66 replies to this topic

#11 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:05 AM

I like the idea of for more than just a show and tell. It can be fun to explore areas in a group and/or hang out with like minded people. If people gave shout outs to informal or formal rallies I would definintely try to make it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#12 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:47 AM

We would certainly be interested, but due to most of my "really need to be around for work" being the summer (I am in wildland fire management) October would be the best for us. But, if not this year, then another!

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#13 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:40 AM

I think Les has a good idea. Sometimes I'm not group happy either but stopping by and doing what we like to do in the area would be good.

Retiring soon and I too can see that the days could be just packed. Being a crew leader volunteer and sawyer with the Tahoe Rim Trail I will have more time to spend on the trail. I have missed a lot of weekdays due to work. Summer will go fast with a couple of trips out of the country for us.

But if time allows and I see where people might congregate, I would not mind stopping by and harassing fellow WTW'ers. Maybe even give slide shows from recent and past trips.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#14 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:12 AM

Does it really need organization? What If I said, for example, "Eureka Sand Dune, May 3rd-5th" or "Cathedral Gorge S.P. campground, Oct. 10th-12th"? How much more organizing does it need to have? Having never organized much less attended such an event I'm naive about what has to happen behind the scenes.

Like Mark said, those things happen occasionally and work out well. But in that case individuals are still doing their own thing during the day and happen to camp in the same location at night. In the previous rallies the group would travel to destinations or explore as a caravan, and often meals were done kind of like a pot luck.

I would be interested in something a little further north. SE Oregon, North Nevada or CA.

Steen's Mountain (SE Oregon) area has intrigued me for a while. Owhyhee River (NW Nevada) area has a lot of potential also. And Lassen NF (NorCal) has a number of lakes for a kayak/canoeing focused group.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#15 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Steens is pretty awesome (we've backpacked in Fall) and there's a campground there near Blitzen (I think that's it) and are headed to the Owhyees next weekend but the that area is huge. 

Edited by kmcintyre, 13 April 2014 - 02:31 PM.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#16 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

There are four campgrounds at the Steens, Page Springs, Fish Lake, Jackman Park and South Steens. The first two being the most popular. There are also a few back country spots, but nothing that would handle large numbers. Quite a bit to do in the area. Late July, early August have seen us back packing, mountain biking, telemarking, fly fishing and just enjoying life. The east side has a variety of things as well.

Another spot that is interesting is down at Hart Mountain Antelope Refuge.

I am haunted by waters

#17 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:28 PM

I'd really enjoy joining a get together like this especially to meet lots of the folks I've interacted with here on WTW.

Unfortunately, I'm guessing that most of you folks are located within a few hundred miles of the west coast and would understandably want to have the rally convenient for most prospective attendees.

Those of us in NM or CO, or the few even farther east, would have to be able to plan well in advance to dedicate the time to travel, assuming we had the time and were interested in making the effort for the trip.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#18 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

How about KOFA? Good for CA, NM, CO AZ. Or TheNorth Rim.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#19 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

Definitely interested. I really wanted to make the Black Rock trip. October sounds good. Most all the areas mentioned would work for me. Unfortunately its most likely going to be weekend only (unless work gets really slow again).

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#20 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

How about KOFA? Good for CA, NM, CO AZ. Or TheNorth Rim.

Anyone going to http://www.overlandexpo.com?

I never seem to have the desire to venture out of CO but I'm thinking it is time to broaden my horizons.

Middle to end of May including Moab, SE Utah, Expo and the North Rim.

I keep reading about these areas.....guess it is time to go while the snow melts here. 

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users