Baja Adventure 2007

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:29 AM

Well here in Washington the weather has been getting colder and the days seem more overcast and rainy than ever. So I said to myself...self...it's probably time to share my Baja 2007 Adventure with you guys to make the winter blues go away. Our trip took place from 15-27 October 2007.
So here we go...
I drove my 1994 4X4 Ford Sportsmobile. Also along with me were my brother Hal and his girl friend Janet. They were in thier 1996 F250 4X4 diesel with a FourWheel Camper. Also Janet's brother and his wife. Lucky for us they are both fluent in the Spanish language. They have a F250 4X4 and a FWC too. We had a good trip and I thought I would give you an update.

Day one: We left the campground at San Ysidro (Pacific Rv) and headed for the border. We went through Tijuana and headed south. After going through the usual toll booths we arrived in Ensenada. We shopped and toured a little. We went to the fish market and exchanged a little money. We got 10.73 on the current exchange rate. We drove out on Hwy 23 and went to La Bufadora and camped. The cost was $10. The showers were cold and we were the only campers in the RV park. The ocean was calm.

Attached Thumbnails

• ysidro.jpg
  • smbysidro.jpg
  • blow.jpg

#2 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:40 AM

Day two: We drove south through San Quintin. There are many new Pemex stations along the route. We came to several check points but were waved through. After arriving in El Rosario we took a right on the curve just past the Pemex. This lead us to the beach down a dirt road about 3 miles. The weather was warm and the ocean nice. No one around. the beach all to ourselves.

Attached Thumbnails

• beach.jpg
  • trail.jpg

#3 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:02 AM

Day three: We drove down farther south to the rock fields near Cativna and entered the Turtle Camp. There have been several large camp fires and some of the brush is burnt. The weather was very HOT! We drove out through the desert toward the Lobster Camp. The road had very recently been graded. The dirt road was smooth as butter! When we got to the Lobster Camp the wind was blowing. Around 20-30 mph. Would tomorrow bring us Lobsters? We camped in the wind and waited for the morrow. No such luck! The wind had defeated us. We were told to call before we came next time. So we headed out.

Attached Thumbnails

• TC.jpg
  • TC1.jpg
  • TC3.jpg

#4 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

awesome posse, great rigs and pics!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#5 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

Good stuff Captain,
Just missed crossing paths, i was down there 29 Sep. - 14 Oct.
Hope to see some more pics.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#6 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:50 PM

Days four & five: We drove farther south then I have ever been. We took a left at the Junction Bahia De Los Angeles. We were on the way to paradise! Newly paved road and the most beautiful Sea at the end of the road. THERE ARE NOW two new Pemex stations in Bahia De Los Angeles! One a gas/diesel and the other just gasoline. We took a left at the round-a-bout. We went to Daggots camp. Flush toilets and HOT showers. Camped on the beach just yards from the Sea Of Cortz. The water was warm and the weather was hot. Around 90. We had our own Cabana. All this for only $10 a night. I would have stayed my whole vacation there!

Attached Thumbnails

• BLA.jpg
  • dag.jpg
  • dag2.jpg
  • dag3.jpg

#7 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:07 PM

Day six: We drove north back to where you cooked the Lobster last year. Not a good move! The SCORE Baja 1000 track was open for pre-race running. We were almost run down by a jeep. We decided to move. We went back to the Chapala Junction and turned east. We drove into the desert. After about 10 miles we found a nice wash and entered. We named our camp "Jack Rabbit" for the huge rabbit we saw coming in. There was a nice out crop of rocks to camp next to and we were off the road. I made a very nice fire ring out of hand picked stones and we had a great fire.

Attached Thumbnails

• rock pile.jpg
  • RP1.jpg
  • RP2.jpg
  • fire pit.jpg
  • campfire.jpg

#8 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:10 PM

Great shots and description Cap. Two FWCs and a Sportsmobile do make an excellent group. Thanks for sharing.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#9 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

Day seven: Early in the morning we entered Coco's Corner. Coco was not there. We purchased sodas and tee shirts from his helper and were given stickers for our vehicles. We signed the guest book and I even put a business card on the board. The road to Alfonsina's was in good condition. When we arrived the winds had began to blow. Very hard wind. The sand at Campo Grande was being blown at 40-50 mph. It was like a sand blaster! I was told about the Santa Anna winds and a possible hurricane on the southern tip of the Baja. We left and started down the "Road To Hell".
If you thought the road was bad last year "you ain't seen nothin' yet"! What a horrific road. I told myself I would never travel that stretch again. We go to where we camped at Gonzaga Bay and there were 25 ft waves crashing onto the beach. Way to windy to camp. We moved on farther north. As we entered San Felipe there was a "white out" from blowing sand off the beach. Sand was piled in the roadway. My brother and his party decide to get a room out of the wind. They stayed at George's Motel. I opted to stay in my Sportsmobile and went the campground we stayed in last year. Here is where things get exciting...There is a bar (Bandio's) that just re-opened. The back door opens up next to the los Bano's (bathrooms) at the RV park. The music was loud. The bar closed a 3AM! What I didn't know was someone was parked in the RV park that was in the bar. I had been trying to sleep over the noise and singing and had finally fallen asleep. With a loud metallic crunch and the rocking of my van I knew I had been hit. My alarm went off and lights and horns were sounding. I jump from my sleep and ran out in just my shorts to see the vehicle taking off out of the park. Did they stop...Hell No! Lucky for me only a very little mark was left on my Sportsmobile. But they surely smashed up thier left front fender but good. Little to say I had a very sleepless night. I was unable to find the manager to tell her. I did explain to some of the other guests why my alarm had sounded. That's when I heard about the wild fires in California.

Attached Thumbnails

• coco.jpg
  • cane.jpg
  • hell.jpg

#10 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:31 PM

Day eight: Time to make a run for the border. We decided to get out while the getting was good. The wind was still blowing hard and now fires. We were going to Mexicalli. The border was closed at Tecate. We came to the only military check point left. We were stopped! All vehicles were searched. Thank goodness we knew what to expect and what to do. All went well. This was the only "true" stop we were required to make. The border was cool.

Attached Thumbnails

• out.jpg
  • BA17.JPG
  • BC47.JPG
  • FWC2A.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users