56 replies to this topic

#1 norcalhusky

norcalhusky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

Hi all, I'm a recently new owner to a 1999 Hawk. I've wanted a FWC for most of my life it seems and finally made it happen :) I live near the owners rally this year and am looking forward to checking out everyones custom mods. 

I have taken the camper out a few times now and  absolutely love it but have a couple questions that hopefully everyone can help answer.

1. The battery condition monitor. I have a brand new Interstate AGM/Deep cycle battery that I installed in the camper. The monitor only ever seems to say weak/fair. I think it said "good" once when I had a battery charger connected to the battery. Is this normal? It makes me feel like I shouldn't be using power all the time.

2. The fresh water monitor. This one seems to just say full no matter how much water is in it. Is there a float or something that is stuck in the fresh water tank? I'm not sure how it measures how much liquid is in the tank.

3. I have been still bringing an ice chest with me as I don't have a method of keeping the fridge cool while driving. Will the 140 Watt solar kit from solarblvd.com do the trick? I recognize its probably not the best components but has a good entry price and could likely be upgraded later.

4. Filling the water tank. How does everyone accomplish this? I've been using a 7 gallon portable tank, bringing it to a fresh water fill up place, and then standing on a stool with the tank on my shoulder and dumping the water into a funnel that is stuck into the filling hole. There has to be a better way..

5. What are the next winning lotto numbers? I would like to retire young and travel in this for a while ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2079.jpg

#2 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:16 PM

Don't know what kind of fridge you have, so can't tell you what all of your options are when driving. I have a 3 way and have found If I'm plugged in(120v) I can precool before leaving to about 36-38 degrees and I can drive for 2-21/2 hrs. and fridge temp will only be low 40s( moderate weather, temp at 80 or lower). When we arrive I prefer the propane to using 12v, unless there is 120v avail. If the drive is longer I prefer 12v, but can also use propane. Get a good drinking water hose for your water fill up.

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:29 PM

1. Get a volt meter and see what you really have and what you have when the engine is running.

2. At its age I doubt this will function again. 

3. 140 watts of solar should be adequate depending on just what you're doing.

4. I use a garden hose.

5. If you find out let me know ;)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:15 AM

#4- Set the container on the roof and use a siphon hose to the tank. Walk away and do something else
until it fills.
Dsrtrat

#5 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:19 AM

Feel free to come see me at the rally.

I can give you most any details you might be missing or have additional questions about.

Thanks!

:)

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#6 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:34 AM

There are no moving parts in the water monitor. The tank has 4 conductive feedthroughs at the bottom, 1/3, 2/3 and top. The top 3 are wired through resistors in parallel. As the water level drops the resistance referenced to the bottom probe increases as each upper probe is uncovered.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#7 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:06 PM

Hi NorCal = Welcome to the Family,

1. Camping World has a hose attachment. Screw on your hose stick the "tube" in your water inlet. see link
http://www.campingwo...-off-valve/4674

Apology and correction

2, Full Eagle camper came with an IOTA power converter and as an option an aux battery. When you are on "shore power" and the Master switch is pulled out the "charger/maintainer" charges the aux battery and runs your 12 volt and 110 volt appliances.

3.. On the shell model with the aux battery - WITHOUT the IOTA converter there is NO on-board "charger-maintainer".

4 . If the camper came with the aux battery there is a Separator attached.  Separator purpose is to protect the truck battery from being drawn down by the equipment (3-way refer} in the camper.  

As "Beach" recommends lower the Fridge temp in your 3-way using 110 volt to 38-39*. When your ready to drive off start the truck and switch  to the battery -  NOTE: 3-way refer draws 11.8 amps from the battery so don't run it with the engine off for more than 10 minutes (about the time it takes to get a tank of gas, drink, and make a bathroom stop).

3. To check the condition of the battery, purchase a digital "multi-meter" from your local auto parts store and check the battery condition while the engine is running. If the charger is working the battery voltage should be around 12.7-13.2 volts. Turn on the fridge and it should register 12.5 volts or more.

5. No suggestions on the water level monitor.

You didn't say how long the camper was in storage before you bought it. If it was for longer than 6 months I would take it to a RV service center and have the fridge, furnace, water system checked as rust builds up in the "orifices" and can break loose affecting their operation at any time. Hope all these suggestions help.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 30 July 2014 - 12:32 AM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#8 norcalhusky

norcalhusky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:20 PM

Thanks for the tips all. I appreciate it!

I do have a multimeter. Taking a reading of the battery shows a good 12.5 volts. The house battery is NOT connected to the trucks alternator, nor does the shore power have a trickle charger from what I can tell so the only method I have to charge the battery is with an external charger (until I do solar I guess). Maybe I'll pull off the face of the cabinet and see whats in there.

My dog Kaya found her spot the first time in the camper :)

13700355004_d2a98c8db1.jpg

#9 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:57 PM

Cool dog!

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:52 AM

Why not hook it up to the truck? Thats the way FWC does it. Let the truck get the bulk charge on and then let the solar finish it off.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users