20 replies to this topic

#1 Grays_and_Shadow

Grays_and_Shadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

Hi,

We just bought a new 2014 Hawk.  Opted for the pricey outside shower.  Problem is with the water pressure.  We adjust the temperature to warm, then, as the pump goes on, we get blasts of cold water.  Then the temperature goes back to warm, then the pump turns on, then more blasts of cold water.

We called the Four Wheel Camper factory in California, they said they can't duplicate the problem at the factory.  We live in Colorado, so driving to the factory in California is not an option. We completely replaced the outside shower facet, and removed the back-flow valves.   That did not help.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Anything we should look at, replace or install to fix this?

Thanks so much for your help.

Sign, 

Frustrated in Colorado.

#2 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

I had some minor issues with the same problem when my Hawk was first used.   Here's what I did on my 2013 Hawk with outside shower.  I hope my experience helps you:

Crank the hot water all the way open at the faucet handle (outside) and crack the cold only slightly to get your desired warm temperature.  You will only need a little bit of cold to get 'warm' water for a shower or to wash your hands etc...  

This should give you the proper results, however one caveat is that you will be wasting water if you don't use the knob on the top of the shower handle for you to take 'Navy' style showers.  (For all the non-military types out there, the navy shower is a short burst of water to get you wet, followed by shutting the water off and soaping up.  Then, blast the water onto your body (hopefully warm!) to get all the soap off.  Then, shut the water off at the shower-head for the next person.)   

I take lots of hot showers this way with no cold/hot fluctuating water issues like you mention above.  Not a day goes by when I'm camping that I don't get a nice hot shower.  As a note, I do carry a small pump to draw water out of any nearby water source (boat ramps at lakes creekside, etc.) and a Grolsh beer bottle with small chlorine pellets to drop into my water tank and treat the water before use.  We don't drink it but just use the tank water to wash dishes and shower with.   We can top off our tank in about 10 minutes time including setup of the pump & strainer to draw water.   On a 3 night camping trip if my wife and I both want hot showers, we draw & fill the tank only one time by outside source.   On a week long adventure we usually draw twice, unless no water source is around.  In that case - wet wipes are your friend because you have to skimp on water!

Play around with the wand and faucet handles to assure you're getting the pump running all the time with no fluctuations.   Don't trickle the water out but use the shutoff knob on the shower head to control when you need the warm water.

I hope this helps.

Kilroy 

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

That's pretty much how I do it. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that when you initially shut the shower head off and soap up, the water sits in the line for a few minutes.  When you turn the water back on, it may take a second or two for the water to get to the temperature you initially set it at in my steps above.  It may shoot out colder or hotter water than you initially thought until it 'evens back out'.

Does that make sense?   

in either case, stay with it and you'll find a happy medium...

#5 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

Did you buy it from Chris the dealer here in Denver?

http://rockymountain...heelcampers.com

If the above suggestions don't solve the problem check with him.

He is a great resource.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#6 Grays_and_Shadow

Grays_and_Shadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:35 PM

Did you buy it from Chris the dealer here in Denver?

http://rockymountain...heelcampers.com

If the above suggestions don't solve the problem check with him.

He is a great resource.

yes, we bought it from Chris is Denver.  He told us to call the factory in California.  We will call him again Monday and see what he can do.  thanks.

#7 Grays_and_Shadow

Grays_and_Shadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:38 PM

I had some minor issues with the same problem when my Hawk was first used.   Here's what I did on my 2013 Hawk with outside shower.  I hope my experience helps you:

Crank the hot water all the way open at the faucet handle (outside) and crack the cold only slightly to get your desired warm temperature.  You will only need a little bit of cold to get 'warm' water for a shower or to wash your hands etc...  

This should give you the proper results, however one caveat is that you will be wasting water if you don't use the knob on the top of the shower handle for you to take 'Navy' style showers.  (For all the non-military types out there, the navy shower is a short burst of water to get you wet, followed by shutting the water off and soaping up.  Then, blast the water onto your body (hopefully warm!) to get all the soap off.  Then, shut the water off at the shower-head for the next person.)   

I take lots of hot showers this way with no cold/hot fluctuating water issues like you mention above.  Not a day goes by when I'm camping that I don't get a nice hot shower.  As a note, I do carry a small pump to draw water out of any nearby water source (boat ramps at lakes creekside, etc.) and a Grolsh beer bottle with small chlorine pellets to drop into my water tank and treat the water before use.  We don't drink it but just use the tank water to wash dishes and shower with.   We can top off our tank in about 10 minutes time including setup of the pump & strainer to draw water.   On a 3 night camping trip if my wife and I both want hot showers, we draw & fill the tank only one time by outside source.   On a week long adventure we usually draw twice, unless no water source is around.  In that case - wet wipes are your friend because you have to skimp on water!

Play around with the wand and faucet handles to assure you're getting the pump running all the time with no fluctuations.   Don't trickle the water out but use the shutoff knob on the shower head to control when you need the warm water.

I hope this helps.

Kilroy 

Hi Kilroy,

We tried everything you mentioned, with no luck.  Maybe the 2014 Hawk has a different water pump then the 2013 or maybe it has a different shower system because we can't maintain the pressure with the shower to keep the pump on.  We can maintain the water pressure in the sink to keep the water pump on, so we don't have this problem with keeping a consistent temperature at the sink. 

Thanks

Sandy

#8 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:15 PM

Maybe rayct77, K-O's, or somebody else with a 2014 will chime in here and validate this.

#9 Fyreman

Fyreman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:35 PM

Is there a proportioning or adjustment valve inside that diverts the water to the shower that needs to be opened more?

#10 Grays_and_Shadow

Grays_and_Shadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

Is there a proportioning or adjustment valve inside that diverts the water to the shower that needs to be opened more?

we looked and didn't see anything.  Just a t-connection that splits the water between the shower and the sink.   Thanks, that would have been an easy fix. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shower, Hawk, Problems, Help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users