.

First let me say I have not been to Saline Valley. I  did go to the site above and followed a link to the NPS comments. Many of the comments use "wilderness" to describe the area and not "back country". There was also a lot of comments on intrusion into the adjacent wildness.  

I would be very worried about "active management"  I have camped off of slick rock road for over 45 years. At one time it was an adventure to get to Spicier Reservoir, now thanks to active management you can drive a class A there. In just the last few years Utica Union Reservoirs have had full campgrounds put in and you can no longer camp in some places. The four wheel roads have been leveled so any car can get there. Where I camp on duck creek you can park your Prius with in a 1/2 mile. Now we have   constant stream of walkers and mountains bikes going through camp.  We also have the NFS stopping in and counting heads, over 20 and you need a permit.

20 years ago you needed to have a jeep or off road motorcycle to get to where this sign is. 

598746_568605666514271_1884910247_n.jpg

Edit: To summarize rant above.

NFS is headed to two types of camping.

• Full campgrounds with pay to camp
  • Full wilderness walk in only

If the area you like to camp off a four wheel road has something to offer such as a hot springs it will be "managed" to the point of a full campground. Not many free area's you can drive to left.

Edited by billharr, 01 February 2014 - 07:24 PM.

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,018 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:30 AM

I still haven't done slick rock. Tried last year but it was during the fire and so smoky i gave up. Does saline need more management? I can't say. I was there when it was maybe half full. Certainly didn't need it then, I don't know what its like on a holiday weekend..

The unfortunate part is,  a lot depends on who is in charge. A good team and you won't hardly notice anything. Problem is what is the next team going to do?  Way too much turnover in the NPS and other govt. agencies.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:20 PM

"First let me say I have not been to Saline Valley."  I have been to Death Valley a couple of times but not Saline Valley.

"At one time it was an adventure to get to Spicier Reservoir, now thanks to active management you can drive a class A there. In just the last few years Utica Union Reservoirs have had full campgrounds put in and you can no longer camp in some places. The four wheel roads have been leveled so any car can get there."  I hear you

Edit: To summarize rant above.

NFS is headed to two types of camping.

• Full campgrounds with pay to camp
  • Full wilderness walk in only

I think all the land management agencies more or less tend to think this way.

"If the area you like to camp off a four wheel road has something to offer such as a hot springs it will be "managed" to the point of a full campground. Not many free area's you can drive to left."  IMO the same is largely true all overI say let's advocate for managing the status quo.  If it's truely wilderness and not just untouched, good, manage for that.  For those areas that access is challenging, perfect, another action point.  If It's developed to the point of Prius access, excellent, lets put forth some effort to keep up that infrastructure.

Of course that's not a perfect answer.  A wilderness designation will lead to a demand for either a new trail system of overhaul of the existing one.  An off road access designation will probably be analysed for and get some erosion control, stabilization and access control.  The developed campground will gat a bunch of development planned with no real plan of how to keep it up post decision.

What I do know is if you really have a concern for this area, or any area important or special to you that you take the opportunity to be heard or support those orginizations and clubs that fairly represent your shared view.  This is THE opportunity to exercise your right as an American to be part of the process.  What one needs to the remember is the process is on a timeline, thus it has an expiriation date.

Sorry Mr. Harr for taking over your viewpoint posting which I support by the way.  Please carry on. 

Edited by LuckyDan, 02 February 2014 - 10:40 PM.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#8 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:42 AM

Having just returned from Saline Valley this afternoon I can tell you this was a topic on many folks' mind. With the rich history found there one would think they could/would consider it a historical landmark in league with mines, old structures and such.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#9 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:02 AM

Another site I am on, Bay Area Riders Forum, has some more information on Saline.  Notice the NFS did not notify the person who runs the Saline Valley Preservation Association.

Their forum has quite a discussion on the Management  Plan. 

#10 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:27 AM

Okay, I have no stake in this discussion-never been there, but who knows I might one day. As a retired fed employee, who attended his share of "public meetings" as a fed, this thread sounds very familiar, so go to the meetings, write letters, call people because I don't know how many meetings I went to(after lot's of prep)-where we really wanted input and no one showed up-or those that did represented the usual user groups like off road users, environmental/wildlife interests  or a organic specific users like ranchers, timber  or mineral types.Maybe things are different now, but we really cared about the public lands we managed for the public-"we tried anyway"and without getting into any arguments about what this or that statement meant, any direction we got was from what ever the theme of the present administration was presenting and it was not the law and we sometimes actually did what the public wanted-enough of that!

While we usually had an general idea of what the above  users/pol's wanted, most other people (the real public) knew nothing about what was going on. and these lands are  public lands  and they  are not just for just a few select people or groups!   People pressure (new people showing up out in out back country areas) and resource scarcity (caused drought ect,) is really causing management problems these days; and if you don't show up and add your two cents worth, everything out there may end up being either one big dirt bike area or one protected wilderness area.  Planning is a major part of the land management process (and is opened up to the public for a reason) and nothing can be done without a plan first-so you need to get involved or you just may loose those lands to those with allot more money than most of us have.

At one time I seem to remember once when Public Lands where called "multi-use"  and we practiced "conservation" and they  were (sometimes) even  managed in a way that everyone could use them (or at least parts of them); some lands closed, some open, some mixed and that things would swing back and forth between the users and the savers ! It sounds trite, but working together is only the way out. Today there is no option left but to take part in these meetings because we are not really really running out land-we are running of options for those lands-really! You don't take part in the talk, you will keep getting  the mess we have out there now! We bitch allot on this site about "them" people showing and ruining "our" wonderful places, so this is the time to do something; it sort of like voting, if you vote you can bitch because at least you did something anyway!  Sorry my old BLM inner self came out again!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 12 February 2014 - 02:42 AM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users