Photo
- - - - -

Just getting started, what accessories do I need?

fwc newbie accessories truck camper

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 wfscot

wfscot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

I'm just getting started in the world of overland travel with a 2005 Dodge Ram diesel and a new FWC Hawk.  I'm trying to get the basic accessories together and I was hoping to get some insight from the community here.

BTW, the goal is to be able to do lengthy (1 week+ outings consisting of a mix of established and primitive camping).  The camper has dual deep cycle batteries and we plan on adding a solar system in the near future.  We are used to camping, and thus have a good handle on cooking stuff, food, etc.

Here's what I've got so far.  Note the questions for some of the items:

- 5 gal collapsable tank and hose for sink waste water (already have)

- Hose system for both filling water tank and connecting to city water

- How long should the hose be to work in most situations?

- What fitting(s) should I have for the far end of the hose?

- Pressure regulator for city water

- Funnel for filling tanks manually

- Extension cord for charging on the road and shore power.  Again, how long?

- Are there any adapters necessary to plug into shore power and RV sites?

- Collapsable step stool to access roof (we have a rack system up there)

- Cleaning supplies

- Bleach for disinfecting waste water tank.  Is this the way to do it?

- Tub for soapy water when cleaning dishes (to save water)

- Cleaning wipes (already have)

- Utility microfiber towels (already have)

- Electrical

- Small inverter (already have, for laptop)

- 12V USB chargers (already have, for cell phones and small electronics)

- General accessories

- Basic tools

- Headlamps (pretty much always have in our climbing gear)

I'm sure I'm missing something, though.  Any guidance is much appreciated!

2005 Ram 2500 diesel w/ 2014 FWC Hawk

#2 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

Welcome to the world of "wandering the west"-you will not be sorry!  The old stand by-duck tape, fuses, a good tool box with assorted  goodies and some type of heavy duty water sealant or/and some type of glue/gunk to fill the holes that happen to your rig/fwc and to stick things together! Lot's of " getting unstuck " stuff, there are a couple of good threads here that list the things like handyman/come along, small potable air pump/tire sealant combination pacth kit, kiddie litter, that you hope never to need but you want  for those emergencies you don't plan for!  10 ply tires if you plan to drive off of the paved world out there and into the back country, really, lot's of threads here on this too, but lot's of us think it better to bounce a little more on the hw, so you don't get you side walls torn out because you were to cheap and bought some nice cheap 2/4/6 ply tires-personal opinion here, but get the 10 ply heavy duty tires-you will not regret it!   You may want to get heavy duty springs/air bags for the rear too-again threads here on that! That's a start, take your camping gear along for sure-most of us use the pop-up for sleeping in and for bad weather and live out side most of the time. Last thought a tarp of some type that you can use outside or over you pop-up if it springs a leak-that's enough for now-you are going to get allot of advise from this bunch! last last thought-slippers, booties something to wear inside your camper and a small sink plunger for stopped up drains!

Enjoy

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 12 March 2014 - 07:24 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#3 wfscot

wfscot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:55 PM

Thanks Smoke!

With the 3/4-ton truck, I'm already rocking E-rated tires and the stock suspension seems to handle the camper weight just fine as-is (although adding airbags to be able to level it when parked is interesting...).

I will most definitely add the other stuff to my list, though.  The kitty litter is especially innovative!

Thanks again!

#4 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

Some random thoughts:

• Leveling blocks - I just cut up some 2x6s and stuffed them in the tie down hatches

• 25' extension cord has been long enough for me and have never needed adapters

• I'll second the air pump

• Short garden hose for the sink drain

• Two 12' water fill hoses

• Shovel, axe, bow saw, climbing rope, snatch em strap

• Hide some extra truck and camper keys on the exterior

• Good maps

• Put some thought into a "bug or walk out" bag scenario

• First aid kit 

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#5 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:55 PM

Thanks Smoke!

With the 3/4-ton truck, I'm already rocking E-rated tires and the stock suspension seems to handle the camper weight just fine as-is (although adding airbags to be able to level it when parked is interesting...).

I will most definitely add the other stuff to my list, though.  The kitty litter is especially innovative!

Thanks again!

My water hose and extension cord are 10 feet. Haven't seen a need for anything longer. Also have a 15A female to 30A male electrical adapter. I run water through a 5 micron filter before putting in the tank. Have a water pressure regulator but haven't used it and prefer to fill the water tank instead. When loading on the roof I carry a 4 foot step ladder and carry it on top and use the rear wall steps to get it down and put it up. Instead of a tub I have a 5 gal collapsible bucket to wash dishes in and use the outside shower nozzle for rinsing. I put a light weight Yakima Basketcase on the roof for things I don't want inside like crab pots, clam tubes, wet suits, life jackets, snow shoes, etc. Can't think of anything else right now.

#6 wfscot

wfscot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:43 AM

Thanks all!  This is awesome info!

For those that recommend compressors, I don't have airbags and I have a full size spare that I plan to rotate with the rest (and thus won't mind running on it for any amount of time in the case of a flat).  Do you think I still need a compressor?

rotti, great call on the bug out kit.  As climbers, we should generally have what we would need for a few days on foot, but it's good to really think it through.

JHa6av8r, is that filter something that you can attach inline with the hose?  That sounds like a great idea!

Thanks again!

#7 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:16 AM

• Leveling blocks - I just cut up some 2x6s and stuffed them in the tie down hatches

I had some 2x6 blocks for leveling, but they tend to split after a while.  I salvaged some 1.25 -  1.625 thick OSB/plywood scraps off one our jobs and cut them into 6" x 12" nominal chunks (one side cut on a 45 angle) for leveling.  One day I had some primer on my paint brush, so I gave them all a quick coat.  So far, they have lasted a couple of years.

Unless you have the outside shower option, we have found that a garden sprayer type model can provide for a hot shower in the boonies.  We use the Zodi Extreme model.  It can fit standing upright in it's bag behind the rollover couch, in the back corner.  I use only the iron ring (not the legs) and put the Zodi on top of our stove, using the iron ring to support it.  Quick way to get a hot shower after a long day climbing routes.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:14 AM

Compressor is handy to have to air up the tires after driving a rough road or sand. Air down tires for better traction and smoother ride. The compressor most of us carry - someone remind me I don't want to go out to the truck - is small, easy to carry, and not so expensive.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:57 AM

Check out expeditionportal.com too. There are tons of topics there and not only about pop-ups. WTW has great users and some are on both forums. Can never have enough resources. Welcome to WTW

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#10 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:59 AM

JHa6av8r, is that filter something that you can attach inline with the hose?  That sounds like a great idea!

Yes it attaches in line between the faucet and hose. Just do a search for RV water filters.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fwc, newbie, accessories, truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users