12 replies to this topic

#11 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

Might try checking out the therocouple on the fridge-mine went out in the field once and after clearning it didn't work, came into town and had it replaced (way to complicated for me-had to pull the fridge and other things), -after that just as long as it is sort of level it has worked.  Don't laugh but do you  you turn on the switch below the fridge?-I went my almost intire first trip with out it switched on and kept wondering why nothing was staying cold-called FWC and they told me what to do! One of the many new things to learn when changing from tents to campers. My water pump had a similar problem, bought a new pump- still didn't work, turned out that there is a two way valve that keeps the water from backing up in the water pipe ( a check valve?)-it was in backward so we got no pressure, but at least i have two water pumps incase one goes out! Hope this helps!  Have fun with your new beast and welcome to the club!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 31 March 2014 - 05:29 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#12 Mongo

Mongo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for the welcome and all the great advice! Unfortunately I came down with the flu saturday and haven't been able to do much with it. Missed work today too. Just wanted to thank you all! 

#13 Mongo

Mongo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:29 AM

Ok, I've been playing with the camper and here's what I've found.

Fridge- 

I got the burner cleaned out and lit well. Burned on gas for 20 minutes, no cooling.... removed the fridge and turned it upside down overnight as suggested by someone here (WTW).... plugged it in to 110v next day and turned it on... nothing. So I think the fridge may be a lost cause. repair cost would quickly approch new low draw DC fridge. So I'd probably be better served going that route. Speaking of that, I thought it would be nice to have a built in because it would slide right in and look nice, but in reality for that kind of investment it'd be sweet if I could take in in and out too. Use it in the truck or boat, etc... I see some on here using portable cooler style units. I may consider that too, but it would mean a little remodeling. Although they seem to be a little more $$$ too.

Furnace- Well I have gas and blowers. After doing a little checking I discovered the sail switch is not closing. So I tought I'd bypass that with 12v (Jumper) and give that a try. Nope. So I thought I wonder if the gas valves even work or are they stuck? putt 12v to them and "click" smell gas..... So I think I need a sail switch and a control board. I think I'll get the Dinosaur brand version. It seems to have good reviews. "better than OE"

The water pump was removed. I found the cut wires under the sink and the water lines just spliced.....Nice. So someone have a model for me? shurflo 4008?

http://www.americanr...ailer-Camper-RV

The battery health and water tank readout has me puzzled. Is there a water tank sending unit? How does this thing monitor the water level? I don't see wiring for that and I haven't pulled the range to inspect the tank. The battery side should work but it's dead. makes me wonder if lightning or something took out the boards in this whole camper.... furnace fridge and battery panel all out??? Heck maybe that's what happened to the original owner? Just know he bought it from a widow. don't know what happened.

Power- I have a rough idea of what i'd like to do but would like some expert advice on how to set up my battery power. I have a diesel pickup with dual 150 amp alternators to deliver plenty of current to what ever chargers/inverters I go with. I was planning on 2 house batteries for the camper. Now what charger, I'm not sure. I've had experience with marine chargers and I suppose a guy want's something similar so when I have available shorepower I can replenish/replace/charge the house batteries. I plan on an isolator to isolate the truck batteries. May be this one:

http://www.amazon.co...=I1IPM1DINKQ82W

But what 120v charger?

Also on these DC fridge's is there and advantage to going 24v? Versus (2) 12v parallel?

I figure I'll run 6 or 8ga wire from the truck alternator/isolator to house batteries. So I'll have to come up with a big plug for that. Suggestions welcome.

Has anyone found a low draw LED type 1156 bulb worth trying in my interior lights? I have 4 1156 bulbs as ceiling lights. I'd like to get that amp draw down but don't want some waste of money CFL type experiment. Or just a replacement fixture that's reasonably priced and warm colored.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: four wheel camper grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users