• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

We recently started planning a trip to the Canadian Rockies and posted pictures from our last trip to encourage and inspire others to visit.  All the pictures were taken from paved roads but one which is a trail picture.  The drive from Banff to Jasper is one of the most scenic in North America.  

We visit the Canadian Rockies once every ten years and so are planning our fourth trip.  Previously, we flew into Calgary and drove one hour west to Banff with a car rental; flew into Seattle and drove one long day to Banff with a car rental; and finally drove from Iowa for more than three days to reach Banff for a tent camping trip with our kids.  The Banff to Jasper corridor is an excellent one week destination if flying or driving from Seattle which we did on our first two trips.  Passport in hand, our last trip border crossing was easy compared to our earlier trips prior to the passport requirements.  

We purchased an annual Canadian National Park pass in a trip to Waterton CNP in August 2004 and then used the pass for a second trip to Banff and Jasper the following July so one pass can cover two explorations of Canada parks.  The campgrounds functioned like our NP's with a mix of no reservation and all reservation campgrounds.  No reservation campgrounds could fill in the late afternoon and of course during the weekends. Banff has many hotels but they can be expensive while the campground costs were similar to our parks. Purchasing the Parkways of the Canadian Rockies guidebook was invaluable to finding and seeing all the road accessible wonders including the top tier free fall waterfall, Takakkaw at over 1,000 feet.  The Canadian Rockies Trail Guide is the most comprehensive trail book and the Trails Illustrated hiking maps are very useful for finding all the trails.  

We do our trip planning one or more years in advance so this trip will not occur for awhile but we enjoy the research and planning during the winter months.  We hope you are inspired.

gallery_5179_727_423107.jpg

gallery_5179_727_645647.jpg

gallery_5179_727_68723.jpg

gallery_5179_727_42987.jpg

gallery_5179_727_479073.jpg

gallery_5179_727_501044.jpg

gallery_5179_727_148536.jpg

gallery_5179_727_706083.jpg

gallery_5179_727_33942.jpg

gallery_5179_727_317435.jpg

Edited by iowahiker, 21 February 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:10 AM

I last did that trip when I was about 11. Its time to see it again for sure.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 GBW

GBW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

I'm just next door to Banff National Park, 1.5hr drive.  Its funny, I really don't go there often, Its insanely packed in the summer.  It is beautiful and I do really recommend everyone goes.  We often go to Kananaskis, just east of Banff.  Its significantly quieter, not a national park, so hunting, fishing and some minor off roading (forest roads etc) are allowed.  Let me know if and when you pass through again.  You can always stop at my place, Calgary, as a resting station and maybe get a few local tips.

The lakes are just beautiful, just begging to run a canoe across.  Nothing more Canadian than riding in a canoe and wearing a plaid jacket.

2003 Dodge 2500 CCSB CTD auto

2001 FWC Hawk

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:53 PM

I think it's time for us to do that area. Maybe this summer/fall.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:47 AM

I'm just next door to Banff National Park, 1.5hr drive.  Its funny, I really don't go there often, Its insanely packed in the summer.  It is beautiful and I do really recommend everyone goes.  We often go to Kananaskis, just east of Banff.  Its significantly quieter, not a national park, so hunting, fishing and some minor off roading (forest roads etc) are allowed.  Let me know if and when you pass through again.  You can always stop at my place, Calgary, as a resting station and maybe get a few local tips.

The lakes are just beautiful, just begging to run a canoe across.  Nothing more Canadian than riding in a canoe and wearing a plaid jacket.

X 2! The summer months ... especially the long week ends can be packed. Lots of great things to do just out side the National Parks. Parks have their moments. Just be careful in peak season its really busy. Some of my best haunts are just out of the parks and empty in July/August. 

#6 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:01 PM

We did find the Kananaskis Country while researching the Canadian Rockies trip this winter and purchased the "Gem" hiking maps and Gillean Daffern's "Kananaskis Country Trail Guide" books.  We will most likely visit the Canadian Rockies during the summer of 2015.  The campgrounds around the K Lakes look like a good base to hike trails in every direction and a campground is just something to be endured but they are near the trailheads.  Backpacking is too much work and dispersed camping has fewer trails.  We will most likely hike: K Country, new trails near Lake Louise, Glacier/Revelstoke, and finally wander the Icefields Parkway.  I think we will return to many places to visit quieter spots when we wish to hike less.  Looking at K Country campgrounds revealed Alberta Provincial Parks has the best campground reservation system in North America if not the world.  Google would be proud of the technology Alberta has put into campground reservations.   Usually we get to a trailhead parking lot early enough to get a spot and people spread out enough after a few miles on the trail so crowds only impact us when we return at the end of the day.  Morning drives are usually less busy than afternoon and so we survive.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: canada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users