12 replies to this topic

#1 Mongo

Mongo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

Hello everyone I have been cruising this forum for about a week now. I made a really spontaneous decision to buy a FWC yesterday! I came accross one on cragislist about 3 hours away in central Nebraska wednesday and after doing a little research on this forum decided it was a really good deal I couldn't pass on. My main concerns going in were the condition of the pop up canvas (which is a 9 on a scale of 10!) and the plywood floor etc. Both are in great shape! It was much cleaner than I expected actually.hardly a stain on any of the cushions. stout and comfy. Some of the laminate ser

1999 FWC Grandby, $2300.00

Sink, Stove, couch, furnace, Dometic 3way fridge, add-on window AC, sliding front window, screen door, roof rack, floodlights, rear wall steps, Catalina awning, 

I have lots of questions and will be in contact with the local RV place as well as FWC as I try to get some things ironed out. I hope to tap the wealth of information available here as well. The internet is really powerful this way, allowing a group of very specialized (off road camper enthusiast's)  very widely dispersed people to connect like this. Awesome.

Issues I want to address:

1. The Fridge doesn't work. Makes noise like its trying on 110v but just doesn't. 12v nothing, LPG nothing. May have sat unused for a long time, I suspect the furnace and fridge just need a little TLC to get going. But I don't know where to start.

2. the furnace kicks on and both fans are running but no burner/heat (the stove works so gas is availible there, not sure about the furnace.

3. the FWC display for the water tank level and battery life as well as the waterpump swich are unresponsive. With a test light I confirmed there is 12v there but nothing gives me any LED readouts...

4. I only got a key for the deadbolt. There is a small door on the driverside above the LPF tank compartment that's locked (fresh water?), I don't have the key. Guess I'll have to go the locksmith route on that. 

5. What's going on under the sink? is the long tube a filter? where's the water pump? I don't hear it running. 

6. The linoleum floor is peeling up and brittle at both ends. Will probably replace that. May throw a carpet remnant over it short term.

Last thing I realize my truck is TOO SHORT! I have a GMC2500HD on order coming end of April. Although the the truck handled it fine (payload is rated at 1800lbs) coming home, it's just back heavy and you can get that tetter-totter rocking on the back axle on rough hwy. It's just not balanced on the axle (obviously) in a 5'-8" box.

Well I can't wait to be a part of the FWC brotherhood. Thats all the time I have right now. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0499web_.JPG
  • IMG_0502web_.JPG
  • IMG_0508web_.JPG
  • IMG_0516web_.JPG
  • IMG_0520web_.JPG
  • IMG_0524web_.JPG
  • IMG_0526web_.JPG

#2 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:33 PM

Welcome to the site Mongo, and yes - your truck is too short!!! smiley-gen076.gif

See you on the forums, I hope some FWC owners with better experience than I have can help you out with your laundry list.

Kilroy

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

Congrats on your purchase. Sounds like you did really well. Have you perused the heater thread ( I think its stickied) has tons of good info. Can't help on the fridge, no experience with three ways. Looks like someone added a water filter, very nice. Lift panels look almost new, you did good there. As for the compartment, those use a common key, I think its  651 or something like that. No security but terribly easy to get keys for. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

Looks like you got a good buy, camper looks clean. All your problems can be sorted out and except the the fridge not to expensive. Do some Google searches on RV or propane fridges for help. It may be gone, last ditch thing to try is take it out and turn it over overnight. Turn it back wait a day and try again. I would not spend any $$ on a 3 way, I would go to a DC fridge first. 

Congrats and welcome to WTW.

#5 jcfly

jcfly

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:51 PM

Welcome Mongo. That camper looks like you scored big time !  Many fun times ahead. While not having a ton of expertise, I'll give you what I have.

#2 - Might be too much air in the furnace line - run the stove for a bit to help exhaust the trapped air and get the propane closer to the furnace.

#4 - New locks are easily ordered from FWC.

#5 - Pump switch must be on for pump to run, if you don't have an indicator light on when you hit that switch, you are missing voltage to the pump. Have you installed the necessary outlet in your truck for charging the camper battery ?

#7 - Don't leave the jacks on. Removing them shaves 100lbs. off the truck.

Good luck, and have fun with the new camper !

Jim 2009 Chevy 2500 HD / 2004 FWC Hawk

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:13 AM

The key is ch751. Buy any lock from an rv place and you get a key that unlock 99% of those access hatches out there. Some people replace them but it doesn't bother me that someone can access my electrical or water hookup. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:43 AM

Great buy Mongo. Welcome to the family.

Contact Brenda Carey at FWC - Brenda@fourwh.com. She replaced Terry Budd as Service Manager.

If your not handy call around to the RV service shops in your town. They can help you get things running again....Except as Bill suggests don't spend any money of the fridge. To old. Repair costs can run hundreds of dollars and not worth the investment.

Take it out and replace it with an Engle or a Waco front door opener.  Engle is the least amp draw at 2.5 amps start up. see link :

https://engel-usa.co...fridge-freezers Scroll down to the built-in refrigerators.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#8 Flyfisher

Flyfisher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:59 AM

Mongo - My three way fridge has a gas shut off in the line as it goes to the burner. It is accessible from the outside panel access. It is just a few inches in front of the burner and it is rather small. I would start there.

#9 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

Mongo, congrats on the purchase. Like others have said - you got a great deal. The three-way fridges occasionally get air bubble in the ammonia line. This is probably why it won't work in any mode. Bill had the right call - remove it and flip it for a day. Then upright and reinstall. If that doesn't work replace as suggested.

The lino was peeling up on our camper also. I just installed quarter round molding around the edges to fix that.

The water pump is usually just under the sink. It was an option back then so there may not be one. The monitor display had the switch whether you got the pump or not.

I have no suggestions for the heater. I know if you turned ours on without gas it would make three attempts to start (you hear the clicking sound of the igniter) and then would shut itself off. If yours isn't shutting off, maybe it is getting gas but the igniter isn't working? Best to have that checked professionally.

No suggestions for the monitor either, but they are widely available online. Maybe just replace that.

Good luck and happy camping.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#10 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

2. the furnace kicks on and both fans are running but no burner/heat (the stove works so gas is availible there, not sure about the furnace.

If the igniter is clicking and there's propane in the line but the furnace isn't lighting the problem may be the electrically-actuated valve that lets the propane into the furnace.

That was the problem that mine had -- the furnace propane valve was stuck/seized/dead-in-some-way.  A local RV service place replaced the valve (wasn't cheap).  They told me that it's a rare problem, in their experience...but it was the problem with mine.  Still works great now, a year later.

If the fan turns on but you don't hear the igniter clicking then the fan may not be running fast enough to move the sail switch far enough to tell the furnace to light the fuel.  That has happened when my battery charge is low, which causes the fan to spin slower.

If this is the symptom you're having -- no igniter clicking -- run the truck engine (to provide a temporarily high charge to the battery) while trying to start the furnace and see if the igniter clicks.

And welcome to WTW! :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: four wheel camper grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users