• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:29 PM

Thanks Tomas,
Great trip and parts of the coast I have never seen. The photos are sweet. When I lived in Oregon my friends on the coast shared the secret that there are some fantastic days in the winter...the trick is to be there when they happen.
Brian

#12 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:56 PM

Brian, I want to misquote you just a little:

[In life]...the trick is to be there when [it] happens.

Thanks, Tomas, for affording us the next best thing with your pictures and words.

#13 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:20 PM

Tom,
what is REALLY COOL is to take the Kings Range road south from Mattole to Shelter Cove and from there, Usal Road south to Hwy 1. Usal connects right as 101 hits the coast at Hwy 1.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#14 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:06 PM

Another excellent report Tomas. :cool:

I really regretted not having time to drive down to the Lost Coast last month. Even more now that I see your photos...

It sounds like we covered some of the same areas; Mendocino, Bodega Bay (how 'bout that foghorn that never sleeps? )the Redwoods and southern Oregon. And yeah, surprisingly cold.

Love the sunset photos!

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#15 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:06 PM

My stay at Mottle was mystical! Even though I arrived after dark, and left before light, It is my new favorite campground in CA.

Me too! I loved that place! I took another trip to the area in late fall (a non-camping significant other type of trip) and again had a wonderful time. Ran in the Redwoods and along the coast in the Kings Range. Almost makes me want to move down to the area......

#16 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:31 PM

Thomas,

Thanks for the write up and the great pics. I used to live in "Cleone" which is the first town past Fort Bragg when heading north on Hwy1. The Lost coast has many neat little spots for camping and the scenery is unbelievable. The drive from Fort Bragg South on Hwy.1 is one of the preatiest coastal routes their is IMHO. Glad you decided on the coast route.

Marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#17 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:25 AM

Its definitely not hit the cruise control country, but somehow the extra time going that way is always worth it. No matter what time of year. Unless of course you're unlucky enough to encounter one of the not so infrequent mud slides.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#18 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:49 AM

Herr,

I saw that Usal route on the map and,hmmmmm, looked dreamy....shoulda woulda coulda, at least to shelter cove. I -WILL- do that route some day with the Fam.

others, thanks, can't wait to get back!

A "W.T.W." Gathereing at Mattole would be saweet!

#19 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:48 PM

love those pictures you posted !

I have only made one quick trip up to the Lost Coast area with our old Grandby. We had a fun trip.

We made our trip in the summer, so the back roads were good.

We parked right on the beach (the river bed was dry so we could drive right accross it).

We must have ended up there on a high school graduation party caus' there we tons of teenagers with the 4x4 trucks racing around the beach. It was fun to see them towing each other on an old car hood turned upside down with a seat on it and a tow rope.

How fun to be young and dumb again drinking beers at the beach trying to kill each other. It did look like fun, I have to admit.

:)

Attached Thumbnails

• campview.jpg.jpg
  • road.jpg.jpg
  • Dsc00317.jpg
  • Dsc00314.jpg
  • Dsc00318.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#20 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:00 AM

TT,
Thanks for the great pictures. Enjoyed reading about your trip and the various camp sites.

2017 Ram 3500 6.4L gas SRW, CC, 2wd, 8' bed

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users