66 replies to this topic

#21 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

This topic was moved to Trip Planning (with a link to here left in Lounge) as folks are planning -- or talking about planning -- now.

Steens is great -- the crown jewel of southeast Oregon, some say national park quality, but...

...two of the campgrounds are small and none are reservable (AFAIK), and since we'd likely plan this for a weekend (to make it easier for working folks) there easily could be not enough (or no) room for us (based on my experience).  Would be a shame for someone to drive hundreds of miles and not have a place to camp, but...

Maybe if there wasn't a big WTW group we might get lucky and there'd be room at Page Springs -- the largest C.G. there with 36 campsites.

Southeast Oregon BLM Recreation

SE-OR-1.jpg

An option could be to stay on primitive BLM land nearby, around the base of Steens.  Maybe on the Alvord Desert side -- the east side of Steens...

Not sure if Steens -- as much as I love it, would be my choice for a Rally, but maybe that's just because I've been in that area so many, many times that I'd rather Rally someplace less familiar.

I've been to the Black Rock Desert (in northwest Nevada) several times, too, but not as much, and though there was a WTW rally there in 2011, I could easily go back -- it's a really huge area.  And a little more centrally located (that is, further south) than Steens.  A visit to the Black Rock would be best in October -- too hot mid-summer, in my opinion.

Or...a rendezvous in the Sierras.  Though I grew up in California and I camped there as a kid, in modern times I've mainly just visited the eastern Sierra, so a west-side visit (like the 2010 Pork Rally) would be OK with me, too.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#22 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

I missed the last Soldier Meadow s-Black Rock trip too -even though it was in the back yard. Been on a few small runs with WTW since then (just got back from one), but we all need to remember, it is real dry out there, and anyone who  wants to plan anything above just a couple of folks meeting to play, we have to make sure to contact  the BLM/FS to check on the fire conditions-there are going to be allot of rehab/fire crews wandering around out there-and we don't need to start any fires and ruin our welcome. The north Warners/Modoc NF had more rain/snow than the south and western Nevada this year and there are lot's of possibilities there-the res. are full, unlike down here.There is a real good chance that the woods around here will be closed to wood cutting (no primitive camping except in CG's) and the desert put on Red Flag warnings early  this year in NEca/NW/NC Nevada-so you may have to keep your trips to the gravel roads and take care about heading into the real back country this year-and again check before you head out. Need to plan allot this year. Must be time to head over to Ash Creek and Janes Res on the Modoc (TR's here) to check out the fishing before it gets to hot.

Back in another life, I used to run allot of what we called "Adventures in the Past" and"know your public lands tours "on a monthly or more basis during good weather, and from what I have seen, WTW trips are like Mark says, a loooose version of what we used to do. People set up a meeting place and general trip plan here on the site, then met somewhere at such and such a date and go from there, and people come and go, and who ever knows something neat about any area "imparts his wisdom on the rest " and off to some adventures.  I once led 35 trucks out into the Smoke Creek Desert to see the sights, but unlike you guys, lot's of these people knew nothing  about how to survive out there and we had to have a trail vehicle and once even a cop to follow the group and pick up the bodies. Five to ten or so rigs was just about right and manageable. As a further word of caution, large groups of people driving around together out in the desert/woods attract  attention from those who both use and manage these wonderful public lands (read permits and stuff like that). Several years ago we had a large group of people show up out here to work on one of our national trails, unfortunately, they forgot to call us and we had several wild horse round ups going on, plus other things, and 40-50 people/vehicles showing up sort of caused a problem or too! A loose group of vehicles sort of following each other, can have a lot more fun. and not attract unwanted attention.

Bob and me are  still planning to continue doing our usual loop trips-some short-some long( like lot's of you guys do too) from here north then west to the Steins- Eastern Oregon , then down into Nevada and points south to Austin and points south (sort of the route "Ski/lady went on, plus a closer look at certain other areas! Lot's of the places named so far above all deserve attention, and most of us try to let WTW know when and where were are headed. Also plan to play around in the "Inner" SW Oregon area  and Central Nevada too. Again because of the fire conditions, you will need lots of "plan B's" this year. Lot's of places to go out there,  and any big Rally events should start before the summer hits or in the Fall/Winter  because this year could be complicated because of the weather.  Happy wandering!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 13 April 2014 - 08:59 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#23 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:34 PM

I missed the pork rally, Blackrock Desert, and Colorado rally, but I don't think any rally ever went above 10 vehicles. People are limited by time or location no matter where or when you plan the trip. Therefore, I don't think it would be a large enough group that a permit would be necessary. On the other hand, something could be planned where we reserved a group sight at an established campground and do day trips from there. That way we are nice and legal without imposing on others.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#24 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:20 PM

The Pork rally was done at a campground. It is nice having a bathroom nearby. Anything after Labor Day increases the chances of finding sites.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#25 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:07 AM

The Pork rally was done at a campground. It is nice having a bathroom nearby. Anything after Labor Day increases the chances of finding sites.

I like having a toilet (outhouse) -- especially if it's a multi-rig group.  The 2011 Black Rock Rally, though it was a primitive c.g., had a toilet, too, at the first night's location.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#26 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:41 PM

Count us in. We just returned form 3 weeks in WA/OR/CA/NV and plan another jaunt from mid May to mid June. Then we do local stuff during the week until after Labor Day. Steens, Black Rock, whatever. 

2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

#27 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

Count me in as well.

#28 mynxd

mynxd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWest Vancouver, BC

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

We are interested in attending.

2010 Siverado 4x4, 2012 ATC Ocelot

#29 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:53 PM

Interested, someone needs to pick a place and time (or at least a month).  All us retired campers get busy and need to get this on our calendars.  :P

#30 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

Looking for free, and most likely primitive campgrounds (Forest Service/BLM Land, etc.) they will be? 

Check out this website:  FreeCampsites.net.  This site gives a brief description of the campground and the surrounding area.

There seems to be many free campgrounds (green symbol) listed throughout the west and beyond on this site.  Remember, having the type/style of camper that we have allows us the freedom to take the road less traveled. We get to the area of choice, set up (base) camp with like minded campers and we have a good time.  We can still venture out and explore during the day...No fees, no hassle...     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users