Photo
- - - - -

Just getting started, what accessories do I need?

fwc newbie accessories truck camper

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#11 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:31 AM

Ski mentioned the benefits of airing down and to fill back up there are many different ways to have compressed air.  Ski could have been thinking of MV50, cheap, works, and the price is right.  I use it as a back up to my Puma that I hard mounted. 

If you get stuck in sand etc, you can lower the air pressure and will aid in a wider foot print and could be able to drive away....depends how bad you stuck yourself.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#12 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:38 AM

Then there is the simple things.... spare roll of Toilet paper.......and a small shovel. ;)

First aid kit with superglue. A good (paper) map that will cover where you are at all times.

A open mind to think outside the box to deal with what situation is thrown at you unexpectedly.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#13 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

Then there is the simple things.... spare roll of Toilet paper.......and a small shovel. ;)

First aid kit with superglue. A good (paper) map that will cover where you are at all times.

A open mind to think outside the box to deal with what situation is thrown at you unexpectedly.

And how could you forget a LINE level if you have a pop up camper and no sense of angles and the such :D 1

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#14 wfscot

wfscot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

You all rock!  Thanks for all the feedback!  This was exactly what I was looking for.  I'll definitely check out the MV50, too.

2005 Ram 2500 diesel w/ 2014 FWC Hawk

#15 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

The MV-50 goes by a couple different names that are similar, so don't be too exclusive in what you look at.

Those familiar the book "Freedom of the Hills" know of the "Ten Essentials". TP is the 11th.

If you really want to go overboard see about finding or borrowing a copy of Sheppard's "Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide."

On most forums the first suggestion is a Hi-Lift jack. I disagree. The Hi-Lift is an excellent tool, but they are dangerous to the unknowing (& even the knowing but distracted or tired) and they are not very good for changing a flat tire. Check that your truck's OE jack is present and that it can lift a tire significantly off the ground. Any kinks in its use should be ironed out before you go. Otherwise get a small floor jack and bolt a skid-plate under it.

The second suggestion should be a full size shovel. Handle type of your choice (wood, fiberglass, carbon-fiber, etc.), but its rare that a shorter, 'D' handle is handier than a full size standard shovel. Except for, um... "Steamer Patrol". then a little shovel is handier.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#16 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

The MV-50 goes by a couple different names that are similar, so don't be too exclusive in what you look at.

Those familiar the book "Freedom of the Hills" know of the "Ten Essentials". TP is the 11th.

If you really want to go overboard see about finding or borrowing a copy of Sheppard's "Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide."

On most forums the first suggestion is a Hi-Lift jack. I disagree. The Hi-Lift is an excellent tool, but they are dangerous to the unknowing (& even the knowing but distracted or tired) and they are not very good for changing a flat tire. Check that your truck's OE jack is present and that it can lift a tire significantly off the ground. Any kinks in its use should be ironed out before you go. Otherwise get a small floor jack and bolt a skid-plate under it.

The second suggestion should be a full size shovel. Handle type of your choice (wood, fiberglass, carbon-fiber, etc.), but its rare that a shorter, 'D' handle is handier than a full size standard shovel. Except for, um... "Steamer Patrol". then a little shovel is handier.

Excellent additions to the discussion ntsqd.

iIsofar as the ten essentials, I'd say the WAG bag is the 11th.

Thanks for stating your opinion on the Hi-Lift, you have agreement here. Both the Lady and I have practiced lifting the truck with the stock jack to change a tire so we know it will work.

Full size shovel, yup. Standard blade for dirt and a flat blade when we expect snow.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#17 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

You all rock!  Thanks for all the feedback!  This was exactly what I was looking for.  I'll definitely check out the MV50, too.

Link to previous thread on air compressors:

http://www.wanderthe.../?hl=compressor

My Hi-Lift has also been assigned a corner in the shed. Too unwieldily, heavy and with my new truck I'm not sure where I could even use it without destroying something. Factory jack and maybe add a bottle jack.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#18 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

Kitty litter and a plastic bag works, poop inside camper with bag drapped over a toilet seat.... It works for cats inside a house............

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#19 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:05 PM

Okay, time to disagree with some of my field friends :ph34r: ,  I have carried and used a handyman for it seems like ever in the back of my BLM and pvt rig-again, I have been trained to use it ^_^ -for everything from getting "unstuck" to the mundane changing a tire and have used it for all those  stated purposes. Again I agree with those that say they are dangerous :wacko: -which without proper training (and with sometimes) they are -the kick back is brutal and deadly :blink: , but again, I have carried one at all times and for a period of time I felt lost when I discovered that my new (then)  F150 bumper was not  compatible to my trusty old handyman (round vrs square)and a few years later,  with glee :wub: , I greeted the new handyman attachments that worked with my F150-again. I was a whole human being, ready for the wilds and what ever!. More than once, with handy man in hand, and my govt dodge Power wagon stuck in mud (of course not due to my above average driving ability but nature) did I walk my rig through mud and the elements to safety!  As stated amny a time here on this site "what ever works-use it" and you can't have enough safety stuff with you , so what ever floats your boat and works for you is what counts :D !  And yes I carry kitty litter and boards and hope they work----but if I need it, my handyman is there!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 14 March 2014 - 11:13 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#20 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:26 AM

I carry this shovel:

http://www.extremeou...t# 008-787.html

It folds down to a small package and can easily be carried in the vehicle.

I installed a nice compressor:

http://www.wanderthe.../?hl=compressor

My high lift jack stays home most of the time.  I now carry this jack with the flat plate and attachments:

http://bmihydraulics...emart&Itemid=23

Also got the plate:

http://bmihydraulics...emart&Itemid=23

The website has some nice videos...check them out.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fwc, newbie, accessories, truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users