• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:00 AM

Heading for Grants Pass, Oregon for a few days I overnighted at Four Wheel Pop up factory in Woodland, Ca.
A very nostalgic night camped at the cnter of our universe.
Thanks for the stay Stan
Road note; the I-5 north from Bakersfield is horrible! Trying to save a little gas I had it at about 68 mph, in the right lane most of the time. It was incredibly rough, with huge fractures in the road way..

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2311.jpg

#2 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:07 AM

On the way N. I checked out Black Butte Lake campground. A little further off the road than I thought.The lake side camping would have been nice, if there were a lake to speak of.. The lake was very low, more like a pond. The campsites were nice with not a soul around. Big and spread out, with tons of space betwwen sites..

Must have seen 50 deer while touring through the campground

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2315.jpg

#3 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:12 AM

Took care of my biz in Grants Pass then headed out to the coast via the 199 to crescent city.

Stopped by Cave Junction, OR on the way to check on some property..It's just beautiful country there even in winter..

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2331.jpg

#4 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:25 AM

While in Cave Junction, I ran into an old friend who asked if I had been watching the meteor shower the past few nights. I was unaware of the event, but pretty excited to get to a secluded campsite on the coast somewhere to watch the peak that night...

While pouring over my map I came across Mattole Beach. I remembered reading some great things about the spot on this site, but couldn't remember details....A destination! I had just enough time to make the sunset, or so I thought. the road into Mattole, through Ferndale, was a tough one. Long windy and steep.I did not see another car after ferndale. When I finnally reached the coast at Cape Mendacino,I was truely in awe..

The Sun had set...just missed it.. the 5-7 miles of coast road south from there was stunning..the evening was perfect, but cccccccold

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2347.jpg
  • DSCN2348.jpg
  • DSCN2349.jpg

#5 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:40 AM

What a groovy little campgound! Nobody there. Two sites were taken by walk in campers who had left thier cars ( in the best two sites:mad:)
I settled in to a nice beach front campsite for the night. Took a nap early so I could get up after midnight for the meteor shower...It did not disappoint. I heard a report on the radio that said they were expecting 120 meteors per minute at the peak. I thought this must be a typo. Not sure about 120 per minute, but more than I can ever remember seeing. It seemed like there was always one flying across the sky. I saw three at once more than a few times..

My stay at Mottle was mystical! Even though I arrived after dark, and left before light, It is my new favorite campground in CA.

I went out to Windy Point the morning after Mattole. I wanted to check out a four wheel drive road, It was closed for the season.

The overlook shots are looking down over Mattole beach.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2352.jpg
  • DSCN2353.jpg
  • DSCN2354.jpg

#6 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:44 AM

The road out of Mattole to the South is nothing short of extraordinary...Through the Redwoods and back to the 101S. for Bodega Bay. Looking for another stellar campsite..

Poor photo quality, but WOW! what a drive..

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2356.jpg
  • DSCN2358.jpg

#7 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:48 AM

Sounds like a fun little adventure you had....sweet pics!!

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#8 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:54 AM

Heading south, i took the long way through Fort Bragg. Another tough road down to that stretch of caost, but well worth it.

Stopped just north of Bodega Bay at Gerstle Cove campground. The day use area was awesome! Down by the beach with big cliffs and cool trees, beautiful! The campground however was up the hill next to the Hwy, road noise:(..
As I was leaving the day use area and going up to the campground the ranger came by on his nightly sweep. I paid to camp and he said I could stay at the bottom of the hill in the overflow parking lot....not as nice as the day use area, but, down by the ocean away from the raod and level.

Day use area...

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2363.jpg

#9 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:59 AM

Woke up and drove 10 hours home for my sons birthday..

This was a Monday through Saturday trip..2400 miles.

Thanks for reading along.

Tom

campsite overflow lot at Gerstle Cove

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2360.jpg

#10 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:09 AM

Thanks Sunman,
I really did not plan to do this trip. I was going to Grants Pass hell bent on turning it around asap. last minute decided to take the coast home. Didn't even bring a board, of course waves every where I went..Point Arena was going nuts with six guys out..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users