Photo
- - - - -

Just getting started, what accessories do I need?

fwc newbie accessories truck camper

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:43 AM

So-as I said before "what ever floats your boat" use it :P . I learned on the old stuff, and I guess that's what counts to me-what-I -me- is used to what makes a difference to me,  your stuff looks neat <_< , and I'm always ready to learn, but a handyman and some old field sense  and/or what ever,  kept me going for allot of years out there! Getting dirty is part of the learning curve, so let's "Wander the West" and hope we don't get stuck, but if and when we do, what ever works is right-right!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#22 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:51 AM

I hear ya Smoke.

I've used the high lift jack most of my life.....and it almost killed me twice....but I still carry it at times.  The thing I hate most about it when using it you have to use up all of your vehicles suspension sag before it starts lifting the tire out of the muck.  Then...you end up with a lot of weight REALLY HIGH...just looking for a chance to bite you in the butt.

Like you said....what ever you are comfortable with is the "right" stuff to carry.

A lot of times a winch can keep you from having to dig and jack at all.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#23 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:14 AM

Leadsled

Like they say---a wise man never ever stands behind a handyman jack as he/she jacks the handle up/down :wacko:  -but stands to the side, uncomfortable, but safer and wiser. Yah, us old farts do things our own way, and "getting unstuck " is a part of life, weather is fine here, time to head out and see if I can make another year of "unstuck" "wandering the west" :D and not using my faithful handyman! :P Lot's of places out here the only way you can use a winch is when it is attached to a buried handyman ;) !

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 15 March 2014 - 01:23 AM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#24 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:54 AM

I carry a Max ax. http://forresttoolco.com/the_max.html

You can occasionally find them on ebay for a lot less than retail.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#25 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:21 AM

Bought one of these for the High lift.

http://www.hi-lift.c.../lift-mate.html

Hi-Lift Lift-Mate (LM-100)

Lift Directly from the Wheel - Plastic Bumpers and Extreme Lift-Kits Are No Longer a Problem.

Hi-Lift Accessories: Lift-Mate

Many trucks and SUV's have larger tires and/or lift kits that require extensive lifting height ability from the bumper jack. The Lift-Mate is designed to operate in a manner that allows the vehicle wheel to be lifted directly from the wheel, greatly reducing the amount of travel up the jack bar needed to lift the wheel in an adequate and safe height.

Lift-Mate Features & Specifications:
•Lift Capacity: 5000 lbs. (2273 kg)
•Rubber-Coated hooks to protect the wheel
•Rubber pad for protecting the tire and wheel

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#26 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

Lots of good suggestions so far.  Some of the other things I can think of that give me peace of mind if not campsite comfort: SAE and metric wrenches, both open/box end and sockets along with screwdrivers, pounding device, vice grips, flares, Gorilla Tape and an extra fire extinguisher.  It all fits neatly under the rear seat of my crew cab.  Although I don't have them now I will be adding tire chains.  I'm in the group that carries a small bottle jack to compliment the original truck jack.  My hi-lift does get used often enough around my property, but I choose to leave it at home.   

#27 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:30 PM

Just to be clear I wasn't saying or implying that the Hi-Lift's aren't useful tools, just that in the hands of the uninformed or numbed-brain that they are dangerous and are not my first recommendation for a jack.

A trick that I learned or the avatar dune buggy taught me was to always work from the vehicle's own tool kit. If you start with nothing in the kit and add to it as you need things then you won't be carrying stuff that you'll never use. There are, of course, some exceptions. What those are I think are vehicle and owner specific.

Two tools that I always carry that are not common or commonly known about are a pair of Safety Wire pliers and a "Clamp-it" tool.

These HF pliers (link above) aren't the best set of safety wire pliers and I wouldn't use them daily, but the set that I have are functional:

i-cD3zDmg-S.jpg

Ironically I mostly use the clamp-it tool for fixing garden hoses, makes a nice low profile clamp on the hose that doesn't snag skin or anything else. It is small enough that it is part of the travel tool kit. It has saved the day in the field once and I don't expect that to be the last time.

newlogo.jpg

These will work with any wire, but since 1 lbs spools of safety wire come in such easy to store & transport packaging that is what I also carry. I regularly use the .032" size.

Edited by ntsqd, 15 March 2014 - 08:35 PM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fwc, newbie, accessories, truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users