27 replies to this topic

#1 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

The Ski3pins, Lighthawks, and now us have posted trip reports from Gold Butte. But as of early April 2014 there is a range war of sorts taking place there. May be best to avoid the area until this is resolved.

http://www.stgeorgeu...y/#.Uz8r01dQvfo

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#2 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:16 AM

We saw (illicit?) bovines at our camp, near Little Finland.  Callie had great fun charging after them.   They were nonplussed.

I had no idea they were not supposed to be on the range.  It does seem like the native plants and animals could do without them, since the cattle were competing for minimal feed or water in the sparse ecosystem.  

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

They run cattle on FS land that I camp at regularly. Its amazing the amount of damage they do to the soft soils. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

I spent 30 years dealing with those types of problems, but it is  not just cattle and sheep overgrazing, throw in horses, ATVs, timber cutting and things like that-then go the other way- to many deer,  antelope, trees or what ever- over running the carrying capacity of the land-to many things for only so much land-and you can easily see why there are problems out there!! In this case it is more political than anything else, local vrs state vrs feds-a problem that has  existed since the start of our republic-and the way things are going it  will not end anytime soon! This is just like those two sisters in Nevada, or our local car magnet/rancher here (many other examples)-they both broke the grazing regs intentionally  and refused to pay to graze on public land--and yep they lost.  Never ending, seems like you start to get things under control (multi-use-LUP's -that's why there is a special thread here on public lands) and some new pol comes in does something that throws everything back to step one! I don't miss those days at all!

Not to many years ago  our political masters in order to appease certain political groups, told us during one of the regular outbreaks of the "Sagebrush Rebellion" in Nevada  to not resist when state LE  tried to arrest us while we were  working on Public Land-even created "a get-out of jail free" card for us to carry in case someone tried to really arrest us-only 24 hours in jail. This wonderful idea lasted until the physical  memo  reached the first BLM/FS or other fed cop-no way that's gonna happen buster!  All you can do is attend those government planning meetings, say your peice and hope for the best!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 05 April 2014 - 08:08 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#5 montana-moods

montana-moods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHelena, Montana

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

Amen brother smoke! We support ( on a limited basis) cows not condos, as long as it's not too many cows. But there is always too many cows it seems. Having worked in Nevada a couple of times doing vegetation monitoring, i always wondered what do they eat. Grass other then an annual brome is scarce indeed.

Dodge Ram 2500 with a FWC Hawk flatbed now tried and tested.  

Working to hold back entropy one day at a time.

#6 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:40 AM

And now for part two:

http://www.reviewjou...rn-clark-county

Edited by LuckyDan, 07 April 2014 - 05:42 AM.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#7 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

I have to laugh about the part about 500,000 hamburgers. Like the Bundy's cattle
are going to make a difference in beef prices. Less than 2% of beef production
comes from rangeland and his scrawny cattle hardly have enough meat on them to make a couple of streaks.

One of the Bundys was arrested yesterday. Hope this will be resolved soon. I spend
a lot time wandering around the Arizona Strip. The old ranching families out there do march to a different drummer.

Dsrtrat

http://www.mynews3.c...zq70psP4Zw.cspx

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:47 AM

It's that dadburn 'gubermint'. Bundy's just takin' back our 'merica.

You know, I want to see people succeed in places like this, but I'm not in favor of them ruining it for everyone else. They may have lived there for generations, but the government lands belong to all of us.

I am haunted by waters

#9 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:19 AM

Reno news talked about him today, and hey, he may be a "rancher" but he isn't a real one , this is all politics, if he had a point in his favor, the "Sagebrush Rebellion " bunch would be yelling--and they are not , so maybe some more of our land will be open to our "wandering the west"; fewer cows, means more grass and bigger cows and more $ for those cows that remain-their  choice, not ours!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#10 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:39 AM

It keeps getting more n more interesting....

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users