• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:17 PM

I have had my new Grandby just shy of two weeks now.  There are a few new things that FWC installs now, that haven't made it to their website as of yet.  Maybe this stuff is of interest to potential buyers.

Thermostat - they are installing a digital heat-only White Rogers thermostat now if you order the furnace. Battery-operated so you can see the inside temp, The only two things I could wish for is that it were black to match the rest of the controls, and that it had a temp setting lower than 45 degrees.

New solar controller  - if you order their solar panel.  They now install a Zamp Solar ZS-15AW controller.  You can read the specs at this link.

http://www.zampsolar.../1391014851.pdf

I like how it always shows the battery voltage, and when it is actively charging, it will show the charging amps, and the amp hours it has charged since it was last activated (ie. that morning).

I used the amp feature to prove that simply shading the panel with a Yakima crossbar knocks about 25% off of the charging amps.  The amp hour feature will come in handy to see how my pre-purchase estimates of charging capability match up to the real world charging.

Solar wiring - I also ordered the rear wall plug, and learned that FWC wired it to the controller.  I had never asked about this prior, and had assumed they'd just leave the wiring into the battery compartment.  I haven't decided if I will leave it this way or not, but it does allow me to plug in a plain solar panel (of 150W or less) into the exterior plug and stay within the amp rating of the factory controller.

Door hold-open latch.  FWC now installs a nicely finished cast aluminum door latch device to positively hold open the entry door.

I posted photos of the new latch into a gallery, thinking I could then post them into a thread - but heres a link if you are interested http://www.wanderthe...-camper-photos/

I learned a great deal from this site in the last few months, maybe this info will be useful to someone.

Dave

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#2 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:30 PM

I just use a bungee cord from the door to my jack bracket when it's windy. It's good that they came up with a better fix than the plunger.

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:45 AM

Desert Dave.  Nice write up.  I take delivery on my Grandby in Mid-July.  I also got the 100-watt solar panel on the roof and the rear plug.  I had planned on getting the portable solar panel as well, but Sean Dempsey of Go-Anywhere, the distributor in Wisconsin suggested getting the WindWalker wind generator. That way I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket with solar.  Glad to hear about the thermostat.  That was going to be a planned mod so I guess I can take that off my list.

John

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:35 AM

Nice set up DesertDan, Glad to see FWC continuing to be proactive as they make much needed improvements (in some areas) on their campers.  I also, have the new Zamp Solar Panel, however, I went with their portable 80W panel with an outside plug and I like it very much.  Nice to follow the sun w/o moving the camper.  Seems like a high quality panel/monitor combination, (I recall something about German/USA made).  Also, I installed a thermostat, but a different brand.  The digital way with inside temp. readings is pretty sweet.  This site has been a mountain of information, along with so many great ideas from members.  Thanks to all.   

#5 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:23 PM

I forgot to mention that they also installed the IQ4 device onto the IOTA DLS-30 power convertor.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#6 raymondmom

raymondmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:02 AM

I picked up my Grandby a week ago.  I noticed that it smelled new and looked pretty.  

It does have a thermostat and the door latch.

Joanne W.

2006 F 150 4x4 SuperCab 

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 03 June 2022 - 09:43 PM

I'm wondering about that new door catch.  I have to replace the rubber in my older style one regularly, and I am curious if folks like the new style one?  It would seem you can't close the door from inside the camper with the new one?

#8 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 10:50 PM

I'm wondering about that new door catch. I have to replace the rubber in my older style one regularly, and I am curious if folks like the new style one? It would seem you can't close the door from inside the camper with the new one?

Holds the door well, but no, you can’t close from inside.

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 04 June 2022 - 12:34 AM

Holds the door well, but no, you can’t close from inside.

good to know, thanks

#10 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 01:57 PM

Howdy

Our 2019 Grandby has that door hold open catch and it does seem to work better than the older design.

David Graves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users