#1 dashboardburrito

dashboardburrito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationMontrose, CO

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

I just bought a 1995 LaVeta and am looking to fix her up a bit...

1) First off is installing a solar panal. This camper is very simple and does not have an inverter. I'd be using the panel to keep the battery topped off for the lights and heater, and to use the 12 volt plug inside for small electronics. I've read several threads on this, but- still wondering if I should go with an adhesive panel or drill into the roof...? I live about 2 hours away from Hallmark, so I'll probably have them do the install. 

2) I want to put Yakima cross bars on the top to carry raft oars and other such things. I don't want a track system (too many holes). On a post I read I saw where A-frame brackets were used to support round cross bars. Anyone have any leads on where to get these kinds of brackets (I think Coleman made them, but don't anymore).

3) What's the best way to clean/buff out the outer surface of the camper? Rubbing compound?

Thanks for any advice. P4270004.JPG

#2 Mr. Vertical

Mr. Vertical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Location80461

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:54 AM

Nice rig!

On the solar, Search "Zamp Solar"

ZS 120P not cheap, but like I tell the wife, "am worth it"!

#3 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

The "Handy Bob" blog on solar is linked around here in several places. Strongly suggest reading and digesting it before making any move on solar. This probably isn't a single evening's endeavor.

Might want to install some sort of real battery monitor first so that you can assess how much power you use. Then you can size the panel(s) more appropriately. I installed the Bogart Engineering Tri-Metric (which isn't inexpensive), but others have used the "Watts Up" available from amazon. The Watts Up needs to be installed directly in the battery power & ground wires. The Tri-Metric uses a precision shunt in the ground wire and can be remote mounted.The links below may have other options worth considering.

If you're willing to do the work yourself there are too many solar options. I'd start with these two links:

http://www.solar-electric.com/

http://www.solarblvd.com/

I built my own brackets and have 8 holes in the roof that are sealed with 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive-Sealant.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users