• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MegaHawk

MegaHawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:49 AM

I got my hawk shell a couple months back and have realized I would like a more comfortable seat than just the overhangs. So I went to a furniture store and bought a cheap futon. I put it in from side to side so that it runs the width of the camper but my problem is that it sticks out so far into the camper. I seen a picture on here where the roll over couch is put in the front like I have the futon. So what are the dimensions of the roll over couch in both positions?
Thanks in advance.

#2 llavaseur

llavaseur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationHazel Park, Michigan

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:28 PM

I had my fold over couch installed the same way side to side in my grandby shell.

In the couch position it sticks out 31" from the front camper wall.

In the fold out bed position it sticks out 44 1/2 inches from the front camper wall.

there are 3 cushions involved including the fold over couch back and if you remove the smaller seat cushion that is 13" wide you could gain that much floor space while in the couch position. So in the couch position it would only be 18" from the front wall, also you could just flip the 13" cushion up and it will fit behind the couch back  for storage so its there when you fold down for the bed.

13inches_zps8a6ce6fa.jpg

couch_zps101d68c1.jpg

Edited by llavaseur, 15 February 2014 - 08:38 PM.

#3 MegaHawk

MegaHawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

Thank you very much for the reply. So let me see if I have this correct. The third cushion is just a loose cushion that is 13" and lays behind the actual couch? Does it have support built into it? If I was to remove that third cushion to only be 18" from the front wall do you loose any seating area? In the picture you posted of it in the couch position do you just have the third cushion standing up behind the couch?
Thanks again.
The futon sticks out 34" from the front wall in the couch position and just chews up all the available floor space.

#4 llavaseur

llavaseur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:02 PM

Both Seat cushions are loose and have their own support built into them. In my picture above of the couch all cushions are in place but yes you could just place the 13" cushion behind the seat back, mine fits fine standing up back there. You would loose some seating area with the bigger cushion pushed all the way back to the front camper wall but the nice thing is you could just slide it back out when you want to actually sit on it. This will give you more walking around room while doing other things. In a hawk i'm sure the extra 16 inches of walking room would be welcome.

this is what mine looks like with the small cushion flipped up behind the seat back and the larger cushion pushed all the way to the front camper wall. I actually put it in this position when raising or lowering the front of the roof because it allows me to be right under the board that we push up on.

seatcushionpushedallthewayforward_zps920

Edited by llavaseur, 15 February 2014 - 11:22 PM.

#5 MegaHawk

MegaHawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:53 PM

Ok I got it now!! Called the place I ordered the camper from and left a message asking the price of the couch finished in the silver spur. I like the looks of your set up better than my futon so if the price is not crazy I will be doing this. Thanks again for your response and the pictures to help me better understand.

#6 llavaseur

llavaseur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:45 AM

Edited by llavaseur, 16 February 2014 - 01:46 AM.

#7 MegaHawk

MegaHawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:49 AM

Thanks. So where is the third cushion located in those pictures???

#8 llavaseur

llavaseur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

In the link i posted from the four wheel camper website it shows the couch mounted in the normal side position. It doesn't show the third cushion but you can see the space next to the window where it would go. All the thrd cushion does is give you a wider bed, it could be discarded if the owner doesn't need the second bed or a second bed that wide, its a very versatile setup.

Edited by llavaseur, 16 February 2014 - 01:54 PM.

#9 jackattack

jackattack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:55 AM

I had my fold over couch installed the same way side to side in my grandby shell.

In the couch position it sticks out 31" from the front camper wall.

In the fold out bed position it sticks out 44 1/2 inches from the front camper wall.

there are 3 cushions involved including the fold over couch back and if you remove the smaller seat cushion that is 13" wide you could gain that much floor space while in the couch position. So in the couch position it would only be 18" from the front wall, also you could just flip the 13" cushion up and it will fit behind the couch back  for storage so its there when you fold down for the bed.

13inches_zps8a6ce6fa.jpg

couch_zps101d68c1.jpg

Hi, Sorry to bump an old thread, but if I understand correctly, they installed your couch like this from the factory? It seems like a good use of space. I'm in the process of ordering a new one, so I'd really like to know if it was difficult to get them to include this "custom" feature.

Is the "third cushion" an option as well? Is it generally included with the couch, or an extra fee, and if so how much?

When the bed is made out, can you see through the window out the back?

Alaskan 8.5'CO | F250

#10 ElGigante

ElGigante

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 12:22 AM

Hi. I am sure this thread is dead but to revive an old one. I am thinking of making this now. We have been through a few permutations but my wife like this one best. I have rollover couch brackets and was going to build my own in our Grandby shell

Making the front of the couch start about 25” from the back wall and the length of the back cushion 19” that makes us a 44 inch bed.

Our brackets have a 1” difference between the two heights so we thought we’d use 3” hard foam for the seat section and 2” for the back rest. This way they make a level bed when opened.

Has anyone done this post 2014-5 lol. If so we’d like to hear from you. If not well I just may have some pictures to post in a bout a month.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users