#1 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:51 PM

Hola Wanderers...

I took off for a quick strike trip to Baja the day after Christmas with the dog and a couple of buddies. More importantly, it was my first shake down trip in the new Hawk (about darn time), my buddy joined with his Grandby/2007 Tundra combo.

We spent three nights at a right point in Baja Norte not too far down from Ensenada, surfed some OK waves, ate like kings, and drank like...well...uh, we won't go there right now. All in all a great trip, nice weather except for some light rain on departure day.

Observations on my Hawk/Tundra set up....not that I didn't know this already, but loaded down with boards, gear and a half tank of water, airbags are in my VERY NEAR future!!
The water tank leaked a little as I've read in previous discussions too, but no biggie. Also, a handful of the screws holding the couch/bed structure together seemed to rattle out, I've since re-inserted with silicone, we'll see if that holds on the next trip. Since I have no furnace I opted to go with a Coleman Black Cat heater which worked nicely. In summation, completely stoked on the set up.

Well, gotta go clean up the rig and prep as I'm heading out again tomorrow with the GF for a quick New Years Eve overnighter in the local Los Padres mountains. Attached are a few pics from the trip...

Attached Thumbnails

• truckcliff1.jpg
  • campo.jpg
  • dinner.jpg
  • mesaview.jpg
  • overhead.jpg

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#2 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:52 PM

from looks of pictures you had the beach to yourself,does it seem like their are less people from north of border ? with all of the stories of rip off's etc,seems like people are thinking twice before stopping or camping in baja norte your thoughts on this ,looks like it was on the cool side ,were you doing some diving or did you buy the bug? anyway always love to see baja pictures glad you rig worked out,now you can start adding things to make trips better!drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

#3 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:57 AM

Que Pasa Sunman. Cool pics. That Lobster is making me hungry for a Baja trip.

Marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#4 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:09 PM

Lqhikers,
There was one other rig camped way down from us and a couple of other rigs came in and camped for a single night and left, but essentially the place was ours. Driving down from TJ I noticed most of the typically gringo populated areas were gringo-less for the most part, there were 2 cruise ships in Ensenada on the way out on Saturday though (Craig333 ??). Wouldn't normally camp in Norte but was short on time and off the beaten path somewhat (25 miles off of Mex 1), I certainly wouldn't camp anywhere near Ensenada or San Quintin. The bug was from the the fish camp. Definitely chilly in the afternoons/evenings with the wind, especially after spending hours in the water, nothing ole Don Julio didn't cure though!

Gracias Marcos, the langosta was outstanding!

One final note...my rear door window rattled loose on the washboard and was flopping around, looks like I'll be doing the window mods in previous threads later this week! Have a safe and Happy New Year everyone...

Sunman

#5 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:14 PM

awesome pics sunman, great rig!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:25 PM

Our ship left port Friday. I should have brought binoculars (though with the way the ship was rocking they might have been hard to use). I'm sure I would have noticed an fwc up on the hill. My mom told me "you don't need to bring a jacket" I'm sure glad I didnt listen to her. It was cold most of the time.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

Very nice SunMan.

The new Hawk looks great on the d-cab. That big, cheesy grin must come standard with the FWC/lobster/Baja/Don Julio/beachside campsite.

Cool stuff - :cool:

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#8 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:48 PM

You got that right KCOWYO!

OBTW, never heard how your run up the Pacific coast a while back was? I think you were talking about doing Big Sur among other places...or did I miss a report?

Sunman

#9 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:15 PM

You didn't miss it, I've just been slacking sort of.

I did make the trip, including Big Sur. I'll try to put something together and post it up soon -

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users